"Pickens Plan"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by superstring01, Sep 3, 2008.

1. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

No biological molecule can survive in the mantle. It's obvious who's right.

"The suggestion that petroleum might have arisen from some transformation of squashed fish or biological detritus is surely the silliest notion to have been entertained by substantial numbers of persons over an extended period of time." -- Fred Hoyle, 1982

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. superstring01 Moderator

Duh. Nobody said they lived there. They piled up in swamps and oceanic trenches where they were buried-over with increasingly large amounts of sediment. Over time they were compressed under the weight of the earth and heated from within causing the structural changes that converted the swamps into coal and oceanic plankton and diatoms into petrol.

This is why, directly above and below these deposits, numerous fossils can be found along the strata. While I know that this fact is conveniently disregarded, it's a telling sign.

Wow, Oil, you quoted a person who's ideas on the static state of the universe have widely been debunked by the advent of technology that wasn't available at the time. And while it's not a problem to have one's theories debunked, it is when you insult those who disagree with you, as Fred Hoyle did. [See: Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe that, after launch, seriously debunked his theory on the formation of galaxies by showing an uneven distribution of microwaves and young galaxies, a reality that can not be if his theory were true] I also find it curious that you quote a guy who's biggest reason for opposing the "Big Bang Theory" (a term he coined) was because it might lead some people to believe in a grand creator: something he found appalling (and which you believe in).

At any rate, I don't give a rat's ass where it came from. I care about the fact that it may be doing harm to the planet -- the only planet -- that I have to live on. While I am aware that there isn't absolute evidence that this warming trend is not the cause of larger factors, it does seem a bit foolish to be fucking around with the environment when it's the only one we've got. Sort of like, jumping around on a trampoline over a hundred foot ravine without full knowledge of just how structurally sound the trampoline is. My point: It's not worth the risk to our very existence. After we've colonized the solar system, then -- shit! -- dump all the pollution you want. Until then, I think it a wise course of action to: (a) ween ourselves off of our current state of slavery to the Mideast and (b) make sure we're good stewards of the house until we have a new one (or two, or twelve, or fifty).

~String

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

While we are discussing about Pickens and the wind energy...a British friend of mine pointed out that inspite of MIT, CalTech with the braintrust and Department of Energy spending Billions, it was a British company that came up with residential wind power gizmo.

...hmmm...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Echo3Romeo One man wolfpack Registered Senior Member

http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/NP-Stop_talking_start_building-0409087.html

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Diablo Canyon. I'd hit it with a thermal neutron.