Paying to help my Dad out with religion

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by garbonzo, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bells Staff Member

He has specifically told you that it is his religion and his religious belief that is making him depressed and possibly suicidal? Or are you guessing that is what it is because it is not the truth to you the atheist?

Who gives a shit if he believes in a fairy tale and what he believes in is not truth. Billions of other people also believe in a deity of some sort and believe in a fairy tale. Atheism is a choice, a personal realisation that there is no God. Atheism is not about forcing anyone to stop believing. It is about respecting the beliefs of others and respecting their choices.

I think your father deserves whatever happiness he can get and if he gets that in his religious beliefs, then so be it. That is his life and his beliefs. Not yours.

Why are you trying to force atheism on your father when he has specifically told you that he is happy to continue believing as he does and die happy (as per what you said in your op). So why can't you respect that?

In your OP you say he is depressed, you then say he is possibly suicidal because of his marital problems and then you go on to say that he will be depressed if he finds out the truth about his religious beliefs..

Why are you trying to make him more depressed and upset than he already is?

Why can't you just let him be happy and respect his decision to believe in whatever deity he chooses to believe in and belong to whatever religion he has chosen to belong to for over 40 years?

He is a theist. He chooses to be a theist. He has told you he would rather be a theist and die happy.

What part of that don't you understand?

Which is why they send their children to public or private schools with children of all faiths and work and associate with and are related to people who are not Jehovah's.. I have a cousin in another country who is a Jehovah. Her children are Catholics. Her sister converted to Islam when she married a Muslim. They celebrate every single religious holiday they can together and they attend the weddings, funerals, etc of all our family regardless of their religious beliefs..

No, we cannot judge. So why are you judging them and demanding they hear what you believe is the truth?

Maybe they feel their beliefs represent the truth and your atheism represents dishonesty and lies?

You keep changing what his depression and stress is linked to. You have gone from saying it was caused by his marital woes, to his religion, to not being his religion to now being his religion again. So which is it?

He has chosen his path. How about you respect it and leave him in peace and stop trying to force him into something he has already told you that he does not want?

Your path is right for you. It may very well be completely wrong for him.

Again, you keep contradicting yourself.

First you claim he is stubborn and not interested in your version of 'the truth'.

Then he will shun you if you tell him the truth..

And then you claim he's not too bright and may not understand 'the truth'..

And now you claim that he is not unreasonable and closed minded..

Shall we pick one out of a hat?

I am going to make this very clear and simple for you..

1) You claimed in your OP that you asked your father if he wanted to know the truth or live a lie and die happy. He told you he is happy to live 'the lie' and die happy.. in other words, he told you he likes his religious beliefs. See here:

"So what I did was actually ask him. If he would rather know the truth and be sad the rest of his life or be lied to and be happy. I myself would have picked the latter to be honest; but my Dad with his infinite curiousity chose the former." ​

2) You then claimed his marital problems was causing him stress which resulted in his being depressed.

3) You then advised us of his apparently problems with his groin, and again advised of his ongoing depression..

4) Then you said you feared he was suicidal because of his depression (which you first claimed was from the marital problems then started to change your story and claim it was from his religious beliefs and then said no it was because of his religion).

Now these are but some of the claims you made. I left out the parts where you claimed he wasn't very bright and the other insulting and demeaning ways in which you described your father.

So now you claim he has told you he would rather the truth?

I have to ask, why can't you even get your story straight? You have consistently contradicted yourself in this thread.

Frankly right now, after reading that you are willing to pay complete strangers from the internet to call your father and question his beliefs because you want him to believe like you do, the father you described as being stressed, depressed and possibly suicidal, maybe it might be best for his mental health if he did shun you.

That may be your goal. But here is the reality..

You are on here placing your father in a dangerous and in an uncontrolled situation where the result could be catastrophic for him and for yourself. And I am not talking about shunning. Here is what you proposed in the OP after discussing your rates:

You could pretend to be one of his old return visits (people interested in the JW religion) and looked him up in the phone book or something. Act interested in the Bible and the religion for a little bit, asking questions etc. without questioning the authenticity of it at all, and then say, "Well, you know, I've been interested in JWs for awhile, so I looked some info up on them and found this... is this accurate or not?" Something like that.

Good information about JWs are found here: JWFacts.org and of course Google. Please PM me what you plan to say so I can make sure it is accurate and can't be reasonably disputed. If you are a seasoned religious debater, I'm sure you'll do fine on pointing out the Biblical contradictions and errors alone. Again PM me on this, as there are some seeming contradictions and even real contradictions, errors etc. that JWs have been trained to ignore. Use only the best ones, that cannot be explained, if you even go this route. He is a curious person and will talk to you for awhile I'm guessing if you do it that way. If you do it right with just the plain facts, then I think he can turn.

You could also ask him why he believes the Bible is true and point out every so called "evidence" he has. Please be stealthy in your approach, eg. Instead of saying, "There is no proof the Bible is insipired of God at all," say something like:

"I've always wondered what evidence there is that the Bible is the inspired word of God. Do you have any? I'm sure you understand I don't want to just blindly accept the Bible because it says to, Haha."

(He responds with what he thinks is evidence.)

Depending on what he says, you could either state a logical fact, or say, "Well, that's funny because I read X and it makes sense to me, does it not make sense to you?" Like if he states a prophecy that "came true" or something, lol.

This seems to be a better approach to me. Let the burden of proof lie in his hands. If you need to look something up that you don't know, don't say, "Let me look this up and I'll get back to you," because he might not answer next time you call. Instead you can say something like, "Okay. Well, very nice talking with you, you've definately cleared up a few things for me. I may be interested in a Bible study at a later date. When is a good time to call?" Etc. Then the next time you call you could say after formalities, "Well I've done some research on X and...." That way he is already talking to you.

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2913777&postcount=1

In other words, you have started this thread and you are offering to sell complete and utter strangers your father's contact details for money, so they can call him and question his beliefs to try to get him to see "the truth". You have stated yourself that your father is depressed, stressed and possibly suicidal. And you are telling complete strangers to call him, lie to him about who they are and and then challenge his deeply held beliefs because you want him to see things your way?

This is supposed to be your way of caring and supporting him?

By pimping out his contact details on a public forum so that they can call him and lie to him about who they are and challenge his beliefs? To a depressed, stressed and possibly suicidal man?

If you love your father and do not want to risk his already fragile mental health, I would strongly suggest you cease and desist and get him the professional help he needs. That does not include having untrained people on an internet forum calling him up after you sell them his details so that they can challenge him which could very well result in his suffering from a complete and utter breakdown or possibly taking his own life.

Now, I am going to be polite and assume that you are not trying to hasten your father's demise. In which case, I am going to warn you in an official capacity as a moderator of this site to cease and desist and if I find out that you provided people on this forum with your father's personal contact details without your father posting his explicit consent on this forum, I will kick you from this site myself. Because while you may not realise that you are endangering your father's mental health and possibly even his physical health and wellbeing by providing his contact details to complete strangers to fulfil your plans, the reality is that you are endangering your father and this site is not going to be a party to that. Have I made myself clear?

I am not going to bother responding to the rest of your post because I think I have already told you everything you need to know about what I and this site thinks of your plan.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Then she is not a devout Jehovah's Witness and is probably on the road to being disfellowshipped. JW's believe the Catholic church is the "Great Whore of Babylon". And they do not celebrate any religious holidays except one, the memorial of the last supper. To do otherwise is to join in the "perversion" of the "true religion".

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

Wouldn't know. She does not discuss her religious beliefs with her family. She just likes spending time with her family and is invited to every social and/or holiday occasion and she attends.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. garbonzo Registered Senior Member

So instead of admitting that was a wrong example you cant even admit that? This shows how stubborn you are and unwillig to admit any mistakes.

What gmilam said was the truth and I can give you citations if need be. Don't say "wouldn't know" like its a "maybe" when its the truth.

8. Bells Staff Member

What he said might very well be the truth. But it is not something she has chosen to share with us. Religion and religious belief is personal and she is very personal about such things. So I do not know if she is about to be removed. Because she has never said. But seeing that this has been going on for over 15 years and she would often entertain at home and her sibblings and children are always invited along with many of her fellow Church members, I would imagine they know.

9. garbonzo Registered Senior Member

I came on here to prove my beliefs. I couldn't prove them, so I was either faced with cognitive dissonance or realization of truth (based on what we currently know).

10. garbonzo Registered Senior Member

No, I was just saying that it was a bad example of a Jehovah's Witness when it is obvious she isn't devout. Are you sure she is even baptized? She can't be removed if he wasn't baptized, lol. She just isn't devout. I don't think celebrating holidays is reason for removal, but she may be restricted in what she is able to do within the religion, if they even do know about it. It is a no-no if you with to "please God", though.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  11. garbonzo Registered Senior Member

Your posts regularly indicate challenges with reading comprehension. Is this something you've had diagnosed, perhaps? I ask because the answer to your question is quite clear if you've read the thread at all, and this is not the first time on this site you've made such a comment where the answer was right before you. I'm not even going to answer comments that have such disregard to my replies.

I'm not even going to answer comments that have such disregard to my replies. Also, you have a weird definition of atheism, indeed.

I'm not even going to answer comments that have such disregard to my replies.

Read below.

Read below.

Read below.

I'm not even going to answer comments that have such disregard to my replies. (Try Ctrl + F + "*** Watchtower 1994 2/15, p 24 ***")

I know I've said this before, also, but their beliefs are based on fairy tales, whereas our beliefs are based on facts (of what we currently know).

Where have I said it wasn't connected to his religion? A citation, please. It is caused by his marital woes and it is caused by his religion. Both things at the same time.

When you are in a car crash, the cause could be because of both driver's errors. For instance, if you are texting while driving while driving or whatever and went into the other lane, nothing might have happened and the car who you would have hit veered out of the way. Now what happens if both were distracted? Car crash happens. It is technically both driver's fault.

If my Dad had married someone without a mental disorder and who had loved him, he may not be depressed and he may be happy in this religion, but that is not the case, and the religion is making it much much much worse.

Read below.

1. Read below.

2. Yes. At this point he will. I have to do it when he has doubt so that he may not shun me.

3. Are you serious? I've never said such a thing, I said he doesn't have the tools to even begin to understand. He certainly is bright enough to understand the claim that there is no evidence that the Bible is God's word. The question is will he be logical and accept it or will he have a case of cognitive dissonance?

4. I don't believe him to be so, but there is absolutely no way to know unless it is tried.

Ah, finally we get to the main point I've been asking you to read below for.

I do believe you need to learn the meaning of the word "latter" and "former". If you had read the thread you would know someone else had that same problem but corrected himself. Yes, it really is that simple.

Yes. Based on the meanings of those words above...

Have I?

Again, not knowing about the situation. I've already said I want them to call my Google Voice #. I will have complete control over the discussion. One wrong word and *Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.*

And yet again extremely exaggerating what I've said.

You do not represent the members of this site, even if you are a moderator.

I believe anyone on this site will agree that you are exaggerating, distorting, disregarding, taking my comments out of context, and even replying to things I never even said. It seems that members have had disagreements with you in the past, also, but I am only basing that on one person's opinion. :shrug:

I'm not sure what your position is on this forum, but if I were to be banned, I would like to be approved to be banned by at least another moderator that has viewed all posts on this thread, also, if I may be given the courtesy. I do not believe I am in the wrong here, as I have tried to show in my replies to you.

No one has insulted me as you have over all the other forums I have posted to about this matter, and certainly no moderator has threatened me with removal over such a trivial matter when I have shown it is 100% under control and in no way "dangerous" to my father.

If you wish I can post an edited thread with all monetary subjects removed, as it may have been foolish to do that, I agree with you, and we can close this thread. :shrug:

Sincerely, I thank you.

12. gmilam Valued Senior Member

I believe social events are fine, as are weddings and funerals. It's the religious holidays and birthdays that are the kicker.

But the thing about JW's is they WITNESS. It's in the name... Maybe she just doesn't like you and doesn't want to see you in paradise.

13. garbonzo Registered Senior Member

Agreed. The social events are fine as long as they are not in another church or something.

14. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Always do ctrl+a and ctrl+c from time to time so that you can just paste from the last copy. I had this problem myself a few times.

In todays age and more so tomorrow, it is truely impossible to any person to really be alone. The internet ensures that even if you like to eat a honey-marmalade-jam-peanutbutter-cucumber sandwitch, you can find people like you.

Bells, asking my Dad to think for myself is 100% equal to asking a plumber to think for himself when he is tasked with building a car. Let me relate the analogy:

That is your Dad, ok.

Thats the brainwashing from the JW, got it.

Is you father sad because JW somehow doesnt fit his expectations? OR is he sad because JW is forcing him into doing things he doesnt want to do by exploiting the mental cage their brainwashing cornered him into?

That is quite arbritrary, since that level of certainty is not available to us. However, for a personal, literal god, its close enough [it would not be so if you father were a deist for example].

So the JW ideology is demonstrably wrong or flawed? Can you elaborate?

Again, you cannot be sure of anything. An inventor or a salesman is a better analogy than a real car mechanic.

No, its the former. BUt the choice must be made depending on all relevant factors, not just these ones.

The friend should tell only if doubts or suspicions or other things make me unhappy in my current relationship OR if I personally value truth or knowledge above all else. There is a difference beause will the plumber is suffering due to his lack of knowledge, the guy in the example above isnt.

15. Bells Staff Member

I would strongly suggest you can the attitude. The consensus [so far] in the back room is that you be banned now and this thread deleted and you then be watched closely. My warning to you is to get you to stop.

And you clearly do not understand atheists who post on this site. It is not our job or role to force anyone, let alone people suffering from depression, to become atheists. People who come here and post about their beliefs do so knowing their religion will be questioned and queried and what they are posting will be challenged. What you are effectively doing is denying theists a right to their beliefs.

I mean look at what you are proposing? You are telling complete strangers on an open forum all of the intimate details of your father's personal and private problems, from his marital woes to his illness and then you go on to describe him as being lazy, stupid and a plethora of other insulting terms. You then go on to tell the members of this forum that you will pay them to call your father, to lie to your father and challenge the man you claim is suffering from depression and possibly suicidal to make him see "the truth".

I can assure you Gabonzo, before I even issued you the warning I did above, I had already requested a review of this thread and the response was that you be banned now and this thread deleted because of what you are trying to do. The person who suggested the ban is a strong and avid atheist. Do you understand why what you are doing here is not allowed and why we will not tolerate it?

1) You are offering to provide complete strangers on this site with your father's personal contact details and pay them to call your father and lie to him.. You then advised that people who take you up on your offer could find themselves potentially making thousands of dollars. There are no allowable words to describe what I think of you or what you are proposing on this thread.

2) You claim your father is depressed and suicidal. If your father ended up harming himself or anyone else and it was caused directly by the calls you are asking people to make, it would mean that you, his son, will have used this site to push your father to either suicide or self harm. I'm sorry, but that is not acceptable. Pushing a person who is depressed and suicidal (remember, this is how you described your father) instead of getting professional help can have dangerous repercussions for your father and possibly disastrous ones for you and for the potential caller.

And I can assure you, the owners of this site will not look too kindly at facing a possible police investigation because a member decided to provide his father's personal and private details and pay other members to call his depressed and suicidal father to challenge him on his deeply held beliefs.

I do not know how to make that simpler for you.

16. garbonzo Registered Senior Member

I had done this, but I needed to check my email for something urgent in the middle of typing it out, and copied and pasted a number, lol. I only had to write a few more sentences and I would be home-free I thought after clicking submit. Boy did that teach me a lesson. You are never home-free, Haha.

I have Internet friends, but they are all around my age or young. I may find some older friend in the future, but not currently.
    The point I wanted to bring out was that there is something wrong here, but the plumber doesn't think it's a problem with his "car" because he believes it really is a car when it is not. My Dad doesn't see a problem because he believes everything the religion teaches is truth when it is not.

That part wasn't meant to be apart of the analogy, I was really just telling a story at that point. XD

We can be sure that the JW religion is not the truth, though.
    They claim to base their religion on the Bible when they take scriptures out of context for their own teachings, and even mistranslated things in their translation of the Bible whenever it contradicts their teachings. So by believing this religion you are in actuality saying the Bible is wrong, without even realizing it, lol.

Not to mention al the failed predictions and changed teachings.

If you were inspired of God, there would be no reason to change your teachings or be inspired to predict things that don't come true. They explain this by, "The light getting brighter." Which is just another scripture they take out of context, lol. Its ludicrious. If anything, a religion will add things, but not change things and predict things that fail, lol. I'm just afraid to tell my Dad this face to face....

I didn't mean for you to get technical, Haha. For the point of the story, that is a real car mechanic with credentials to back it up.

The whole point of the analogy was to relate the two. By saying that, doesn't it invalidate the analogy?

But I do get what you mean, and for that your are just going to have to trust me. :/
    My Dad has told that he would rather the latter above all else. (he values knowledge and truth, even if that would mean him living in misery.) By that, he has given me the indirect, but withstanding go ahead to ask for help on here, I believe.

Thank you, mate.

17. garbonzo Registered Senior Member

Okay dude... my redundancies have clearly not helped you see the real situation here (not the one you somehow got in your head and apparently those that think I should be banned head's either), but at least I got a shorter reply.

Hopefully I can explain it, I don't know, more clearer or something, I don't know, but I will explain it again and we will see what happens.

Let's see if we can make this easier on both of us if you can please respond to each line? Even if there is nothing to respond to, you can agree or say understood or something. Hopefully this will make sure you aren't missing anything, or if you find a problem with my reasoning, you can directly reply to each point. I beg of you.

I do NOT, I repeat, I do NOT want to FORCE or MAKE, as you say, or any of it's derivatives, my beliefs on my Dad. That would be tantamount to the religious crusaders or USSR campaigns, and would be childish, and literally impossible.

My Dad told me he values the truth above all else. (This is on one line, because there seemed to be a misunderstanding about this before.)

I want to give him that option without having the possibility of being shunned by him and my other family members.

My Dad has no knowledge on how to use any research tools, and neither does he want to use them. He likes learning through his ears only. But he does LOVE learning.

The only option I see is by word of mouth, without incriminating myself in the process. (I don't want him to think that I question the religion.)

If my Dad is unreasonable, I WILL NOT bring up the subject again, myself.

I find my dad should be open minded because of his curiosity, and his wanting to know the truth, even when it jepardizes his own happiness. (His words.)

I have no way of knowing if my Dad is suicidal. This is not fact, I don't have ESP, he hasn't been diagnosed professionally. He told me he has had suicidal thoughts in the past. How serious was this? Couldn't he have been lying to me for reasons unknown? I don't know, and you don't know. It shouldn't be discussed as fact.

Let me discuss the facts about my Dad anonymously and you yourself draw your own conclusions as to my Dad's attributes. I believe this to be no worse than asking for advice on advice forums. Lately my Dad watches TV all day 3 or 4 days a week besides making some important phone calls with regards to his houses. On the other days he is doing neccesary things in regards to his work. Even in his work he is procrastinating to the max, even with my constant reminders from myself. Paying bills on the last possible day without incurring a late fee, even taxes. We just got caught up on the book work after it hadn't been touched in 6 months. My Dad and I have both been staying up past midnight doing various entertainment activities. For me, it's not really important, as I have no responsibilities that rely on me getting up early, and have been told it's normal at this stage in life. For my Dad, he gets upset because he isn't getting to study his religious literature. Even though he is his own man, as you say, I myself have been trying to go to bed earlier just so he might follow my example. 9 out of 10 times it doesn't work. My Dad expresses desire to me to want to go back to church, but never follows through on it. I am not sure why.

My Dad has told me a lot lately that he is depressed. He leaves out why, but he always expresses his discontent with the situation he is in. ("I haven't been loved all my life, and never will because there is no sister in the congregation I like and I don't want to actively pursue anyone because my spirituality is so weak now." "I cant get any position in the congregation or pioneer, or comment at the meetings because the elders say I have to either get a divorce or have sexual relations with a wife that doesn't love or respect me." His own words.) These things are directly related to the religion.

Would he be better off without the religion? I have reason to believe so, based on what I know, and based on what he has told me. He is happier with the truth, his problems as stated in his own words above would be no more, and he will have me to support him the rest of his life if need be, especially when he has absolutely no friends otherwise.

I acted childishly when I involved monetary funds. It was a mistake based on unsound reasoning. My reasons for this is because I was desperate and wanted to appeal to people. I've tried elsewhere and received no help with my problem when I didn't involve monetary subject matter. I also thought it would be a good idea to help others who were struggling with their faith as I have gone through. Obviously gaining money behind someone's back is morally repugnant; it was a mistake. I still believe it wouldn't be with his permission and making it non-profit, but that is the furthest thing from my mind right now. Please accept my apology. And my offer still stands to lock this thread and ask for help on another thread. (My Dad cannot be apologized to for obvious reasons.)

I do not want anyone to lie to my Father. I only want them to be my Father's bible study student for a few minutes. Asking him questions many people will even ask you at the door. (My father unfortunately has not been asked these questions by an informed person, and I've asked him that.)

I am not giving out any of my Father's personal information. I am giving out my own phone number, which I will forward to my Dad. I will be listening in to prevent anything from possibly happening, as I have the control to end the conversation if I do not like it.

If my Dad wishes, he may want the truth on the matter and ask me to look up whatever he was told. I will ask him questions myself, but ultimately it has to be my father's choice to want to look it up.

My Father is no lunatic, as you seem to be describing him in your point #2, I have described my father only as having been suicidal in the past, I see no inclination of him being so now, I have no idea (and I have stated this), but based on my observations as related above, he is depressed because of problems directly related to the religion, and he yearns for the truth. Also, I only ever intended the phone calls to be a spark that my Dad himself will chose whether or not to light, I don't see how some questions that anyone can ask him when he knocks on people's doors will cause him to go crazy and harm himself and/or others. That is just nuts. (Also, I've never heard of site owners being held responsible for what their members do, but that is besides the point, because it is rediculous to suggest the events leading up to that will even happen in the first place.)

My Dad does not want professional help. After my mom and I suggesting he get help several times, he got defensive, felt insulted and claimed it was only a mild temporary depression and God would help him through it. To be clear, my Mom is being treated for BPD, and has a therapist, etc. The religion by no means villifies professional help not involving hypnosis, etc. It encourages it if need be, but also says to rely on God above all else, as he will help you, and if he doesn't do it in this system of things, and you die, you will be ressurected into paradise for staying faithful. Although at one time, I do believe, the religion teached against antibiotics and one leader even died after not wanting to take them. Don't quote me on that, though.

I believe I've explained the situation to the best of my abilities now, although I do believe most of these points have been said by me before.

Again, please reply to each line if you can spare me the courtesy.

Thanks a bunch.

And a smiley to clarify my tone.

18. Bells Staff Member

Garbonzo, I am going to assume that you are very young, and you may not understand depression and what it can lead people to. I understand your desire for your father to 'see the truth' and how you do not want him to get hurt within the JW.

You have stated several times that your father is suffering from depression. Now, you may not think that anyone could say anything to your father when he goes door knocking, which could push him over the edge. Here is the thing, depression is a terrible illness and no one can know what that final catalyst is. You also said earlier in this thread, that you suspected he could even be suicidal and now you say he may not be but he had been in his past. This is not something you may want to play with or try to push to him. If he is depressed, he is in a very fragile state of mind. While you may want to help him, you aren't going about it the right way.

You are also failing to see the realisation that if he does see the truth as you are trying to push him to see it (and believe me, you are pushing), he could then find himself shunned by his family, friends and community, which for someone suffering from depression, would be catastrophic.

You are going down a very dangerous road and the victim here could very well be your father. If you want to help him, talk to him, try to convince him to seek professional help. Or even speak to his doctor for example or trusted friend. And then, when he is fully recovered, start to talk to him about your religion. Not challenge him full on about his religious beliefs when he is in such a fragile state.

19. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

@Gab - on Bells. Play nice. Bells is a She and she is much more matured and experienced than we are. Plus, she is a mod - not the one to be locking horns with, at least not emotionally [if you find a logical flaw, knock it down, but please learn to confine logic to thinking and emotion to experience]. And stop being so self assertive, its natural for our age but it isnt helpful in tight and delicate situations.

20. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Agreed.

@Gar

Indeed this is a serious matter Gar. I suggest you post a retraction of the money offer and personal details and ask the mods to edit out that part. Turn this into just an advice thread and deal with the problem yourself. We want to help you, but we cannot risk ourselves or this site in the process. You have to do this yourself - either tactfully and controllable follow the advice you see best for you OR learn to live with your father's beliefs and problems, seeking other avenues for helping him like seeing a friendly or personal counselor at a home visit, doing outdoor stuff together, etc. As for this thread, let it evolved, see who gives what advice, what kinds of ideas and suggestions emerge and play it slow and smart.

21. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

I was going to reply to #94 but you can comprehnsively summed up my thoughts too. I am with Bells on this one Gar, as we know more about your dad, the worse the idea of deconversion seems for now. The first and foremost task you or some trusted friend of yours is to do is to understand and analyse your father mentally so that you can understand his depression , try and solve it and take steps to prevent a relapse before, during or after the then acceptable deconversion. And take a pause and be the sceptic towards yourself - analyse every single conclusion or assumption you make about the situation, the troubles and the causes. Try and knock down your own answers to see it they are worth holding. This is a minefield you are running around in, its best to recheck everything.

22. gmilam Valued Senior Member

About 30 years ago I had a friend convert to Jehovah's Witness. For a while we could discuss ideas and bible interpretations. However, the deeper he got into it the more often I heard, "Let me check with the elders and I'll get back with you on that." Then he would return with the party line on whatever topic we had been discussing.

His wife left him soon after his conversion. A few years later he married a lady he met at church. That didn't work out for whatever reasons and he went through depression. The root of it was that by JW doctrine, adultery is the only legitimate reason for divorce. There was no adultery in this case, so in the eyes of the church they were still married. He managed to get through it. I lost touch with him about 20 years ago, so I don't know how he's doing these days.

23. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Fuck it, you have drawn me in, I have to reply directly.

The great ethical dilemma about inducing a deconversion is that the deconvertor has to make the decision for the deconvertee, so its usually best that they both be the same person. As you would yourself know and almost every non-believer on this site would agree, once the spell is broken, it can never be the same again. The problem is that the outcome can be worse than the current situation, and that [and not the truth] should be your greatest concern. As an atheist, rationalist and sceptic, you MUST be a Pragmatist. You cannot let your [or anyone's] thinking take precedence over practical things. And you are indeed pushing this because it is you, not your father, who would be making a decision - hence the onus of breaking the spell and taking responsibility for the outcome falls on you - its the same dilemma a doctor faces from time to time, often is life or death choices, and I dont think you are up to anything near that. Not Yet, Gar. Take the advice of someone close to you, a wiser or older friend maybe. Have him/her help you out. There must be someone - a friend's professor, someone's aunt or uncle - this is essential that you dont take the decision on your own, not until you can convice the neutral third party [this site] that your decision, or your very capability or right to make that decision, is justified. I know I am being harsh after being supportive for a time but I was unaware of the seriousness of this situation.

Ok, but have someone wise and friendly personally do it.

Good choice. NOw your are starting to be pragmatic.

If the effects are serious enough, that should not be your decision to make.

The worse must always to considered contingent if not outright likely. That is something that, IMO, should become second nature to you if you are to be the realist you want/claim to be.

He seems to be sad, melancholy, uninterested and inconfident. These issues will not go away just with a deconversion. It runs much deeper, I think. Advice on this particular issue is beyond me, I must admit.

He needs a shrink, not a deconversion.

You alone should not make this judgement. Involve others and listen to them. Let that be the purpose of this thread from now.

Ah, an apology and honest admitance. A man after my own heart indeed - http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2904599&postcount=87
    You have my appreciation, respect and appraisal.

If it can be demonstrably shown to be justified to a good enough end, even outright manipulation of your father is acceptable to me. But so far, that is not the case, hence the need for delicate handling.

Your actions and words dont seems to echo the freedom you want to give your father. I repeat - now is not the time for deconversion, now is the time for psychological help, be it from anyone.

Then bring in a private/friendly shrink as a bible study student. If you consider this, put it up for advice from other sciforumers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.