Permanent Blue Line on LED screen - Help!

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by aaqucnaona, Jul 7, 2013.

1. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

I have a Samsung LED screen 23" and today suddenly [about 1/2 hour ago] saw a blue vertical line about 1/3 way in from the right side. It disappears when the screen is white and is most prominent when the screen is black [but not off]. It is present in some intensity at most colours. So it seems this one row of blue pixels cannot dim or change their brightness. I placed my smartphone pretty close to the screen [it was charging for about 8 hours]. Did this have anything to do with it? The screen is just over an year old. What should I do?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

one idea: shut it down, go for a walk and let it cool off for about 60 minutes, try again and see if the problem is still present when the unit is cold.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

you did nothing to cause this line, it's a manufacturing defect and will remain.
    if the flatscreen is still under warranty then you can get a replacement.

the reason the line "disappears" when the screen goes white is due to how colors are made with monitors.
    white requires all 3 colors red, blue, and green.
    red and green are driven to full intensity and the blue is already there, therefor white is the result.
    as the white fads to black the blue line will become more and more noticeable

if you do get a replacement i suggest you use the old monitor in the kids room.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Did that [left it off for about 5 hours] and it still persists.

8. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

I have the same problem, only my blue line is on each side of the screen, about 1/2 inch from the edge. After the unit has warmed up, mine go away.

9. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

a quick google:
    Leopold is quite right I think..

10. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Has it warranty?

11. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

There are few types of failure to my knowledge that cause this.

Circuit Hardware Error
    One is known as a CDC error, it's usually caused by a failure in a board within the device itself (Possibly due to a manufacturer fault, over-heating or an electrical surge). What this means in say a laptop is you can actually completely replace the screen but you'd still have the error show if it's using the same chipset.

Screen Error
    Another failure is with the actual display itself, these are usually less common (dead pixels are obviously more common) however if a fault or damage occurs to a horizontal or vertical line feed it can cause a line across the entire screen, it might be only one colour being predominant or no colour at all (black). In those instances the screen would have to be replaced if you don't want a line, or sent back on warranty as suggested.

Transient Media error
    Thirdly there is the less likely one which involves the medium of transition (What cable you plug in the back), if you are using say a HDMI cable you'll find that there are many potentials that for instance HDMI uses and encoded format for data transmission (Designed originally as part of DRM to reduce DVD copies via feed, although DVD-RW kind of undermined it overall) If the encoding is malformed you'll likely not receive an image at all, or in cases where you use sound through HDMI connection too you might not have sound. This fault is often caused by the software and/or drivers (damaged cables can also cause this problem), however it wouldn't create a single line across the screen (I'm only identifying it to generalise the various problems and where they usually reside)

Your problem exists in the first two (one or other), there is no "Wrap it in a towel", "Stand on your head" or "Incant in Latin that Bluescreens are a messenger from the Heavens" fix for this. It's simply a failure at a hardware level that can only be fixed by the company that produced the product or one of it's associate outlets. (You can possibly get it fixed for cheaper than buying a new one, however it will likely be shipped by freight for cheap, which usually means sitting in a dock for months before it even gets to the country of origin to be fixed and then having to take the return journey. If you are lucky, you can possibly find out that your particular product is prone to this hardware failure in which case the manufacturer might fix the fault for free or even have extended the Warranty, you'll have to search out the product online though to see if that's the case)

12. billvon Valued Senior Member

Smartphone close to the screen is unrelated.

It is likely a bad column driver and will not "fix itself." Nor can you easily replace the driver; it is typically integrated onto either the glass of the display or the flex that connects to it, and is very hard to replace.

BTW what you have is probably an LCD screen with an LED backlight, not an LED screen such as many tablets have nowadays.