Pi

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Pi-Sudoku, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Aer Registered Senior Member

OK - so spacetime is a 3D sphere. Suppose even if this is the case, what causes me to choose a 2D slice of spacetime that goes through the center of the sphere?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

can't go through the center only towards the center.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Aer Registered Senior Member

OK - what prevents me from choosing a 2D slice of spacetime that goes through the center of the sphere?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

sorry I have nothing more to add....all I am doing is adding to the confusion.....so I'll do some sorting out and get back

8. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Do you have any idea how you can go through the center of space time when getting there is an infinite propostion....think of falling into a black hole as an analogy......any way I'm out of here

9. Aer Registered Senior Member

Perhaps the answers to all your questions exist in this black hole.

Nice talking to you.

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Ok, Aer.

Then could you please answer my questions about the value of N/x, assuming that negative "approximations" aren't allowed?

For example, if N can range from 19.9999 to 20.0001, and x can range from 0 to 0.0001, then what are the possible values of N/x?

Is it therefore true to say that N/0 is infinite, using your argument that the N and the zero are approximations?

11. Aer Registered Senior Member

Well congratulations, you finally got around to asking a well-posed question.

Just as you might have imagined, since the values of N and x can range, the solution to N/x is going to be a range.

This range is found by calculating:
    19.9999/.0001 = 199999 for the lower bound
    20.0001/0 = ∞ for the upper bound

Notice how N/0 must be defined as infinity? Neat how that works isn't it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

If 1/2 = 0.5 then 0.5 * 2 = 1

If 37.2/4.8 = 7.75 then 7.75 * 4.8 = 37.2

If 1/0 = ∞ then ∞ * 0 = 1 ???

or,

If 45.678/0 = ∞ then ∞ * 0 = 45.678 ???

How's that?

13. Aer Registered Senior Member

It is for this reason that ∞ is not defined as a real number.
    ∞ * 0 = 1 is incorrect.
    ∞ * 0 = undefined is correct.

Remember, that ∞ is 1/0, so,
    ∞ * 0 = 1/0 * 0 = 0/0 = undefined.

The reason ∞ * 0 is undefined is because the solution can be any range of numbers from 0 to ∞ depending on the order of magniutde of the accuracy of your numbers.

14. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

I've been reading a bunch of math sites, and they think you are wrong. I will go eat them with my new avatar for you. Grrrr

15. Aer Registered Senior Member

What math sites are you referring to? I'd really like to visit these math sites that think.

Anyway, I am sure I will agree with anything they say if they are a legitimate math site because I already have an idea of what they are going to refer to when saying that dividing by 0 is undefined. That is, when refering to 0 as an integer value, not an approximation, then division by 0 is undefined. I mentioned this about 5 pages back

16. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

I know. Whatever. If your zero is an approximate zero (which isn't zero) then 1/~0 has a finite value and is not infinity. You are wrong no matter how you look at it. Zero is 0. It's not an approximate concept.

I know, you've been over this...bla...bla...bla. There's no other definition of zero. Unless it's spelled AER.

17. Aer Registered Senior Member

<center>SILENCE.</center>

I never said that it was anything other than a limit. The limit goes to infinity, yes?

Zero is only 0 when you are talking about integers. The only way you know something is exactly zero is when you are dealing with "counting" numbers or you are talking about theory in which something is "defined" as exactly zero - again, this would be a case of an integer. If you measure any quantity as zero, it is an approximation no matter how you look at it (again, excluding counts, which we know to be integers - and the case when we are talking about integers, N/0 is undefined as we all agree).

I realize the argument I am making is redundant as I've said it over and over again:

But you still don't understand, so I feel compelled to explain again and again and ...

I resent you calling me zero. However, your "definition" is not true. If something is approximately zero, that is not a definition of being zero. However, the case of dealing with approximations near zero is a very special case since any answer to N/x when x is approximately zero is going to have an infinite number of possible solutions. That is why N/0 is defined as infintiy for this case - it is a definition from the limit and does not apply to integers which are exactly ...-1 0 1...

I doubt any of this has penetrated your overly dense outter skull, but one day, some day - I know I shall exceed (oops! I meant succeed - HA! long day..).

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  18. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

this may sound silly but,
    In my garage I haven't got a mercedes benze [zero benze[ and that benze that I haven't got weighs exactly how much?

19. Aer Registered Senior Member

Well I suppose it is just an idea in your head then, correct? And given your brain size... ahh nevermind.

20. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

The weight of all benzs in your garage is zero... The weight of the benz you don't have is ill-defined... what exactly is "that benz that I haven't got"? The grammar implies one specific vehicle, but no such vehicle can be identified!

21. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Aer,

Now that I've picked myself off the floor after laughing so hard at your post that began:

SILENCE.

was that as in "SILENCE you Infidel!" ?

I am truly befuddled in my denseness by this whole zero thingy.

22. Aer Registered Senior Member

What zero thingy? What are we talking about? *forgot* ... have you ever forgot?

23. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Aer... AER! Wake up! It's time to go to school. You were mumbling something about Cheerio or Stereo or zippo or something in your sleep.