Patriotism is wrong

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by spuriousmonkey, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Anomalous Banned Banned

Food has been used by UN worker to get sex from women and children dieing of hunger.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

So you're saying (implying actually) that we should stop eating food because a few UN workers used it to bribe a few persons into having coitus?
    Nothing further.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. john smith Tongue in cheek Registered Senior Member

Anomalous,

who the hell are you??

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Anomalous Banned Banned

Nope, I was just nullifing your example.

8. Anomalous Banned Banned

Its always a good iea to check members profile, U r still a rookie.

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

You want to be a sheep because you always have been.

10. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

Patriotism is a form of blind allegiance to some abstract ideal. I prefer allegiance to my people as an organic entity (nationalism), and that definitely is not compatible with multiculturalism!

:m:

11. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Sheep to what? I had to instill my patriotism to the ancient Austrian Empire by myself. No one forced me to it. I simply felt a connection to my forefather's homeland, and went with that.

12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Didn't anyone tell you the Austrian empire doesn't exist anymore. Which part of the empire was actually your forefather's homeland? Why aren't you patriotic about that? Is it because you feel a need to belong to something greater. Have you been taught that it is good to belong something greater. In what way do you think it is normal to feel patriotic about something non-existent?

13. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Kingdom of Bohemia, specifically. However, at the time he came over to the US, it was part of a great whole, the Austrian (or rather, austro-hungarian) Empire.
    No one taught me about that. What part of that do you not underfuckingstand? I looked it up myself, and felt a personal connection to the ancient land where my greatgrandpa originated.

14. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Are you confusing nostalgia with patrotism?

15. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

android Patriotism isn't necessarily a blind allegiance. I think that's more properly termed fanatacism. I have my reasons for my allegiance to the United States, and they certainly don't involve turning off my mind.

16. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

I gotta back up Hapsburg, here. My ancestors are considered extinct (Chaco-Anasazi on my father's side). At one time, they had an empire of their own that covered the southwestern United States and a not-inconsiderable portion of Mexico. Among our slaves were the people who would become the Hopi, the Navajo, and the Apache. I have always felt a great degree of pride when I would see their ancient buildings still standing, with only time being able to do what centuries of warfare and slave uprisings could not.

You can't be nostalgic for something you were never there for.