Pi

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by theoneiuse, Mar 8, 2010.

1. theoneiuse Theoneiuse Registered Senior Member

X *r *pi = 360 degrees
    now play with this formula
    who out of you can can find
    the rational fraction of pi

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CheskiChips Banned Banned

You make this thread over and over - you think we're all too stupid to understand your point?

We get it, if something actually moves in a trajectory around something then Pi must have a final rational value. What you don't get it is the fidelity for calculating that orbit can increase infinitely...this is why Pi is irational and the radius is not.

By the way I think there's an easy mathematical way to show this...

\(\pi = lim_{n\to \infty} n (sin^{-1}(\frac{360}{2n}))\)

Where n is the theoretical number of sides.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

That Wikipedia article needs to be improved. Why don't you tackle that? I had been under the impression that the irrationality of Pi had been known to the ancient Greeks. The article asserts the first proof wasn't known until more modern times.

8. CptBork Valued Senior Member

No, the Greeks did not know it was irrational, they certainly wouldn't have been able to prove it even if they had. Typically the proof is covered in a university undergrad course in Analysis. The best the Greeks could do is come up with recursive formulas to bound pi between two values and to make these bounds as tight as desired.

9. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

Mmmmm.... delicious irony. You complaining the Wiki page is poor and then demonstrating your own knowledge is poor.

The irrationality of \(\sqrt{2}\) was known to the Pythagoreans and it was a major issue to them since it violated their notion that all umbers can be written as a quotient of integers. Their proof can be applied to all \(\sqrt{n}\) where integer n is not a perfect square but it doesn't apply to pi. The irrationality of pi is less trivial and hence resisted a proof for a long time.

As for me 'tackling that' I generally find that when it comes to mathematics pages its not worth editing unless you have a very very clear and precise plan of what you're going to say. Generally there are people who have much more details knowledge of any given area of mathematics than myself on Wikipedia and hence why so much detail is found in mathematical pages. Hell, even my quite niche area of research is done in vastly greater detail than anything I'd write, someone already got there and they know their stuff. I prefer to correct wordy explanations and leave the lengthy algebra to those who want to do it.

But if you feel Wiki is a little light on the details and accuracy you could always try opening a book. They are the things found in libraries which contain sheets covered in text which forms coherent narratives and provide information. Sound familiar? Probably not....

10. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

I suppose I was extending the Greek knowledge of irrationals ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irrational_number ) to Pi as well, which they never attempted to express as a ratio. So they likely believed it was irrational, but did not come up with the proof other than that it was bounded between two values?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  11. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

No irony in that. Everyone knows Wiki is still short of perfect knowledge. I am too. Is that ironic?

12. CptBork Valued Senior Member

No, they liked to use 22/7 quite often as an approximation, so I don't see any evidence that anyone thought a fraction for pi didn't exist. All Archimedes did was to limit the value between upper and lower bounds. The Greeks' knowledge of irrationals was mostly limited to roots of prime numbers as far as I can tell.

Mind you, it's funny the Egyptians thought pi was precisely equal to 3, yet conspiracy theorists like to attribute wonderous technological feats to them.

13. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Thanks, Cpt.Bork. I'm not a strong ancient-Greek scholar, and in particular as to the maximum extent of their mathematical knowledge. Did they have more than one proof of the Pythagorean theorem, or did they just have the cumbersome one developed by Pythagoras? I suppose a good Wiki article on ancient-Greek mathematics would be welcome, and in particular how it compared to the knowledge of mathematics in other ancient civilizations would also be welcome.

14. CheskiChips Banned Banned

While we're just mentioning early pi's. Jews had 1/6th of the circumference as being equal to 111/106 which brings it to 3.141509 some time between 6th and 10th century BCE.

15. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Donde? Is that you?

What, all of them?

16. Jack_ Banned Banned

Pretty funny, since we live in an a posteriori universe, that is all anyone can do.

17. temur man of no words Registered Senior Member

What do you mean? Wasn't Euclid a Greek?

18. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I wonder though: which is the more irrational - pi or theoneiuse?

19. theoneiuse Theoneiuse Registered Senior Member

Listen, for you all are greater than you realise, Archimedes
    and others in your history have created foundational errors
    likened to prison bars that will inhibit the evolution of
    your existences. The reason why you will always get an
    irrational number for pi is because the method that is used
    the calculate it. That method spawned by your predeccesors
    is fatally flawed, for pi is not an approximation it is an exact
    ratio as long as long as the Tari continue with this illogical
    process the aproximate pi they will never realise what it
    is they are looking at. Pi is a contract of conscious minds
    "Objectivity" it is the true center of gravity in existence,
    it is the foundamental basis for objectivity, it is alot more
    than that but it is enough to isolate my point of view.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  20. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Well that answered my question.
    It's obviously theoneiuse that's the more irrational.
    Thanks for the prompt confirmation.

21. theoneiuse Theoneiuse Registered Senior Member

So when you have realized this ratio this will shift the center
    of gravity of your existences. Then finally a new
    point of view can emerge as the correct centerpiece to
    objectivity and at least if not accuracy in other things
    but the appreciation of it.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  22. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Yeah, he was. But I always thought that his proof contained in his Elements was Pythagoras' proof. Did Pythagoras have some other proof? As I mentioned, I'm not real strong on ancient Greek history. Even the ancient Egyptians knew of the 'Pythagorean triplets', though apparently without a proof and generic extension. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_theorem where the pythagorean theorem proof as presented by Euclid is given. As I mentioned, I always thought that that was the proof developed initially by Pythagoras; but perhaps not?

23. noodler Banned Banned

Aren't there as many ways to approximate Pi as there are to approximate e?
    I mean, duh, just count the neurons, you know?