Pastor Terry Jones as a representative of American actions and values

Discussion in 'World Events' started by S.A.M., Apr 2, 2011.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Is Pastor Terry Jones the Face of America? Isn't his opinion of Islam/Muslims what most Americans consider to be true anyway? He's only burned a book - when compared to the deaths of children [the price was worth it], the torture and killing of civilians [birth pangs of the New Middle East], the indifference to the destruction of millions of lives [Operation "Enduring Freedom"] and apathy to the death of innocents [we don't do body counts], it hardly seems worthwhile that so much media attention is focused on an old man burning a book in his own church at home.

Why do you suppose people give so much attention to irrelevancies and miss the forest for the trees? Is the action of one crackpot more significant than the daily continued actions of the whole state?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

I had to look up who the clown was to be honest. And then I remembered..

Well if said crackpot's actions seem indicative of what the State feels and what the general public feel.

Wait and see and you'll probably have a plethora of posters comment about apostacy in Islam, you know to balance out the hatred and all.

Islam is the new boogeyman. Hadn't you heard?

Focusing on Jones and then reminding everyone about how bad Islam is, while condemning Jones (you and I both know that is exactly what we will see in this thread) is the perfect way to tell everyone just how this is just one bad apple and condemn his actions, while insulting and abusing Islam and ignoring the true problems.

Meh.. We needed comic relief and this retard provided it. Now I am going to sit back and watch the usual suspects comment about how awful he is while reminding everyone of the awfulness of Islam.

This is all been there, done that..

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bells Staff Member

See what I mean?

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Personally I consider Pastor Jones a symptom of the malaise, rather than a cause. Its not like the last 10 years in Afghanistan have been without riots, demonstrations and deaths - or even the killing of foreign troops. Innocent children get killed there by Britney Spears imitation troops [oops I did it again!] on an almost daily basis.

So some more people died in some riot between natives and occupying troops in Afghanistan - after 10 years of occupation, its hardly news. And yeah, five of the people who died were Afghans, not that any one cares.

Thats exactly my point. Do you think any American is likely to address the killings, torture, deaths and destruction of the countries and peoples

Nope they are engrossed by irrelevancies. People dying in theory being much more relevant than all the volunteers killing people in fact.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

lessons never learned by whom? The people occupying Afghanistan or the people resisting occupation?

There is a reason Brittania does not rule the seas anymore. Do you think westerners will ever grasp the concept of sovereignty for other peoples?

Do you think Afghans who have been killed and tortured for ten years their country occupied and destroyed have a right to be offended by the sanctimonious occupiers who tell them to get a clue?

10. Bells Staff Member

They be Muslims. Why should anyone care really?

I mean think about it..

Here we have a pastor burning the Qu'ran. It's fodder for daytime news on a slow news day. His message resonates to those who believe in that sort of clap trap. I mean look at the usual response we have seen thus far in this thread (I speak of course of the second response).. Fully expected and to be honest, the message Jones is trying to convey is what many people feel like and do believe (ie, usually posted by the usual suspects in this forum as a prime example).

So yes, it is very much a symptom and not the real problem.

So really, who is going to give a shit that children are getting shot or that innocent civilians are being murdered to satisfy the bloodthirsty urges of insane individuals out to nail them some kill scores? The timing of Jones' book burning was exemplary. Because the lack of comments about "The Kill Team" is pathetic at best. But hey, it takes away attention from the uncomfortable truth. Instead, the news now focuses on those damn Muslims rioting against a book burning.. damn savages that they are. All while the white folks are gunning down innocent civilians for fun and adventure - that's us bringing them civilisation..

11. Bells Staff Member

And it is adorable that you are so predictable.

Good work on proving the actual point.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Who is left to be inspired by Pastor Jones? Aren't they all already enlisted in the war on terror?

13. Bells Staff Member

The card counters like our friend Geoff, who is probably too old to go and bag him some sand niggers and teach them the horrid ways of Islam. White man's laws and religion so much better. I mean look at what we're bringing them! Bravo Company!

Fair exchange?

We're so busy telling Muslims how bad their religion is that we fail to notice what our soldiers are doing over there and we let them get away with it.

Hypocrisy is grand.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'm not sure I'd call it hypocrisy. I don't know what you'd call the heavy media coverage of

"OMG HE BURNED THE QURAN"

over

"OMG THEY JUST BOMBED SEVEN KIDS"

Obviously some things are more important than others, but what makes them important?

15. Bells Staff Member

We do.

I mean, a few days ago, an article was released detailing the murderous actions of a whole company stationed in Afghanistan and how the superiors turned a blind eye to the wilful murder of innocent civilians and this went on for a long time. No one reported on that article. The media was virtually silent about the whole thing.

But some old dude in Florida decides to burn the Qu'ran?

Media are pissing over themselves to report it. Why?

Because the reaction they know they will get will make it newsworthy.

As I said, it just allows the usual suspects to start comparing and again saying 'yours is worse than ours'.. It opens up that line of conversation yet again. And we've already seen one of the usual suspects apply it in this thread already. Now imagine that on a large scale?

It's just another way to bash and beat down on the religion itself - as has been aptly proven by Geoff in this thread already, without any prompting.

Frigging hilarious!

Why bother reporting on soldiers making pacts to kill innocent civilians and then make it look like it's self defense when you can report on an old coot burning the Qu'ran, which will open the door to some Islam bashing? One will mean having to show compassion and condemn soldiers for outright murder of Muslims while the other lets you bash the religion in reporting about what Jones did and then reporting about how it's not really as bad as what Islam does. In short, one allows you to kill two birds with one stone.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Pastor Jones is one face of America, the fanatical and ignorant theocratic kind, not all too different from the enemies of secular democratic civilization who we are fighting and beating in the war in Afghanistan/ Pakistan, and not too different from those who caused untold deaths in Iraq on behalf of the Al Quida/ Baath party alliance. The sanctions on Iraq were a mistake, allowing Saddam to get rich while his people starved. We should have removed him from power long before that. Iraq's sovereignty was null as soon as it's owner committed genocide on the Kurds.

17. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Bells: you have unexplored skills in comedy. I say Mawdudi, Bells thinks "sand-ni**ers". I say Mawdudi, Bells says "he means all of Islam!" The media here flips out that someone's burning a Quran, Bells says "they thinks Islam is bad!" Tiny disconnect, wouldn't you say?

How is it that you can simultaneously take yourselves so seriously, and write this stuff? It's a conundrum.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It was reported, and what does it mean to you anyway? If one thing is wrong, does it make the other right? Should we call a time out on the war because someone violated the rules?

19. Bells Staff Member

How can you expect me to take you seriously when you respond to a pastor burning the Qu'ran with a link about Mawdudi?

You don't comment on the war in Afghanistan, the actual murders of Muslims taking place there by your own soldiers. You respond with a 'yours is worse than ours' line. Tell me, why do you think he was burning the Qu'ran? Because he thinks Islam is good?

You expect me to take you seriously when you do that?

As I said Geoff, you are predictable.

I'm sorry, which is more wrong to you? The burning of a book or the murder of innocent civilians?

Which deserves greater media attention?

Why is the media focusing on this more than they are on the killing of civilians in Afghanistan?

I can assure you, this clown received more attention than the murderers in Bravo Company. I am curious though, why has no one questioned the role of the superiors in that Company, many of whom would have known what was going on? Why has the media not asked why those who did report it were ignored by superiors? Oh wait, that's right. A clown burning a book is more media worthy and it also provides a platform for the likes of Geoff to do the whole 'yours is worse than ours'.

No, it wasn't as widely reported as Pastor Jones. Pastor Jones made international media. But the systemic murders of civilians in Afghanistan barely registered. Which really proves the point.

I think he represents a portion of the US population who thinks there is something wrong with the religion itself.

I think one could say it was null as soon as its owner started shooting all political opposition on national television and instead of sanctions being applied from then on, he was given military support by the West a little bit down the track and he used the very weapons he was helped to develop by the West on the Kurds.

No one gave a shit when he used biological weapons and massacred the Kurds and the Iranians, no one was going to remove him from power. Sanctions caused even more pain and suffering for the civilians. So no, we don't give a shit. All of it was political grandstanding on the West's.

20. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

The actions of the soldiers of Bravo Company (Morlock...what an appropriate last name..) don't fit into our group narrative of American exceptionalism and heroism. Which most Americans have been steeped in.

I think it's a group selection bias effect going on. We don't want to admit we might not be the conquering heroes, so we conveniently screen out info that says we're not. So to use an old media term, those stories "don't have legs," or a new media term, they don't "go viral."

As far as the moron burning the Qu'ran...yeah he's a face of America. Not the entirety, but you see a lot of people of his ilk in the Deep South...these folks never got over desegregation, alright? Why do I say that? they've been trying to bring it back since the late 60's. They put their kids in all-white private Christian schools if they have the funds to do so, or homeschool if they can.
    While there's good reasons to get your child out of US public education, I think part of their reason, whether they totally realize it or not, in some cases, is to get their little white children away from those "other" kids.

They are narrowminded, uneducated, and unthoughtful bigots who practice a very exclusionary, ugly, hypocritical, racist, sexist, and xenophobic subset of Christianity.

In other words, malignant rednecks. We have those here. Can you tell I don't like them?

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think what we can conclude from all the media hype is that drama trumps death for peoples attention. But if it were Pastor Terry's children [or his childrens children] who were bombed, what would be given more attention you think, the fact that he burned a book or that his children [or children's children] were bombed?

I think Pastor Terry should be sent to Afghanistan on behalf of the Dove Outreach program.

What do you think?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

A symptom of America

I would note, though, that for Pastor Jones, it's more than ten years. The War Against Terror, as such, is a Straussian beast, an exploitation of the dualism traditional in Christianity, a derivative of Zoroastrianism.

The thing about the Straussian outlook is that it requires a Devil. If the human species should ever find itself on the brink of peace, the Straussians and other dualists will feel obliged to start something, because it is simply impossible to live without conflict.

This is why we pushed the Cold War long after it was essentially over, why we feared the Soviets even after they fell into impotence. Muslims are the new Soviets, the new Commies. Pastor Jones, for the most part of his life, has existed in a culture that depends on this sort of dualism. There is good, there is evil. We are either one or the other. And, of course, our cultural mythos is not going to call us evil. It will always be that mythical them. And, for now, it's Islam's turn to be the evil them in the American mythos.

I do, however, wish some of our international neighbors recognized that Americans weren't paying attention. Pastor Jones is an asshole. And, sure, we can't arrest and pillory him in the public square, but it's a stupid politic afoot.

People like Jones play to their own small circles. The only outside support they get is something akin to the electoral "swing bloc" that is greedy and frightened, but likes to think of itself as the last rational bastion.

It's a simple enough formula: Do something stupid and useless that you know will piss people off. And then complain about how evil the others are for getting pissed off. Any average day, Jones' small circle will feel affirmed. On a good day, though, they'll win a few of those fence sitters who don't like to think of themselves as being as bigoted as Jones and his followers, but really are just looking for an excuse to hop on the bigots' bandwagon while calling themselves rational.

Jones is a symptom of traditional American fearmongering. He is a symptom of human frailty. I think in the context of being representative of American actions and values, we might try a certain juxtaposition.

The Burnt Qu'ran — As news spreads around the world that the insane pastor in Florida has carried out a kangaroo trial in order to pretend some just reason for burning a Qu'ran, imams around the world urge Muslims to speak out. Most of these appeals are for peaceful protest and, indeed, much peaceful outcry does occur. But in Afghanistan, something goes awry. News reports as of this afternoon couldn't exactly figure it out: Did something set off the protests? Did someone screw up? Were there provocateurs (e.g., genuine enemies) in the crowd looking for an opportunity? For Jones and his ilk, this doesn't matter. Even if it turned out to be a "few bad seeds", or a stunt by Taleban supporters, the outcome still reflects on "Muslims".

Abu Ghraib — Despite orders appearing to come from on high, the necessary cooperation of various military brass and civilian oversight, what happened at Abu Ghraib is exclusively the fault of a "few bad seeds" of low rank in the military, and nothing about the incidents should reflect on the American people, their nation, or their values.​

Which brings us back to the rhetorical point I think most of our neighbors are going to miss. Diff'rent rules for measuring "us" or "them". For "us", there's always an excuse, or even legitimization. For "them", it's simply that they're evil.

That is the symptom, and Pastor Jones is an acute example.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Pretty good wrap Tiassa

As for those questions

Yes of course, there is always opportunism. Hamid Karzai has been making inflammatory speeches against Jones even when the media was ignoring Dove and "Taliban insurgents" or should we say Karzai's mercenaries were part of the demonstrations in Mazar-e-Sharif which has forever lost its reputation as one of the safest places in Afghanistan. Moreover it is hard to say how they arrived at the conclusion that the demonstrations were about the Quran burning rather than the common anti-American demonstrations which are widespread in Afghanistan. How did they know why the people were demonstrating? None of the videos I have seen indicate the reason

e.g. see video here
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12949262

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011