Physics engine

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Borg255, Aug 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borg255 Registered Member

Hello, I need to know how to code a physics engine. I'm not exactly sure how, but thats what I intend to find out.

I know it is just mathmatic but I need to know the rules of physics in mathmatical form so I can put it into a VB6 program.
    Please reply if you can help.

P.S If someone allready knows how to do this could you please reply as well.

P.P.S If you don't know either of the above, then a brake down explanation of the basic laws of physics could help.

Thankyou all for reading.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Clarentavious Person Registered Senior Member

Visual Basic 6? A game engine? Hey, I may be moderator of this board, but that is out of my league (for the moment).

But I can tell you, zounds of people have disected the Quake 2/3, Unreal, and Half Life engines.

I think you can find older versions of World Craft for free (though that is basically for making maps, not exactly making a game engine)

Talk to some of the people who have made Half Life mods and what not. www.dayofdefeatmod.com

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Borg255 Registered Member

I will talk to them, thanks for the link.

But I would like to put the laws of physics into it so that people can then put in their own technology types. I do realise how complicated that would be, but think how interesting it would be!

By technology types I mean weapons, defence, propulsion, & power plants energy things.

It wouldn't affect the map because thats going to be fixed.. once its generated there are no changes except by the map editor. The map , currently, currently in 3 dimensions.. but I'm sort of planning to increase this to 5. Last night I managed to get my head around 4 dimensions (I think).. well if this is right:

Using just 1 move.

Dimensions | Possible Moves
    1 2
    2 9
    3 27
    4 71
    5 211

Thats what I came to when I was thinking about dimensions..

Well just looking into the possibility.. I would really like to incorporate a physics engine so that people could do this.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Redrover Registered Senior Member

Maybe I'm not understanding your little table there but if you had 2 dimensions, why would you be limited to 9 moves? The real world isn't a chessboard? Wouldn't the possible moves in 2 dimensions be infinite?

Second of all, a good start would be a physics engine that simulates an objects falling in one dimension.

Third of all, here's a bastardized version of a beginners physics class:

x = position on one axis (meters)
    xi = inicial position
    xf = final position
    t = time (seconds)
    ti = inicial time
    tf = final "
    s = speed (meters / second)
    si = inicial speed
    a = acceleration (meters / second^2)

All objects that accelerate follow this equation:

xf = xi + s * t + .5 * a * t^2

The acceleration that gravity imparts to objects on earth is independent of it's mass or size and falls with an acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2. It is affected by air friction (that's why a falling bowling ball accelerates faster than, say, a feather).

8. Borg255 Registered Member

hmm.. It would be limited to 9 moves because it technically is a chess board. (the map is a 3D map but the actual space the ship is in has no dimension.. its just there)

And that little equation you said completely blew me off. Maths is definatly NOT my strong point. I can't think with all those annoying x y Xi things.

9. Redrover Registered Senior Member

Oh, I fought you wanted a real physics engine. But if your peices are moving along a chess board, then how can they use more than 3 dimensions?

10. Borg255 Registered Member

Its not very easy to explain.. each level (as in coordinate going up) is a new 'board' the actual coordinates the ship moves into are dimensionless (as there are no graphics needed and its assumed all ships in the sector would be within visual range) umm.. is that clearer? I really don't know how else to explain. for the physics engine I ment something where people could put in their own theorise of propulsion and things.. but Ijust realised how much physics people would need to know for that.. so I think I'll just create my own laws of physics for my little world..heh unless, of course, you have any ideas?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.