People slipping through time.

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by GaiaGirl95, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Then you're just plain nuts! Something like you claim simply cannot happen. So drop it already!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. GaiaGirl95 Banned Banned

You have no foundation as to why it cannot happen, which it did, because we experienced it for ourselves. Nothing will change what we know we experienced.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

To believe what you wish us to believe, is to believe in fairies, goblins, gnomes, Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.
    It didn't happen, period.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GaiaGirl95 Banned Banned

We did not wish for it, we KNOW it happened.
    Do not dare to pretend that you know the universe and its secrets.

8. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

The real secret is that you skipped back 30 minutes and you don't know how to get back! You are stuck in the past, lagging behind the rest of society by 30 minutes.

9. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Not trying to insult you GG, but you sound like you suffer from PPD. (I'm quite familar, as my sister suffers from it) People with this disorder will hold on to beliefs, no matter how much evidence is presented to show them wrong. Just like in your "cold air swells the thymus" thread. Even though numerous people pointed out the thymus is in your chest, you kept right on believing it was in your neck. You're sounding like a Woo....like a 911 Truther or Moon Hoaxer.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Fair enough. Thanks for the explanation.

11. cornel Registered Senior Member

You don't need drugs to have things happening in your brains, your brain is continuesly storing memory, projecting consciousness, and reacting to urges, my very rough estimate is that 90% of it is subconscious.

And you did feel something, else you (and your friend) would not 've been like "WOA, WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?"

Have you ever had a deja vu ? It's pretty much what you just described, except it doesn't go over 30 minutes, but more like 10 seconds.
    I 've had them, and the understanding that my brain was just being confused ends them almost instantly.
    It's realy common for human brains to play all kinds of tricks on us

Consider this, btw, there was some conversation about you being crazy(mentally ill)
    the difference between the crazies and the normals is not that the normies don't ever imagine things which aren't true, the difference is that they don't believe in it.

12. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Oh congratulations MacGyver, PPD! That's great. Next time a forum member won't agree with me I'll tell them they've got PPD, and that I can't possibly have it because I've had all my shots.

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I can't speak for everyone, but OK, I'll accept your assertion that you weren't stoned. However, as you surely understand, "Normal" is nothing more than a setting on a washing machine. Just because you didn't feel like there were weasels chewing on your feet, a powerful odor of roses in the air, or a trembling in your house as it began to lose its moorings and head off for Kansas, doesn't mean that your brain wasn't farting for a moment. We all occasionally experience something that doesn't make sense, but it's usually so trivial that we don't take the trouble to analyze it and determine whether it was a brain fart.

Hypnotists can put all kinds of crazy notions in your head. There's no reason to assume that this can't occasionally happen without someone else's meddling. As for the assertion that you both experienced the same strange thing, there are lots of reasons why two people together might find themselves with the same odd memory after discussing it.

True. But as I said, your insistence that you did indeed experience it carries absolutely no weight in a scientific discussion. You could even agree to a lie detector test, but those are far from 100% reliable. Again, I don't mean to accuse you of lying. I'm just saying that if you want to present your assertion to a body with more stature than SciForums (i.e., virtually any other organization

), they will terminate the discussion as soon as it's clear that the only evidence you have is the assertion itself. You just can't launch a scientific investigation on the basis of something incredibly extraordinary that somebody says they experienced. You just can't.

Actually the entire goal of science is to know the universe and its secrets. We've done a stupendous job of discovering and understanding those secrets in the five centuries since formal science as we know it was adopted as the best way to do it.

Sure, there are still a lot of things we haven't figured out. But you're talking about time travel, and as I noted previously, the notion of time travel wreaks havoc with the universe itself, not merely our understanding of the universe. The fact that we can't travel back and forth in time is just about as true-beyond-any-possibility-of-ever-being-disproven as evolution. In other words, about one step lower than 1+1=2.

This is why you're getting so much flak from the other members. This goes way beyond the Rule of Laplace. Your assertion is not just extraordinary. It contradicts the fundamental structure of the space-time continuum!

The Wikipedia article says that in most cases déjà vu (French for "already seen") is caused by the brain getting a fleeting glimpse of something and then being distracted. The person doesn't consciously remember the glimpse, so when he sees it "again" he jumps to the conclusion that it must be something he saw in the past.

Investigations invariably determine that the viewer actually has very few details of the "previous" vision (because it was too short for them to register), giving the illusion that it must have happened quite a while ago so that the memories have attenuated.

I think it's unnecessarily insulting to suggest that she is crazy.

Look at the billions of people who believe in gods. That's a lot more wacky than simply believing that you've traveled back in time for a few seconds. Are they all crazy?

14. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

GalaGirl95:
    Time as the fourth dimension is convenient model for various purposes. None of the accepted models treat it in the same manner in which they deal with the spacial dimensions.

None of the valid models treat it like SciFi stories/novels, which allow traveling backwards or forwards faster than normal.

The best explanations for your experience (other than a made up story) are some type of hallucination, misinterpretation of an experience, and/or confused mental processing of your experiences.

Your following remark does not support your notions of a so called time slip:
    Except for certain proofs via axiomatic logic (most mathematical theorems, for example), there are no statements/beliefs which can be proven. Lack of proof for a notion provides neither proof nor support for some opposing notion.

BTW: Deja Vue is a common experience some what similar to the above. One reasonable explanation for it is confusion when storing current experiences in memory. The mind thinks that it is recalling the experience from memory rather than storing it in memory.

Note that prior to storing experiences in long term memory there is subconscious processing in short term memory.

The following is not directly pertinent to the topic of this Thread.

Much of a persons’s mental activity involves processing at a subconscious level followed by presenting the results to the conscious mind. An excellent example of this was demonstrated by a phoney recording which actually was similar to the following:
    At the time Reagan was running for president.

The majority of the politically knowledgeable adults who heard the recording put Reagan in place of the cough & thought the cough occurred elsewhere in the sentence.

The above was an experiment by psychologists & indicated that what a person thinks he heard is not only sometimes incorrect, but is also offset in time by 200 to 500 milliseconds (The clue to the identity of the person is at the end of the sentence, 200 to 500 milliseconds after the cough).

The above offset in real time awareness is believed to be due to subconscious processing of verbal data in short term memory followed by presentation of the results to the conscious mind. This subconscious processing is believed to be required in order to understand speech from those with an pronounced accent and/or to understand speech from those using a word order different from that expected by the listener.

Those with an ear for music will treat missing or misplaced notes in a familiar melody as errors rather than correcting the auditory input.

The above indicates that musical input is processed differently from verbal speech & might be heard in a close approximation to real time.

BTW: Skeptics are often chided with remarks including a phrase like the following.
    My reply to such remarks is the following:
    Linguists think that our brain has a mechanism similar to a mathematical attractor which is useful in understanding verbal input. Many very similar, but recognizably different sounds, must be processed as equivalent. Such an attractor provides an explanation for Chinese confusion of the sounds of the letters L & R. The same attractor is used for both of these sounds because the phonetics of the Chinese language does not include both sounds.

15. Mathers2013 Banned Banned

Yeah it's happened to me a number of times. The most recent was when drinking vodka at a friends house (he's a musician; into opera.) One time I was drinking a full glass and the next it was empty. Bizzarre!

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

This is why the word "theory" has a different meaning in science than in mathematics. Mathematical theories are derived entirely from abstractions, and therefore can be proven true beyond any doubt. The theories of science, on the other hand, are derived from observations of the behavior of the natural universe. They can only be proven true beyond a reasonable doubt. Although scientific theories are seldom proven false, it is not uncommon for one to be simply augmented, for example, Einstein's adjustments to Newton's laws of motion, which could not have been foreseen in an era without electronic instruments.

Unfortunately, scientists are notoriously sloppy communicators. Thus they coin horrible terms like "String Theory," which in reality is nothing more than a bunch of really cool math combined with a lot of arm waving.

As I noted earlier, studies indicate that a very common cause of the phenomenon is an interruption in the reception of a visual image, so that it doesn't quite make it all the way into the conscious mind. When the image is recaptured, the brain compares it to the incomplete one in storage. Because that image is so poor, a reasonable reaction is that it must be very old, and the person is seeing it for a second time.

It's been established that the Homo sapiens brain does indeed have a dedicated speech center. (Contrary to Jean Auel's characters in the Clan of the Cave Bear books, it was recently discovered that the Neanderthal brian has one too--which ruins one of her major story lines.)

This is why it's important to use the more proper term "oral," which means expressed in spoken language rather than "verbal," which means merely "expressed in language" and includes written language. It's common for people with brains damaged by stroke, who can no longer speak, to still be able to read and write.

Indeed. Although language and music have much in common, music is absolutely not language, so it is not processed the same way. Employees in institutions for the elderly regularly report on their surprise when a resident who doesn't recognize his own children, and can't communicate orally or in writing, sits down at the piano in the lounge and plays Gershwin, singing the lyrics perfectly.

The three defining elements of music are melody, harmony and rhythm. In order to perceive the rhythmic aspect--especially for marching or dancing!--it simply has to be processed in real time.

Again, you mean "oral" rather than "verbal," since you're not talking about reading and writing. As for the "mechanism," it is the speech center I mentioned earlier.

Actually, Mandarin (the dominant language of China) has an R sound, but it is much more similar to the Czech Ř, a retroflex fricative, than to the strange gargled American English R, the gutteral R of most Germanic languages, Parisian French and Brazilian Portuguese, or the flapped/trilled R of Spanish, Japanese, Russian and most other languages.

Cantonese and the other Chinese languages (not dialects!) do not have this weird R, nor any other kind. Japanese, on the other hand, has R but no L.

17. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

This Thread has gone far enough to ignore with the following remark b]:[/b]
    GaiaGirl95 can be ignored in the absence of supporting cogent evidence.

18. cornel Registered Senior Member

Anyone who paid the least attention to what she wrote can clearly recognize she came for an answer/help, and not a debate; so not sure why you expected evidence.

19. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Cornel: Do you have some reason to believe the following?
    Her posts suggest that she either believes she had some strange experience or is making up an interesting story. While she denies it, LSD or other medication might be involved.

20. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Not true - as evidenced by the other threads she/he has started. Nothing but a troll that has been BANNED from other sites. (shrug)

21. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't consider that a very good metric. Aristotle is thought to have had the earliest concept of particles, and expounded on the properties of the material world, to include the idea of mass. In any case, it's entirely a relative question: knowledge advances with time. And no matter how much anyone understands the universe, it doesn't change the fact that reality doesn't care how much we know. Things are as they are with or without us, much less our relative degrees of knowledge of its esoteric details. You notice this whenever someone who develops a very peculiar notion of reality is born, lives, and then dies, while the world remains unchanged.

Maybe you both unwittingly ingested a psychotropic substance. Maybe you broke a small blood vessel and a false memory has been planted somewhere. Maybe you are recalling a dream that appears to be something you actually experienced. Even all of these are far more plausible than the alternative.

Even dimensionality is arbitrary. If I ask you to give me the measurement of a bookcase, you won't have any problem doing so in rectilinear dimensions. But try expressing the vertices of the bookcase in terms of the solid angle falling onto your retinas (plus the phase information that gives you the depth perception) and you'll be hard pressed to assert that three is really a magic number after all. It's just a convention that's useful and practical.

That leaves the question of whether time is actually a dimension or not since it projects no such solid angle. And in fact when relativistic speeds are involved, time operates on your field of view such that the bookcase appears to be rotated (squashed) into a smaller solid angle, while the clock dilates (slows down). From that idea I would be more prone to say time is something of an anti-dimension. The key point is that time and space are ultimately relative, and perceptions can even be physically distorted under certain conditions native to the world around us.

As for the crux of your idea -- whether the arrow of time can be messed with -- it brings to mind virtual particles. Here it's worthy of considering whether time flows in retrograde, given that the nature of the microcosm lives under special laws. Quantization is one of the better known differences. But there is some room for developing the idea of retrograde as it applies to the uncanny nature of particle annihilation and creation. But none of that applies at the macro scale. Besides, you would need a magic time machine to allow you preserve your memory as you moved back and forth through time.

You're actually referring to something altogether different than physics. It's merely an experience, a personal one at that, which evidently you are convinced of. That puts it in another arena far from physics. We can either address experience at its roots in physiological / biological processes (owing to evolution) or else in terms of the psychological aspects of the ways the mind plays tricks on people. The rest is metaphysics/paranormal/occult subject matter. Physics doesn't incorporate personal experience beyond basic observation, and only recognizes those observations that are universal. So the state of knowledge of the universe won't fall within the scope of your issue. Obviously deja vu experiences are addressed nowhere in the physical sciences.

22. cornel Registered Senior Member

@dinosaur:

Yup, in the first case asking for evidence doesn't realy help, in the second case we're dealing with a troll and wasting our time anyhow.

Sure, then again, there are plenty of other explanations available as well, that's why i tried explaining to her our mind often enough just plays tricks on us.
    Young adolescents are still vulnerable to new kinds of input, for the simple reason they're not as experienced and often haven't found their own way yet.

23. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Okay, GaiaGirl95, I will give you that currently, today, time travel is not only possible, but it is actually occurring, nay, happening, literally everywhere in this world!

Now before you take that statement to mean anything other than my intended meaning, maybe you should take a little time and re-read to fully realize how absolutely true that my first statement actually is!!!

I'll give you a little time to do that...

Even though my first statement is so, again, literally, 100%, bona-fide, no way to refute, undeniably, unimpeachable, absolutely true...so true, in fact, that I cannot help myself, but to repeat it!

Heck not only will I repeat it, I think that when I repeat it, I will even add more....I am not really sure how to say this...without sounding like... "that guy that Knows Everything"...or..."that guy that Listens to Aliens"...or..."that guy that Lives in the Matrix"... but...shall we call it...Truth, when I repeat my previous - literally, absolutely True, statement!!!

Okay, GaiaGirl95, are you ready?

Here it comes!

I will give you that currently, today, time travel is not only possible, but it is actually occurring, nay,happening, literally everywhere in this world, and Reality dictates that, from here on out, possibly even forever, that time travel will continue until all time stops or no longer exists!!!

Maybe I should give you little time to reread and fully comprehend the "additional Truth" that I included when repeated my previous, literally, absolutely true, statement.

Go ahead, I'll wait...

There, GaiaGirl95, in a few statements I have told you what you seem to have been wanting to hear.

Of course...