Placenta Eaters

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Orleander, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Genji Registered Senior Member

:bugeye: Uhhh no. Not at all. But a roasted leg of college baseball player would be a delight! Mmm-mmmmm.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fugu-dono Scholar Of Shen Zhou Registered Senior Member

Mmmm... yaki-placenta, placenta nabe, or placenta nigiri sushi.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sickpuppy Guest

This thread gets my vote for most disturbing. I couldn't finish my peanut butter and jelly.
    I was talking about it with my manager at work and he said its not uncommon.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

"peanut butter and Jelly" Now that is a horrible thought.
    Isn't that what Elvis used to eat?

8. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

when i gave birth to my third child my midwife asked me if i wanted to take the placenta home to eat it, i must admit i did think about it, apparently its best cooked like liver fried with some onions and then baked in gravy!! it also helps with post natel depression, but i went for the coffee option instead!!

because i was to scared to try placenta

Placenta Spaghetti:
    Cut meat of 3/4 placenta into bite size pieces, then brown quickly in 1 tbl. butter plus 1 tbl. oil. Then add 1 large can tomato puree, 2 cans crushed pear tomatoes, 1 onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 tbl. molasses, 1 bay leaf, 1 tbl. rosemary, 1 tsp. ea. of salt, honey, oregano, basil, and fennel. Simmer 1 1/2 hours.

Placenta Stew:
    Meat of 3/4 placenta in bite size chunks, 1 potato (cubed), 1/4 cup fresh parsley, 2 carrots, 3 ribs celery, 1 zucchini, 1 large tomato, 1 small onion. Dredge meat in 1 tbl. flour mixed with 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. paprika, pinch of cloves, pinch of pepper, 6-8 crushed coriander seeds. Saute meat in 2 tbl. oil, then add vegetables (cut up) and 4-5 cups of water. Bring to full boil, then simmer for 1 hour.

Placenta Pizza:
    Grind placenta. Saute in 2 tbl. olive oil with 4 garlic cloves, then add 1/4 tsp. fennel, 1/4 tsp. pepper, 1/4 tsp. paprika, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. oregano, 1/4 tsp. thyme, and 1/4 cup of wine. Allow to stand for 30 minutes, then use with your favorite home made pizza recipe. It's a fine placenta sausage topping.

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

uke:

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

i just barfed in my mouth a little.

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

LOL that just 'disgusting' Orleander

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

No, what's disgusting is the recipes. I can handle eating it in pill form, but cooking it up....disgusting. Its like self cannibalism.

13. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

go for a nice hot cup of coffee instead!!

i want to know what is smells like when its cooking,

uke:

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

dammit lucifer!! Are ya trying to kill me. barf barf barf

15. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

sorry!!

but honestly my midwifes asked me if i wanted to eat mine, after giving it consideration i decided to go for a coffee instead

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

yeah, I don't think its an option in the US. You probably have to ask for it and there would be a whole big legal battle to get it. (in a hospital)

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Its more like self-cannibalism:
    "Self-cannibalism is the practice of eating oneself, also called autocannibalism, or autosarcophagy."
    "Placentophagy may be a form of self-cannibalism."

Edit: sigh, wrong link and i lost it.. :shrug:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  18. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

of course there's:

Planting Your Placenta

Many people freeze their placentas until they get a special tree or bush in honor of the new baby. After digging an appropriately sized hole, score the sides of the hole so the soil is more amenable to tender roots. Put the placenta in, and cover it with a half to a full inch of soil before placing the plant on top of it. Hold the plant steady while the rest of the hole is filled. Water the plant well after planting. Newly planted trees and shrubs need to be watered on a regular basis the first year until they form a good root system. As the placenta breaks down in the soil, the tree or shrub will reap the benefits of all the nutrients packed in that placenta. Now, just enjoy watching your baby and new yard addition grow!

---------------------------------------

ok i wont gross you out anymore

19. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i dont know if its cannibalism i was just reading that Tom Cruise ate Katies placenta (yeah ok we all know he's a freak anyway)

20. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

You are right it's the recipes. No French Chef would cook anything without fresh herbs. The recipes are shit.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2007
  23. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i know that its more common to be offered it if you have a home birth.
    LAS VEGAS Jul 19, 2007 (AP)

Share A woman has won a court fight to keep the placenta after her daughter's birth. She had planned to grind it up and ingest it as a way to fight postpartum depression, but now plans to bury it.

Clark County District Court Judge Susan Johnson granted a preliminary injunction Tuesday, ordering Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center in southern Nevada to return the placenta to Anne Swanson.

Hospital officials said they will comply.

The hospital had refused to give the uterine lining to Swanson following the April 12 Caesarean birth of her daughter, with officials calling it contaminated biohazardous waste.

The judge ordered the hospital not to destroy the placenta, which was frozen, and ordered that it be turned over to Swanson within two weeks.

Swanson, who was 30 when she gave birth, originally wanted to give her placenta to a friend to be dried, ground into a powder and packed into capsules. She said she now plans to dry, store and eventually bury the organ instead of eating it.

"I hope this brings about a better awareness about the benefits of placenta," she said, citing a theory that placental hormones can help control postpartum blues.

Amy Stevens, system vice president for Sunrise Health, which operates Sunrise Hospital, described the ruling as specific to Swanson. She said the hospital must comply with strict regulations in handling human biohazardous waste.

There is no Nevada law prohibiting hospitals from returning placentas to mothers. But several Las Vegas area hospitals told the Las Vegas Review-Journal the organ is usually destroyed unless a physician designates it for medical tests or a patient seeks it for specific religious or cultural reasons

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2007