Piercings....why?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by lucifers angel, Feb 11, 2008.

1. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I don't know what a Monroe piercing is..

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DanceAndExplode Fear me, for I am Death. Registered Senior Member

its named after marilyn monroe, its a stud above your top lip on the side, looks kinda like a beauty spot. that’s why its called a monroe.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Well that's the right reason to do it. Everybody likes different things anyway so it's senseless to do something just to be sexy.
    But there's no denying a great number of people do it for the reasons of fashion and sexiness.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I think its self mutilation, just like being a cutter.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

For some people it is, they get tattoos and piercings because it causes them pain which they get off on. Like I said, everybody is different.

9. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

That's an interesting reason. Frankly, I have not observed piercings to be aesthetically pleasing, quite the opposite, in fact. I'd like to know how you define that so I can understand what you find aesthetic about it?

10. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Why is people ALWAYS post extreme pictures as proof that it's "mutilation"?

Even if we accept for argument's sake that such numbers of piercings are mutilation, most people with piercings don't have anywhere near that much metal in them. I have a nose ring and a lip stud. Why do you feel the need to label this as mutilation? It's hypocritical. Ear studs on women are common, but no one calls that mutilation.

So your aesthetic preferences are normal, and mine are abnormal, so I have to justify myself to you?

Wrong. We are different people with different tastes. Not "normal" and "abnormal". I don't owe you an explanation.

11. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

12. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Sheesh! Just wanted to know your reasoning. :bugeye:

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its a matter of being used to it [or keeping an open mind]. What is your opinion on earrings?

14. deicider got omnicidead Registered Senior Member

there was man thinking "how the fuck can i fuck up myself so i'll look nasty and not get bullied?"
    And unfortunately he got what he deserved.
    Piercings is the way of heathensss,listen to buddah ,he paid for ur sins,and now it payback time biatch!

15. Carcano Valued Senior Member

I do...:wave:

16. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Why do I have to provide reasoning? I don't have any. I just like different things to you. Same reason I think wolverines are pretty when most people just think of them as "oh yeah, those wild ottery things you get in cold countries". Same reason some people like black and others think of it as a morbid colour. Why do I have to have a special "reasoning" for liking piercings?

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

and that's just it VI. You see this as extreme, while some wouldn't. I could see a person with 6 facial piercings and think its extreme, while you may not.
    How many piercings is extreme to you? I bet it will always be more than you have.

18. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I have a pretty high threshold. More than 7 in your lip starts to look sickly and overdone. More than 3 in your eyebrows, ditto.

But whether people THINK it's extreme is beside the point. If you are mentally sound (as in not schizophrenic or other serious disorder) and of age to get one, how many facial piercings you have is no one's business but your own.

Sure, that person could be doing it to get attention.

Or they could be doing it because once they saw a picture of a tribesperson with 20 facial piercings and thought 'Wow, that's so beautiful! I would like to do that too!'

Or they could just have a very unusual taste in aesthetics. Outside the norm is not the same thing as wrong or sick, which you seemed to be implying by calling it mutilation. I think that picture is ugly too, to be honest. But that's only my perspective. I don't have the right to force that on anyone else.

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

and stating what my perspective is isn't forcing anything on anyone. If I walked by this person and did a double take, is that forcing would I be forcing anything on them?

20. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Doing a double take, fair enough. We all have that reaction to something that doesn't fit with our worldview.

Labelling them as a self harmer is, in a weak way, in my opinion anyway, forcing your own views on them, in that it's invalidating their right to express themselves how they want.

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so cutters and anorexics just have a different form of self expression than I do? :shrug: I'm not seeing the beauty in their body?

22. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

23. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Cutting and piercings are not done for the same reason.

People don't cut themselves because it looks pretty. Anorexics usually do it either due to emotional issues to do with control and power (they are desperate to feel that they have self determination, so they fast because they can) or they have some sort of sensory processing distortion, and genuinely see their hyper-thin body as fat.

So what exactly is your stance on piercings? Do you think that any number is mutilation, since extreme is a relative thing? Do you think of earlobe studs as mutilation?