Personality Types

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by sniffy, Nov 7, 2007.

1. DeepThought Banned Banned

Do genes determine whether we are hermits or not?

If not then their exclusion from the gene pool cannot really affect 'hermitness'.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sniffy Banned Banned

Perhaps their dead end genes have determined their propensity to hermitness. Humans are genetically predisposed to not being hermits therefore hermit genes not passed on.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. maxg Registered Senior Member

Yes. And it's more accurate to think of there being a number of different personality factors/spectrums. The best known probably being introversion-extroversion (the other common ones are openness, conscientiousness, agreeableness & neuroticism) but there are probably 100's of ones that could be devised. People who try to come up with systems of personality types, these days at least, tend to test a number of different personality factors and look for common groupings--it's a pretty crude system though.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sniffy Banned Banned

So you are saying there are an Infinite number of personalities? I suspect there are not.

8. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Suspect? On what evidence?
    There can't be an infinite number since the spectrum isn't of infinite length, but there will be an infinite number of points on that spectrum, mostly indistinguishable from those nearest on either side... When does one "personality" become another?
    (I'm asking 'cos I'm thinking of getting one and I'd like to know what's available).

9. sniffy Banned Banned

Personalities for sale....! Queue here.

10. DeepThought Banned Banned

Dead end genes?

What about homosexuals and people who choose not to have children - the sterile and impotent?

Is there a connection between them and hermitness?

If humans are genetically predisposed to not being hermits then the causes of their hermitness must lie elsewhere...

The leaf that falls from the tree or the rock that rolls away from the mountain... are these examples of nature's natural 'hermitivity'?

11. sniffy Banned Banned

12. DeepThought Banned Banned

Really... please post evidence of a gay couple producing children... by themselves.

So you think the way we behave socially is determined by our genes?

13. sniffy Banned Banned

14. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

No-one has children by themselves, you, umm, sorta need someone else at some point.
    As happened with the homosexuals that have kids...

There's a genetic component in there certainly.

15. DeepThought Banned Banned

Biology would disagree.

Never in human history have a homosexual couple produced children.

I notice the slight reservation there.

If something as vague as social behavior can be determined by our genes so can many other attributes of the personality I expect.

16. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Nothing was said about COUPLES, homosexuals have had and still do have children in the "normal" way - they're still homosexual and they have children..

No reservation: it's unknown to what extent it occurs.

Of course.

17. sniffy Banned Banned

How?

And your point is?

Social behaviour is not vague. It is necessary to survival. Yes that's what I've been implying glad you caught up.

18. DeepThought Banned Banned

Oli,

Practically speaking very few homosexuals have children in the way you speak of I think.

The original comment was simply a response to Sniffys claim that dead-end genes cause 'hermitness'.

19. DeepThought Banned Banned

20. sniffy Banned Banned

DT In your view what might cause someone to become a hermit?

21. sniffy Banned Banned

Thanks for that notsodeep I'm quite familiar with the mechanics of the penis. (I will make an aside point that not all homosexuals are male which you seem to have assumed here). Penile mechanics is irrelevent to the discussion, as is the fact that homosexuals do indeed have children. You seem to have a problem accepting that and I'm wondering why that might be?

22. DeepThought Banned Banned

Sniffy,

The problem is all yours.

When you figure out why two women or two men are incapable of producing children you let me know otherwise it's all in the link I posted.

When you say homosexuals do have children you are making a political statement. This is not a forum for political science.

23. DeepThought Banned Banned

Perhaps hermits are sensitive and gifted individuals who see the stupidity of the human herd and wish to avoid it at all costs?