Pi

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Stryder, Sep 14, 2001.

1. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I found one particular film good although it was in black and white, but that just added to it's atmosphere.

Pi isn't a quick witted comedy or a light hearted story, it is indepth and will possible make you think. Of course if your not very good at mathematics you might be shuddering at what the "hero" contemplates, and understand that the film consists of the hero's narative as he works his way through his conundrum.

Some people might want to walk out through the film, or think they would have spent better time watching some film with explosions in, but this film is meant for people who think rather than just something that can act as background noise.

word of warning when you do reach the end of the film, you might not want to follow the hero's footsteps...

You might notice, That nothing that I have mentioned to you will in the slightest give the plot away.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

'Pi' was advertised in Dublin as a scientific thriller, so I was looking forward to it. When I saw that it was shot in grainy b&w, I thought to myself 'Hope it isn't a wanky student film'. boy, as I disappointed.

It'll make you think "wish I watched a different movie"
    No it's not. It's for people who like a thin veneer of thought, and who don't want to have to do anything that requires anything but the most superficial of contemplation. It's for people who think that mathematics is boring, and can only be made interesting by the insertion of qabalastic, superfical crap.

It is, in essence, a wanky student flim.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I have to admit I found both responses amusing.

One that didn't want to give away the plot, and the other explaining about it being a student film.
    (Of course you should question do you mean student made, or only students watch it.)

I still say the film was enjoyable even though it's budget for the whole film was probably less than a days wage for the star of some main holiwood attraction.

Bewarned Rde, those students will rise up and come back to haunt you.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Perhaps they might force you to the Can film festival.

Although you haveto admit it still kicked ASCII in comparison to the Blair Witch project, which was a Wanky student film like you put.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

A tight budget is no excuse. El Mariachi was made on a tight budget. My objections to the film lie in its nonsensical 'plot', the fact that it was marketed as a scientific film when it was nothing of the sort and the fact that - if I may quote myself - it was a wanky student film.

The 'wanky student film' is a genre unto itself; it doesn't necessarily involve students, but is designed to appeal to the pretentious assholes that populate the philosophical societies of any university. Generally black and white and generally grainy, these filmes are shot thusly not because of budgetary constraints, but because the filmmakers are under the mistaken impression that it lends gravitas to their feeble works.
    They'll occasionally have some semblance of a plot, but their total lack of imagination means that they'll generally opt for what they laughingly refer to as 'avant garde'. Of course, they're making the same film student wankers have made since the days of the Daguerrotype; they lack originality, wit, verve and even the slightest semblance of charm.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I realise that Pi is the archetype for wanky student films.

And I may want to stick forks in my eyes.

8. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

Snigger.

As it happens, I'm not that supercilious about blockbusters; I tend to judge a film on its merits, not on who stars in it. If it's got a good plot, I don't care who acts in it. I really enjoyed 'The Rock', for example. Because it starred Nicholas Cage? No. Because it was directed by MIchael Bay? No. Because it was a well-written, well made film. Doesn't matter that Jerry Bruckheimer produced. Doesn't matter who starred in it. It was a good movie.

Your comment is typical of what I was talking about earlier. If it's an independent film, it must be good, however hackneyed the style or inane the plot. If money was spent on it, it must be bad. I'll cheerfully concede that this is for the most part true, but it can't be assumed for *any* individual film. Ther are a lot of shit independent movies, and a lot of good hollywood movies.

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

If any of you guys want to see a real "Wanky student Film", then you would have to look out for "WormCast", of course you won't find it in a video shop, or on DVD, maybe if your at a film festival and the guy that filmed it is there, then you might get a chance to see it.

I'm going to spoil it's plot though, it explains how one town on the most Eastern Point of England, suffers from pockets of Time.
    Where you can be walking down a backstreet and find yourself in the past.

One Hollywood film that was supposedly a flop when it was released in the Cinema that I found amusing (and still do) was "Hudson Hawk". Of course don't count that towards my taste

One film I actually had to purchase was "Wargames" from 1983, Although I haven't been able to find anywhere selling "Tron" (Which I'm on the look out for)
    Classic films of a particular genre, Perhaps even "1984" the film (just because it's easier than reading

)

Of course this has stepped away from PI, but it's no worry.
    Bobby Lee, Where did you find a script of PI?

10. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I really enjoyed Pi--a cult film if ever there was one! Twelve Monkeys was stonkingly good too--probably my favourite movie of the past 5 years.