Photography: Infrared Film and Cross-Processing

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Ifu, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Ifu Banned Banned

I know I should probably be asking this at a dedicated photography forum, but I've just gotten much too used to this one and I know some of you practice photography and the arts. Anyway here is my question:

Has anyone tried cross-processing color infrared film? (ie., processing a roll of C-41 film in E-6 chemistry). I was thinking I would try it, but I know when you cross-process any negative film in E-6 you need to overexpose and overprocess it.

Are there any specific rules to exposing color infrared film? Any subjects I might want to stay away from (bright lights? certain colors?). I don't really know anything about infrared film yet, so I was hoping someone here would.

I'm really drawn to the high-end commercial aspect of photography, so my subjects may involve something like that (and will more than likely be shot in a studio setting, although I may decide on landscapes or something else if the end-result seems interesting), but of course this particular technique is a bit more artistic and will provide a fair amount of leeway when it comes to subjects.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.