Pepper spray students.. what the @#%^

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by sifreak21, Nov 20, 2011.

1. keith1 Guest

You need not pull out nationwide demos on this one. The fact the UC Davis campus itself has a very pristine criminal past displays just how really "bored stupid" these police must be.

Maybe we should be pulling out the national stats on the correlation between growing crime rate and lack of employment, a major crux issue of these student sit-ins.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I found this in a Wikipedia link. Doesn't look as safe as I thought.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

No one was injured.
    They all went home that night.
    Indeed the reason it is used is because in arrest situations when it is used there are fewer injuries to BOTH the police and the people being arrested.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Someone on another forum pinned down what everyone else has been dancing around. The spray was not used for stopping an attacker. It was not used on anyone resisting arrest. It was not used against anyone posing any threat. It was used by the officer to punish the protesters.

I cannot find any report anywhere that says any of those who were sprayed were arrested.

But I guess right wing authoritarians will defend other right wing authoritarians.

8. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

9. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Well that does beat getting shot. But everything gets videoed these days and I think the police lost some respect from the public nation wide. So I wouldn't say no one got hurt. When the public loses confidence in the police it ultimately hurts us all.

10. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Reading comprehension fail. Yes, some students were arrested. But I've found nothing that said that any of those who were pepper sprayed were arrested.

If you watch this video you can plainly see some students being put in plastic cuffs and hauled away. None of them were dosed with pepper spray. Is anyone complaining about their treatment? Not here. Nor anywhere else I've found.

I guess the officers felt the pepper spray was punishment enough? The trouble is, police officers are not in the business of doling out punishment. If they need to arrest people, fine arrest them. If people resist when being arrested, at this time and in this country we've decided that using pepper spray on those resisting is a legitimate option for LEOs. But dosing people for engaging in non violent protesting? Not legitimate, and undermined even further by the fact that they took none of them into custody.

11. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

You think the ones arrested were the ones standing by and doing nothing?

Really?

Major Logic Comprehension FAIL.

12. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

So, have you found anything anywhere that says that any of the students who were hit with pepper spray were arrested? Because none of the coverage I've seen or read even hints at that. If you watch the above video, yes, there are some students being cuffed. None of them were sprayed first. The opening line of the above video: "10 people were arrested and many others were hit with pepper spray."

13. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Why do you think it matters?

The officers had to wade in and physically move these people.
    Doing so without use of pepper spray actually increases the risks to both sides.

The only thing that is clear is that those against the use of pepper spray on those breaking the law don't give a damn about the safety of the police while they are doing their job.

The fact is as much as you go on about this event, everyone went home that night with no lasting injury.

Indeed the reason it is used is because in crowd control situations when it is used there are fewer actual injuries to BOTH sides and it is safer then the use of Tear Gas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CS_gas

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  14. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

No, they did not. They could have just left. It was a perfectly viable option.
    Chancellor Katehi has apologized for this incident, but the school's faculty association has demanded her resignation anyway.

The Daily Mail's coverage is the only one I've been able to find that makes it clear that at least some of those who were hit with the spray were taken into custody:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...epper-spray-video-Two-officers-suspended.html

15. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Only if you believe that the police should have allowed them to break the law.

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

what law were they breaking? unless your saying that the right to protest isn't guaranteed in the US any more

17. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Protesting is ok.
    But you have to obey the law when you do so.
    You know, not block public rights of ways, that sort of thing.

18. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Oh my gosh, those police have gone and done it again....

Tukwila officer Mike Murphy says about 20 people were sprayed in a group. One man was arrested in connection with an assault. No one was injured.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spo...per-spray-to-end-fights-over-air-jordans.html

Kinda puts this whole incident in perspective.

Or does anyone expect a huge outpouring of indignation because the police once again used pepper spray to control a crowd?

Bet not.

But that's only because there's no political angle to it.

Won't hear about this again.

19. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Yep! Two very different situations. These people were already engaged in fighting. The other people waiting in line were probably happy to see the police taking action to put a stop to it. I know I would have been.

20. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

The point is, pepper spray IS used for routine crowd control.

21. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Hey! It's better than shooting them.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Oh my gosh, those police have gone and done it again....

BOYNTON BEACH, Fla. -- Police in South Florida say they were forced to use pepper spray on mall patrons after several fights erupted while a large crowd of shoppers waited to buy the new Nike Air Jordan shoes.

http://www.wpbf.com/news/30065584/detail.html#ixzz1hOzcw9nn

23. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Mostly humorous pictures and some are interesting. Posting this link is not intended as taking any position this subject.

Pepper Spraying Cop