Pit Bulls Should Be Banned

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by valich, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

You didn't answer my question. I know that any dogs can be dangerous in certain circumstances, but there are certain breeds that have been specifically bred to do harm to humans and other animals. Pit bulls have incredibly strong jaws, designed to lock on until their victims die, and, like Rottweilers, are built in such a way that if they jump up on you, they can very easily knock you to the floor. My next door neighbour has a Rottweiler puppy who is not yet fully grown. Nevertheless, when I was out walking in the park, it jumped up in a friendly manner to greet me and ended up giving me a black eye.
    I'm not saying it's the dog's fault, on the contrary, it is entirely down to us humans. However, we need to solve the problem we have created by prohibiting breeding of these animals.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Story:

"I was attacked by a pit bull and doberman pinscher while mowing a lawn one day. They had been ***** all over it, so I guess they figured it was theirs. Fortunately I had recently seen a documentary about dogs; a pack will always have one member distract from the front, while another one hamstrings the prey from behind. Since there were only two of them, it was easy to turn that against them.

When the front one rushed, I would step forward to make him feint back as the rear one rushed. Then I'd turn and kick the rear one in the face. This went on for several minutes before the owner blew a whistle and they ran off. The doberman only got kicked once before he learned to lag back on his hamstring.

The pit bull never learned; I must have kicked him in the face 15 times with my steel toe boot; I was just about exhausted from it. A little girl came running down the street to see if I was OK, and she confessed she had accidentally left the gate open. Looking at the trail of blood in the street I told her she'd better look to the pitbull, as I thought his face was broken."

The lesson of this story is that the pitt bull almost never learnt (unlike the other dog) and let his face to be messed up really bad before finally stopping the attack, due to the owner's calling, not because of the pain.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

SAN ANTONIO -- A 65-year-old man was attacked by two dogs Thursday evening on the city's west side.

Jacob Zaragosa said that he was walking to a neighbor's house around sunset when he was chased down by two dogs that escaped from a partially-opened driveway gate.

"His paws were on my chest. They were getting ready to get serious with me," said Zaragosa, whose torn T-shirt sleeve revealed bites and bruising on his right shoulder.

Zaragosa said that the pair of pit bulls or pit bull mixes knocked him to the pavement.

"Right there, it came at me," he said. "I fell and that's when he came to help me out."

A passing motorist came to a screeching halt and sounded his horn. He then jumped out of his vehicle and waved a shovel at the dogs, scaring them off.

"They've done it before, but this is the first time they bit me," Zaragosa said. Other neighbors later approached him and told similar stories of the dogs barking and chasing anyone going by the house.

"It's bad enough me, but what if they do that to a little kid?" said Zaragosa, who was treated at the scene for the bite to his shoulder and his hand. He also complained that his hip had been hurt in the fall.

When police and emergency medical services arrived, the two dogs had retreated to the porch and driveway of the house, where there was one other dog and two pups.

The dogs' owner, Juan Alva, arrived after his brother called him and told him what had happened.

"Well, I'm sorry. What can I say?" Alva said. "The dog just got out. I can't be responsible for whatever happened to him."

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

My son was mauled by a dog when he was 2. His face was horribly damaged, requiring his eye to be put back in its socket.
    It was a Dalmatian. His story made the news but not because of the mauling. Perhaps if it had been a pit bull it might have.

8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

At least here the moron owner died of the attack:

http://loudountimes.com/news/2009/aug/10/man-found-dead-leesburg-home/

Source: Loudoun Times-Mirror
    MONDAY, AUGUST 10 2009
    UPDATED THURSDAY, AUGUST 13 2009

Preliminary autopsy results indicate that a 20-year-old Leesburg man died from being attacked by two pit bulls at his home Aug. 10.

"According to Loudoun County Animal Control Officer Adrienne Lawson, there is no history of the pit bulls showing aggressive behavior prior to this incident.

9. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

Pit Bulls should only be owned by a licensed professional who specializes in some sort of formal training. I know to many people who buy them just to fight them, or to sick them on someone they don't like. They kill to many people. They should be banned.

10. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that. Must have been a terrible ordeal for your son to go through. I hope the owner paid some sort of price for his negligence.

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

long story short, it was one of the best days of my life. I have no idea what became of the dog, nor did I care. I'm just saying not all maulings are done by pit bulls. I bet their are other dogs that bite more often, but are not as deadly as a pit bull attack. Isn't there a media saying "if it bleeds it leads"

12. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

When I googlesearch "Rottweiler attack" I get 355,000 returns.
    But googlesearch "Puppy attack" and you get 4,160,000 returns.

it's those sweet looking little puppies you need to watch.

13. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

The astute observation of the week. Nobody stated otherwise...

14. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Jeez! Can he see out of that eye now?

15. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Can someone explain why the mauling of her son was one of the best days of her life?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

Maybe because despite the accident she found out that her son was going to be ok?
    Duh.

17. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

Wow, teach me your scientific ways.

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Oh, Oh! When you learn 'the way of the search', google chicken attacks. I bet they can be vicious with their peckers.

19. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Relief sex...

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

LOL, no
    He'd been missing for months, and I finally had him back. If not for the mauling and him being ID'd at the hospital, I might still be looking for him

Relief sex? What is that??

21. davesalasa Registered Member

Like any animal who gets unnecessarily pointed out and focused upon, there are bound to be problems. I think that if we looked at Pit Bulls like any other dog, we would be more apt to have a much better relationship with them. Want to know why there are more Pit Bull attacks than regular dog attacks? Because when you say Pit Bull, people are IMMEDIATELY afraid and on alert. This can really damage a dogs psyche. Imagine if you were the Pit Bull, that golden retriever over there gets all the love and nice attention, and you get looked at like a killer. The Pit Bull will be happier and more genetically pleased, but the golden retriever will get to live another day. Someone always gets spooked by Pit Bulls and sets off and instinct driven chain reaction in the Pit Bulls brain. If you were a carnivorous animal like a Pit Bull, your gut instinct would be to KILL the instinctual violation. In these cases, human fear. Dogs smell fear, they are drawn to it like a moth to a flame. Pit Bulls have locking jaws, so what!? All extremely large dogs will have longer teeth, and that means they could puncture a vital organ in mere moment. So if people own Pit Bulls, they should say it's not a Pit Bull. Fool people into thinking the dog is another breed, and I GUARANTEE the attacks will stop or at least become much less frequent. Bad breeding, dogs bred for aggression, well that's a ballgame that is a vulnerability in any species of dog. Pit Bulls are no different from any species, there are good and bad apples in rottweilers and poodles as well. But nobody cares if poodles are bred for aggression, they can't do as much damage. Or so people think, it only takes a few bites to sever a vein or two no matter if the dog is pint size or not. After that it's all over.

Sam

22. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

1. Unnecessarily??????????

2. Pit bulls are NOT like any other dogs.

There goes your argument....

23. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Still awaiting the data which proves that Pit Bulls are more aggressive towards humans than any other breed (and not some shite from the editor of "Animal's Agenda"). And please spare the anecdotal FOX news bullshit--I kinda thought that this was supposed to be a science forum?

Precisely.