Piss(ed) Christ(ians)

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by chimpkin, Apr 21, 2011.

1. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

(Subtitle) Or...are Christians really so much better than Muslims after all?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/201...no-piss-christ-destroyed-christian-protesters

So, while this was merely a mob act of vandalism, this reminds me (and my wife) about those cartoons...you know, those cartoons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyllands-Posten_Muhammad_cartoons_controversy

What interested me though was this comment by the publishing newspaper's culture editor:
    Who does that remind me of...

http://www.yuricareport.com/Dominionism/ChristiansSueForRightToHate.html
    And I just love the irony here...

Aw, makes my heart just go out to those poor Christians:bawl:.

But what about the religious rights of others?
    http://onfaith.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/eboo_patel/2010/02/religious_rights_for_christian.html

So...while I'd agree Western society where the Christians are is more tolerant...but the fundamentalists aren't the majority.

Do you think they'd leave the rest of us be if they were?

I find it really annoying that they claim superiority , yet behave in similar types of badness, varying only in degree... in many cases...in which case where's the superiority?

It really, really strikes me as an incredible case of cultural chauvinism.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. phlogistician Banned Banned

So much for turning the other cheek. But then being a Christian and a hypocrite are synonymous.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

I couldn't agree with that.

.I've met people who really seem like Christlike Christians...they were usually trying to help the sick, feed the hungry, and defend the downtrodden.

Not trying to stop other people from living their lives. Go figure.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mind Over Matter Registered Senior Member

You should read about Mother Teresa of Calcutta.

8. phlogistician Banned Banned

The one furthering the spread of AIDS by preaching that condoms are against God's will? How is encouraging people to get sick and die in any way Christ like?

9. phlogistician Banned Banned

Were they? Did they really 'sell all their possessions, and give the money to the poor'?

See, this is a direct instruction from Jesus, yet Christians own houses and cars. That is hypocrisy.

10. birch Valued Senior Member

from what i know of christians, they tend to be die-hard capitalists which is quite opposite of christ. i also see much of their charity to be an apologetic system for another system they support. it's kind of like someone taking most from you directly or indirectly and giving you some of it back.

11. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

I see your point Chimp.

I have thought about this lately. I don't think this primitive hate and bigotry has to do with Christianity or any other religion. I think it has to do with low IQ and the more primitive sides of human (animal) behavior. Homophobia is just that, fear. Fear of the unfamiliar. It's basically this same fear that also feeds racism and all other sorts of irrational hatred towards other people. The more primitive brains are more susceptible to basic instincts like this.

This is why not all Christians are out there in the streets protesting against homosexuality. There are a lot of highly intelligent christians. It's just that primitive people are attracted to religion because religion makes life easier to understand. These primitives tend to be louder and more visible. That doesn't just go for christians either. It's usually like that. Not all tea partiers are christians for instance.

The thing religion does is, it offers an excuse for hating on gays if you interpret it in the wrong way. A religion that was supposed to be about forgiveness and love for your fellow man can easily be turned into a tool for herding fellow simpletons into hating on the gay people.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  12. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

Don't be ridiculous. You're making completely unreasonable demands. You can be a good person without giving everything you own away and become poor yourself. You're making the same mistake that the some of Christians are when interpreting their holy book.

13. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

Generalising and untrue.

14. Yazata Valued Senior Member

The controversy about the 'piss-christ' artwork has generally concerned whether or not tax-funded museums should mount art exhibitions that appear designed to outrage those very same tax-payers. There haven't been the same kind of objections to showing the work in private galleries. I don't believe that the artist has received international death-threats or anything like that.

Breaking the art-work was an escalation, but kind of a minor one in an instance like this when nothing of real value has been lost. This piece of art is almost entirely conceptual, just a crucifix in a bottle of urine. So get another crucifix and drop it in another bottle of urine. Artwork restored.

Since this thing is conceptual art, the real interest lies in the ideas swirling around it.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I find that I kind of like the piss-christ sculpture or installation or whatever it is. It really does raise a valid theological question about whether God was tainted by his plunge into the world of humanity and sin. The crucifix in urine seems to symbolize that. If God's incarnation in Jesus wasn't tainted, then why all the revulsion about dropping a crucifix in urine?

But whatever theological symbolism was intended, this thing also comes across as an act of provocation. It fits very well into a whole class of "transgressive" artworks, artworks that are designed to cross boundaries and to gore sacred cows.

The thing is, if an artwork was intended from its inception to be "outrageous", then the artist and his/her supporters shouldn't feign shock (and inevitably superiority) when the viewing public is (predictably) outraged. The public's reaction is an integral part of the art concept, a necessary part.

So I don't really have anything against a crowd destroying the piss-christ incarnation. It was written into the script and quite possibly the response that the artist originally intended.

Nobody was hurt. Nothing valuable was lost. It was all just part of the play, the artistic analogue of the crucifixion. (The timing of these events so close to Easter is fitting and fortuitious.)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  15. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Which suggests that for all practical intents and purposes, religiousness is a matter of politics.

Controversies around the application of the First Amendment abound:

16. John99 Banned Banned

Well it is true that high risk sex is high risk sex and that usually dont include condoms...keywords "risk" and "high".

17. Kennyc Registered Senior Member

Amazing the power of art, isn't it!

18. John99 Banned Banned

power?

19. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

It made an angry mob run wild right?

20. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Art is powerful. It stirs emotion . I like Piss Christ. I think I understand it too. My interpretation is how it makes a mockery out of people that worship Jesus like you would an Idol. Instead of worshiping charitable attributes by picking up the cross and following you bow down to an image of a man that lived a charitable type life . Living vicariously by Christ instead of picking up a cross and carrying it your self . For example . The carpet layer knows how to get on his knees . He actually does something when he is forced to his knees by the will of creation . Pretty much mandatory type action for a carpet layer. Jesus Idol Worshipers get on there knees and say some words usually so other pompous people can here them . That is it. Now every one feels good and we can go back to honking at people in traffic , cutting em off , or taking there parking space. Raping there daughters and sons . Enslaving the women and telling Poor Man he is dirt. Ya glad my church is the mountains , cause I can do all that stuff every day even on Saturday and Sunday

21. John99 Banned Banned

which doesnt usually take much.

22. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

haha brilliant

23. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

no a piss cup and a piece of wood is apparently enough... :shrug: