Pit Bulls Should Be Banned

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by valich, Dec 10, 2006.

1. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Laws in Australia require all Pit Bulls and some other breeds such as Japanese Tosa to be registered, spayed/neutered, microchipped, must be kept in an inescapable enclosure, muzzled and leashed off of their property and accompanied by someone at least 17 years old. Owners may also be fined up to $4,885 if they lose control of their dog and $2,442 if their dog escapes, or they move without notifying authorities

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/new-australian-law-deadly-for-pit-bulls.html#ixzz2ifuHVvf3

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The pit bull was originally bred for the fighting ring or "pit," that's where the name comes from. So most of them have a stronger fighting instinct than the average dog. Nonetheless, dogs are rather easy to reprogram if their owner is kind. If they're treated consistently they will behave consistently. I've met pit bulls who would not even chase rabbits or other wild prey--well except groundhogs (a burrowing marmot also known as the woodchuck), they seem to be the universal patsy here in Maryland.

It's more likely for an otherwise civilized pit bull to attack another animal, rather than a human. Like almost all dogs, they were developed to respect humans.

The Presa Canario is another breed that has developed an awful reputation in the USA. In 2006, Shawna Willey was killed by her own dog.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Agreed...It is the potential owners who should be forced to undergo a full phyco test before they are allowed to own any dog.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. marchingmadness Registered Member

Wrong. Completely Wrong.

Um, excuse me but no. They are loving creatures just like any other pet. Just because of some stereotype, you think they should be banned. Sorry, but that's not gonna cut it. Pitbulls are just like other normal dogs, they love everyone and everything, but when they're mixed up with the wrong people then bad things happen. They don't just attack for no reason. Even fighting Pitbulls can become a normal, loving dog again. In fact, they still are when they fight, they still have a heart. It's not like they've been replaced by Satan. I have 2 Pitbulls and they wouldn't hurt a fly. They are just dogs that love people and everything about the world just like every other dog. What the problem really is, is people. They make Pitbulls the bad dogs you see. When in reality, they're still just loving animals. You're argument is one sided.

8. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Basically I agree with you, and as I said in my previous post, owners of all dogs need to undergo some phyco tests.
    In saying that, Pit Bulls were originally bred for a specific purpose, and extra care is needed with the breed.
    I mean compare a Pit Bull to a Labrador?
    I have been the owner of two Rottweilers, and both were the biggest sooks one could Imagine.
    They were both treated as part of a family home, and given miles of TLC.

I now own two miniature smooth-haired Dachsunds, which by the way, also require sound discipline and TLC, as do all dogs.

9. andy1033 Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Personally i think any breed that has lock jaw, or is over a certain size dog should not be allowed for residential use.

Vile people whom think they use the dog as some extension of themselves. Amazing how many never consider others walking down the street, just have a long lead, and no head to how others feel.

I would think any dog that can lock jaw or any dog breed that grows over a certain size should not be allowed. Some dogs way as much as a full grown man, sick.

10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

andy, sounds to me like you have a fear of Dogs mate. You ever see a Newfoundland dog? Huge, about the size of a small bear. They are incredibly loving and doting, and are often used to pull distressed sailing ships away from rocky outcroppings... no, banning dogs based on size or "possible" danger is foolish... by that respect, we should ban pencils, pens, and heavy books in schools because kids COULD use them to injure one another.

11. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

This Thread should be closed. Every argument pro & con has been presented more than once.

Furthermore, Pit bull is not a clearly defined breed.

In addition to the above: If you ban all breeds possibly considered to be Pit Bulls, The sadistic nuts who train dogs to fight would start training other breeds to be fighting dogs. There are few breeds, if any, which could not be trained to fight. It might be difficult to train Saint Bernards or some of the Setter-type dogs to fight, but I think it could be done.

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Imagine a trained fighting Great Dane or Newfoundland... oi vey, given their size and power that'd be terrifying... *shakes head*

13. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Kitamaru: Worse yet, consider a Bull Mastiff. I wouls rather take my chances with a Great Dane.

14. river

as it all ways comes down to

its the owner of the dog