Physich or Math?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by alnix, Jul 28, 2013.

1. alnix Registered Member

Hello. I'm a student intending to go to university.
    I like both math and physics.
    But I have to pick only one. Can you tell me which is more interesting between Engineering Math and Engineering Physic?
    Thanks.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fednis48 Registered Senior Member

I'm probably biased, but I vote physics. You'll learn all of the math with broad, practical applications (ie. calculus and linear algebra) either way. If you do a math major, you'll go on to learn higher math that's beautiful but only narrowly useful, and you'll basically be an expert in logic. If you do a physics major, you'll go on to learn about the laws that govern the real world, and you'll be an expert in how things work. For an engineer, the latter seems more helpful.

Side note: you could probably do either major without ever taking a statistics class, but take one anyway. I didn't, and that's my only real regret in terms of college curriculum choice.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Undefined Banned Banned

Hi alnix, Taking about 'statistics' (hi Fednis48, hope you are keeping well), it might be instructive, and provide fuller contextual reasons when considering pros and cons for either discipline/area of study/exploration, if you spend a little time to research a brief history of the most assiduous practitioners/professionals in either/both fields. Specifically take note of what it says about the statistical probability for going insane as a consequence of your chosen career path in either/both. Have regard to the statistics of how many practitioners/professionals have gone because of the kind of mental activity, frustrations and possible cognitive dissonance which each of the two careers may entail. If I remember correctly, history says shows that it is more probable that 'pure mathematicians' will go insane compared to physicist mathematicians whose intellectual center is more grounded to reality than abstraction (which is more likely to end up being the only 'world' of the pure mathematician, especially when he comes up against the 'brick wall' of limits to mathematics which inevitably attend the 'axiomatic formulation' of that world 'construct' into which the pure mathematician is more likely to disappear into compared to the physicist mathematician who alsways keep an eye open for the 'real world' meaning of all those symbols and terms and logics).

Anyway, good luck with your ultimate choice, alnix. In the end you will choose what suits your temperament and your curiosity stream and future potential career opportunities etc etc.

PS: Maybe you can arrange for a choice which leaves open the possibility of switching from one study discipline to the other without too much wasted effort/training/knowledge gained from your first choice course? If so, then just go with your immediate instinct/curiosity and then switch if you change your mind, hey? Or maybe you could do pure maths formal study while doing a 'hobby' or 'extra curricular' study (or part time job?) involving applied maths and physics; if only to keep yourself grounded and give greater insight into the meanings of the pure relationships/logics in pure maths world? Either way, all the best for your intellectual endeavours in the universal search for real enlightenment of the real world as well as the 'axiomatic world' of the pure mathematician, alnix. Sorry, can't stay. Gotta go. See you round!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.