Particles near black holes

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by RoccoR, Aug 12, 2013.

1. pmb Banned Banned

I agree. Energy is in fact a source of gravity so if that was squeezed out then you’d also be squeezing out the gravity source as well.

It’s a common misconception that the uncertainty principle allows for that. Most people/authors/physicists misread the so-called time-energy uncertainty principle. In fact it’s not really an uncertainty principle in the normal sense since it doesn’t give a relationship between two uncertainties since the delta t isn’t an uncertainty but a time interval. See http://home.comcast.net/~peter.m.brown/qm/time_energy_hup.htm

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Isn't it the usual reason given for virtual particles, where the delta t is the very short existence that is "allowed", and the delta E is explained as energy "borrowed from" the vacuum? I've also seen virtual particles explained as amplitudes of half-waves, so that there are no full-waves.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pmb Banned Banned

Yes. It's a very popular reason. It also happens to be wrong. Griffiths explains this on page 51-52 in his text Introduction to Elementary Particles. It's too long to quote though buy he concludes
    He comments regarding the time-energy uncertainty principle.
    Lol!!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Trapped Banned Banned

I'm having trouble with the bolded part.

How can you not have an uncertainty in the time? You say it is a time interval, but you say \(\Delta t\) is not an uncertainty. But what if you know \(\Delta E\) to a high precision wouldn't that conclude an uncertainty in the time interval?

I know that \(\Delta E \Delta t\) aren't true complementary observables, simply because time is not an observable.