personality theory based on archetypes

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by Kimani, Nov 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kimani Registered Senior Member

Hello, my name is Kimani Shorter. I have developed a theory of personality types. My idea is based on Carl Jung's theory of archetypes. This is a summary of my concept.

http://kimanishorter.tripod.com/id1.html

Dennis Tate likes this.
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Your work is similar to that of Myers and Briggs. Their paradigm is widely used.

You have six dimensions instead of four.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I like what you've done, here. Your ideas are organized well. What do you plan to do with this? There are quite a few sites out there that offer a hybrid of Jung's theory, and Myers Briggs, also. What are your thoughts to MB's methodology?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Oops...we were typing @ the same time, I see.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Mazulu Banned Banned

9. Kimani Registered Senior Member

I'm trying to get this used in the school system. I already work in the public school system here and I've shown it to some social workers and school psychologists who liked it. One of the social workers I spoke with wanted to use it on the middle school emotionally disturbed program that she works with as a career counseling tool. Another social worker is trying to get used at the high school that she works at.

10. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Wow...this is very exciting! I think it would bring a lot of value into the school system, in terms of career counseling, etc. Nice initiative on your part!

11. wellwisher Banned Banned

The archetypes are analogous to the personality firmware within the brain which define the commonality of human nature. This is why you can classify them. They represent genetic based neural forms or types which are empty at birth. If you do first hand science you can see them in action. Second hand science makes it harder to see.

As an analogy of their development from birth, picture a small seed. Like the archetype firmware, it is simple at birth, but contains all the instructions needed to grow a complete plant with leaves, fruits and seeds. We go through stages of life. But its growth is not only dependent on genetics, but also on many factors in the external environment. This allows it to learn and adapt to any conditions. There are externals factors like water, amount/intensity of light, pH, nutrients, bugs, virus, soil composition, temperature, all of which can impact the final plant. There are people with green thumbs and black thumbs that also get involved in development.

The goal is to start with a stress plant and attempt to bring it back to health; optimized firmware.

12. Mazulu Banned Banned

Personality types...

13. wellwisher Banned Banned

I like Jung's theory of the four orientating functions, which are intellect, emotion, sensation and intuition. Each of these functions can be used to orientate oneself with reality. The various combinations of the four and their relative degree will defines a personality type.

I am an intuitive intellectual as my two main functions. The second two are emotion and sensory. I can imagine and work it out in my mind even without sensory experiment.

Nancy Reagan the wife of the ex-president Reagan was an emotional intuitive and could read people within a few seconds. Thomas Edison was a hands on inventor or intellectual and sensation. A person only into pleasure would might be sensation complemented by intellect or emotion.

14. Kimani Registered Senior Member

Well which of my three types do you see yourself as? Take the assessment.

15. wellwisher Banned Banned

I would be the wise old man and hero type by your model. I am always fighting battles in the forums. My evolving wisdom allows me to go into battle from odd/new angles so my opponents are off guard, allowing me to fight fortitude positions even when outnumbered. With each battle I learn and gain wisdom.

When I was younger I became interested in Jungian psychology due to the concepts of the inner self and the collective unconscious. I had already dabbled in main stream forms of psychology, concerned with the ego self and became self actualized. With my personality all up to date, I was still a human living life with its ups and downs. I felt that there needed to be more. Jung provided the next phase which was to learn about the collective aspects of the human mind, natural to the human brain. Just as the ego is the center of the conscious mind the inner self was the center of the collective unconscious. I wanted to center myself on the inner self.

I started at the bottom, which is the shadow. The shadow is an artifact of law of good and evil; tree of knowledge of good and evil. To know a law you need to know the good and the bad side of the law, while willfully choosing the good side. That means you learn both sides, stay conscious of the good, but repress the bad so it becomes connected to the unconscious mind; bad side data is conserved. The shadow appears from this.

The shadow, is like our shadow on the ground during the afternoon sun. It follows us and is the result of the light (of law). To minimize the shadow, the sun has to be directly overhead. The largest shadow is the rising and setting sun. This is where you begin.

The shadow is the gateway to the collective unconscious. The hero within began when I chose to confront my shadow and get past it so I could explore the collective unconscious. The symbols of the knight fighting the dragon to steal his treasure is symbolic of this confrontation. Each archetype has its own shadow side such that the shadow itself evolves until the sun (inner self) reaches overhead and there is no shadow.

16. wellwisher Banned Banned

If you look at the above picture it is full of symbolism, which is the language of the collective unconscious. All the characters in the drama are connected to the same person, and represent a range of his archetypes. The horse that the knight/hero archetype rides, represents our instinctive nature. The horse is white (positive side of instinct shows animal fear), yet the knight, which is connected to conscious mind, is fighting with calm resolve. One can be afraid, while also being objective to the fear, since there are two centers of consciousness; inner self and the ego. The inner self generates the fear and the cause of fear. His reason is trying to maintain detachment so it can be overcome.

The knight breaks his lance into three pieces. His initial approach was too linear and too distant and fails to subdue the dragon. His sword, which is two sided and allows closer combat, is connected to reason or cause and effect. This is how he will vanquish at least part one of the shadow. In the background, the female figure is the female side of the knight or as Jung called her, his anima. Once the shadow of his instinct side is overcome the next time he will need to address his female side and her shadow. The sun is rising and the shadow is less frightening but more subtle in terms of how it impacts the archetypes.

17. Kimani Registered Senior Member

I've also been told on another forum that my theory would be good for cognitive behavioral therapy.

18. wellwisher Banned Banned

Your theory is good and useful but it will conflict with liberal programming and propaganda. After data collection, your theory will show that different people use different combinations of archetypes and therefore we are not all equal. Women will appear different from men. Male and female archetypes are complements and are not equals. The liberal confidence game will not just go down without trying to discredit the truth. You would need to be tough skinned or stay at the margins of political correctness=devouring mother archetype.

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Huh? Every student of Jung knows this. That includes about 75% of non-MD psychotherapists, whose counseling is typically directed toward figuring out who you are and making the most of it, not convincing you that you're just like everyone else. The majority of Jungians are liberals.

It's the Freudians who are more conservative, and most of them are MDs. Their paradigm is much simpler than Jung's archetype model.

But the complete set of archetypes is found in every one of us. Some are more dominant, and of course some step up when needed, such as a Reveler-dominant personality letting his Warrior take over if someone tries to harm his children.

We all have all the male and female archetypes. Some are stronger than others, but "different ways on different days" is also true. Surely you've met men with a strong "feminine side," and vice versa. And this does not correlate strongly with sexual orientation. Many gay men are really butch and many lesbians are into fashion and makeup and have soft personalities.

Where did you learn about liberals? You must have grown up in some benighted place like Alabama or Kazakhstan.

Apparently that's where you learned about Jung as well. There is no such archetype as the "devouring mother."

20. Kimani Registered Senior Member

I submitted my idea to the U.S. copyright office yesterday. Also passed it along to a friend of mine who is a teacher at an emotionally disturbed school. He's going to evaluate it and hopefully pass it onto some psychiatrists.

21. Kimani Registered Senior Member

The psychiatrist I am in contact with had me set up the assessment as a survey on this site. He directed some professors and psychologists to the site but they couldn't get results themselves on the site so I had to change it and write directions on how to score everything.

http://obsurvey.com/S2.aspx?id=e71183b5-a692-4151-92dc-5809c2733d3d

22. wellwisher Banned Banned

In my experience, Jungian psychology is not as effective for therapy, as some other orientations. It does not have the best free market appeal. Jungian psychology, is better for the next stage, which is advancing the healthy human psyche, to higher levels of its natural human capacity. One needs to overcome personal problems and the social collective mind (super-ego) before they have the skills needed to differentiate the firmware from social conditioning. Higher human potential benefits by Jungian Psychology by allowing more access to brain core firmware.

The archetypes or firmware are analogous to the operating system behind the human personality and defines us as a species. You don't want people without programming experience trying to make changes in core programs, until they learn some of the skills they will need. Most personal problems are more analogous to using software and don't need tweaking at the level of the operating system.

Men and women are different with respect to the archetypes. Both have similar archetypes, but these are subtelty different. For example, a male hero, in the imagination of most females is not the same as within the imagination of most males. They will both project the symbol of a male archetype, but the ladies will make him more feminine, like Fabio in romance novels. The male will project a tough, blood and dirt hero, who has no fear.

In movies, the hero has to be part of a love story to attract the females. They want the male hero to be sensitive. The male hero for men only has to overcome and kill and avoid being killed. The love story in the action triller is for the male hero of the ladies. Some of the confusion that could lead to conclusion that male and female archetypes are the same, is most of the symbols in the old and ancient literature come from the minds of males. There is not enough historical female generated data to better isolate the differences. There is logic for the differences.

The base level archetypes are connected to natural human instincts. These archetypes in male and female are complementary and connected to the natural capacities of the male and female bodies. The male does not need to instinctively know about the changes of being pregnant, since his body is not designed to do this. Women were pregnant way before science and had children before hospitals. Male and female instincts complement each other, in the sense, each has firmware tuned to the unique capability of their bodies, which combine for the extended needs of procreation.

The next levels of firmware in men and women build upon this foundation. In the case of the male hero symbol, the different foundations result in different figures satisfying the role. The men have to hunt and fight so they visualize a male hero who has to be tough as toe nails. The ladies prefer to soften their male hero so when he gets home he is a teddy bear they can control with her charms. It comes back to the foundation of the body.

23. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

@ Kimani

I wouldn't want to throw a spanner in the works but how does your hypothesis work with Feral Children?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.