Philosophers have the highest IQ

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by ProCop, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Philosphers have the highest IQ because they sit, long and bearded, on mountain tops.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I think it would be cool to live in the mountains and have no job.. just think, write, read, and do things outside.. basically support yourself.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

BS, untested crapola

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

As we have discussed in the past, IQ based on IQ tests don't really hack it at showing true intelligence. So, let's use something else in its place, let's call it TI or, True Intelligence, for example.

Why should philosophers posses more TI than rocket scientists, or successful business people or people that are really good at parenting?

8. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

PRo Cop

So who decides what is a good test for intelligence?

The test is only as good as the person devising the test. Thus flawed.

Note: According to Mensa my IQ is 155, do you still believe in the validity of intelligence tests?

9. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Mensa's test is one of the toughest I ever tried to do; I think I probably got a rating of 30. If you try one of the online tests you'll probably top 200.

10. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

don't be daft 30 is retarded! You surely mean 130.

11. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

I kid you not (maybe I was too stoned). The other online tests gave me 130.

12. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

The best philosophers are proper scientists and mathematicians who are philosophers on the side. Anyone who devotes themselves completely only does so because they are too thick to study something else.

Exception: The odd monk or hermit etc. who hasn't had the opportunity to become properly educated - but certainly would have done so if given the chance.

13. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

well if you are reducing it to this level, I may add the best philosophers drive taxi cabs

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. ProCop Valued Senior Member

Life.

15. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

haha

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

ahhh... I hate taxi drivers.

Well... what I said's certainly true at my uni anyway.

16. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

How so? What one does with their life is the true test of intelligence? What about those people that refuse to do anything significant just because it doesn't interest them? I have heard of very intelligent people who don't work... they just sit at home and think all day.. never accomplishing much.

17. ProCop Valued Senior Member

IQ test is a test of IQ capacity(c). Life is an "aplied IQ capacity" test(ac).

if c-ac = 0 you are OK

if c-ac <> 0 then either the c or ac are wrong (wrong test or wrong life) LOL

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  18. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

What a great approach. I suggest a Nobel Prize in something..

19. roshan.kumar.m Registered Member

You are assuming a philosophical question?

Philosophy starts where you stop. Your assumption that everything needs to be in order, sequence, linear ultimately may be true or may not be true. However in philosophy "the order in everything" is in question from time immemorial. I shall just ask you a question. Why is there not one question, in meta physics, asked till today that is answered by mathematics? Well can it be because mathematicians didnt try to answer those questions?
    Well mathematics has been around for a long time now. Or is the universe simply, infinitely probablisitic for human comprehension? Or is it just that, if not all, atleast some philosophers have found some answers but it is impossible to prove it to the human eye. What you are calling complex has an order but all mixed up , however it has an order. This is the reason why there is a chess competition. But have you heard of competition in painting? Or is it that painting has too many permutations and combinations. It does give a picture!!! but to only those who can understand it.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  20. roshan.kumar.m Registered Member

You are assuming a philosophical question?

Philosophy starts where you stop. Your assumption that everything needs to be in order, sequence, linear ultimately may be true or may not be true. However in philosophy "the order in everything" is in question from time immemorial. I shall just ask you a question. Why is there not one question, in meta physics, asked till today that is answered by mathematics? Well can it be because mathematicians didnt try to answer those questions?
    Well mathematics has been around for a long time now. Or is the universe simply, infinitely probablisitic for human comprehension? Or is it just that, if not all, atleast some philosophers have found some answers but it is impossible to prove it to the human eye. What you are calling complex has an order but all mixed up , however it has an order. This is the reason why there is a chess competition. But have you heard of competition in painting? Or is it that painting has too many permutations and combinations. But it does give a picture!!! but to only those who can understand it.

21. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Lower case this time:

Thou
    Shalt
    Not
    Commiteth
    Thread
    Necromancy!

Thus Sayeth the Prince!

22. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

DeVinci had an estimated IQ of 220, and as far as I know, he wasn't that great of a philosopher...or at least he didn't share his wealth of knowledge.

23. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

Do monkeys philosophise?