Pinhole glasses

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by SoLiDUS, Jan 4, 2003.

1. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

I have been reading up on pinhole glasses lately and it seems to
    me that the eye industry has quite a bit of explaining to do: such
    an invention cannot stay silenced any longer. I've tried them out
    and can personally guarantee their effectiveness. If you wish to
    learn more about them, go to http://www.myopia.org/pinholes.htm

I am very much interested in seeing what others have to say
    about this. Please disregard the "conspiracy" aspect of the site
    and focus (hehe...) on the pinhole glasses and information.
    Thank you for your consideration...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Wow that really looks like a good idea! But I went for an appointment today to get contact lenses! Too little to late for me!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

no longer have a reason, I can get normal, cheaper, shades now, and just wear my contacts underneath.

On a more self-absorbed note, my contacts are gray! Gunna look so cool when I get em!

8. chroot Crackpot killer Registered Senior Member

This idea is nothing special, nor anything that needs to be "silenced" by the optical industry. The method of reducing the aperture of an optical system is called "stopping down" by photographers, and "masking" by astronomers. By closing an iris around the outside of a lens, the most divergent rays are eliminated -- this leads to a larger depth of field (a larger range of distances that appears in focus), and generally better image quality due to the fact that the error of a lens or mirror is smaller at its center.

In the limit as the size of the aperture goes to zero, there are no divergent rays. The only rays that make it through the aperture have an angle of zero wrt the normal of the aperture. There are no refractive errors, and everything from zero to infinite distance is simultaneously in focus. In the limit of zero aperture, the lens or mirror is effectively non-existent.

This is the principle behind the camera obscura, which you can read about in many places on the internet, including this site (the first I found by typing 'camera obscura' into google): http://brightbytes.com/cosite/what.html

So the idea behind pinhole glasses is not new, and the physics behind it is sound. The problem, of course, is that of light intensity! There's almost no way at all a person can read a book through a pinhole unless the book is BRIGHTLY illuminated. The problem with low intensity reading is that the constrast detection system in the retina is subjected to a scene with low contrast. The low contrast will make the eye have trouble achieving and keeping a critical focus. This will strain the eye muscles and lead to fatigue.

The reason that pinhole glasses are not common is not because they are new, or have been kept secret; the answer is that they are not very useful.

- Warren

9. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

Please explain why they reverse Myopia in people using them ?
    Also, please explain why regular prescription glasses make it
    worse for them over time instead of keeping things as they are?
    Thank you.

10. chroot Crackpot killer Registered Senior Member

I thought I explained this fairly well. Myopia is a result of the lens of the eye having an incorrect curve. When you stop the aperture of that lens down, you reduce the amount of that poor curve you're using. Right in the dead center of the lens, the curve is totally unimportant, since rays go right through the center of the lens unrefracted.
    To my knowledge, there have been no scientific studies of the physiological effects of pinhole glasses versus normal glasses, and it is incorrect to assert they will provide a definite physiological benefit. I don't believe that using pinhole glasses will result in your eye not becoming worse with age -- I believe it will just result in large amounts of eye strain and eye muscle fatigue.

- Warren

11. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

Thank you for your insight

PS. When I said "reverse", I meant it: people actually got their
    prescriptions lowered because their eyes got better! The effect
    wasn't just limited to the time when they wore the pinhole
    glasses. Just thought I'd clear it up: obviously, wearing them
    will help...

12. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

did you know that you can actually strengthen weak eye muscles by NOT wearing glasses. 'tis true

13. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

How bout contacts? Does it make a difference wether you wear contacts or nothing?

14. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

believe it or not...contacts aren't really very good for your eyes.

15. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Why not?

16. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

because, even though they say the lenses are "permeable" ...they're not totally ...they will suffocate your eyeballs.

:bugeye:

17. postoak Registered Senior Member

I think this site may well be right; the outbreak of nearsightedness in industrialized countries is due to all the reading that is required of students.

Just to expand on what chroot said, in the case of myopia (nearsightedness), each point of an object becomes a circle on the retina. The rays of light that become the outer part of this circle are those that passed through the outer part of the lens of your eye. When you place a restriction such as a pinhole in front of your eye, you prevent the light going through the outer part of the lens from reaching the retina, so a point on an object is once again represented as a point on the retina and you see clearly (more or less).

18. anjana agrawal Registered Member

Hi all,

It looks very hard to work on computer for a long time. There is a solution for your eyes. You can use pinhole glasses when you read a book or do any work on computer. You can do exercise of your eye muscles with these glasses.

19. Cifo Day destroys the night, Registered Senior Member

When the muscles that flex the lens are fully relaxed, a person should, theoretically, focus at infinity. When reading and doing close work, these muscles must flex the lens to allow the eye to focus on the close objects.

The reason regular glasses keep the eye in a state of dysfunction is that, with nearsightedness, glasses correct for the eye's inability to focus at infinity, and so, the eye never has the opportunity to "relax" and to try to focus at infinity.

Myopic people will notice that they can see more clearly at a distance (typically, to see out their windows) upon rising in the morning because their lens have had hours to relax while sleep. On the other hand, submariners suffer a higher rate of myopia because they cannot focus farther than 20 or 30 feet for weeks or months at a time, year after year.

Because the pinhole effectively does the focusing for the eye, the lens doesn't need to refocus for any focal distance because the pinhole effectively focuses at all distances, and so, the lens relaxes (ie, spends more time "unfocused" at infinity). This can help to "undo" some of the myopia.

20. phlogistician Banned Banned

They block a lot of light out though. So fine if you want to wear a pair of shades, but not much use for anything else. Certainly no good for astigmatism.

21. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

I've used pinhole cameras before.

Here is the problem.

1. They only work at certain distances. For example, my camera was accurate to about 200 meters, anything further was either too blurry or too underexposed. Their range is decided by the size of the hole and by the distance to the media, such as the back of the eye. So you would need a pair of pinhole glasses for every distance.

2. They tend to reverse the image requiring you to go into Photoshop (for a pinhole camera) and invert it.

3. In order to obtain sharper quality you need to make the hole as small as possible. But to keep the image as well lit as possible you need to make the hole as big as possible. Its a fine balance which again relies on just how far away the image your looking at is.

Also, the way the guy explained it at the beginning is that his goal is to focus all of the image on the center most portion of the eye. This makes up about 2-5 degrees of your field of view and contains the highest concentration of light detecting cells. It is the center of your field of vision. The thing is that every time an unusually bright light hits the pinhole lens all of it will be focused on the single most important part of the eye. Normally that amount of light is okay for your eyes since its spread out over a wider area, but now its all focused not only on a small point, but the most sensitive point there is in the eye.

22. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

8 year old zombie thread wants BRAINS!!!

23. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

jesus christ your right, i didnt even notice that.