Petroleum rewards

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Stryder, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I had a thought the other day while sitting in a car at a petroleum station.

On the pump beside the car was an offer for being able to by certain objects for cheap, if a certain amount of fuel was purchased.

I thought of all the offers that people see at petroleum stations, free/cheap gifts, air miles to name a few.
    I then thought about all the controversy done by certain rich countries companing about the Kyoto summit sometime back and realised what should be done.

Instead of the petroleum companies offering cheap or free gifts or air miles for travelling, why don't they do a special where they say that ever amount of petrol you buy, buys up a chunk of rainforest to be set aside and left alone or goes towards the cost of making things more environmentally viable.

Okay so it means the populous that happens to fill up their car with fuel would overnight be turned hypocritical from on one hand outputting emission and the other saving a rain forest.

I'm sure people could live without their free gifts.

If you think this is any good, mention it here (And write to your local politician

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I couldn't write it, because we get no free gifts

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. goofy headed punk Registered Senior Member

Neat idea, but would people be willing to give up their gifts for a chunk of forest they will probably never see or even care about?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Heck, if your not going to use the gift why not? Depending on how the host company plays things it might save them money. (offer a smaller piece of forest than you could buy with the worth of the gift; the consumer wont know)

8. Alien Mastermind Registered Senior Member

I don't think many people care about rain forests. Furthermore, your idea isn't very realistic, because petrolium companies don't have much control of the land where the rain forest is located at.

It would be possible to donate pure money to environmental companies that might do something about the destruction of rain forests, but I think that is already being done (without much seccess, I agree).