Paradox No 1

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by yinyinwang, Nov 6, 2003.

1. yinyinwang Registered Senior Member

Will a fool realise and accept that he is a fool?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

hmm...i accepted a long time ago that I am a fool. But I am not sure if that made me into a non-fool. I still seem to be a fool.

But I can't really be objective about myself of course.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

Who's the fool is all relative, sometimes a person can be pictured to be a fool allthough he's not, his principles can be strange to us, but they may be buildt on something more true even than most normal people's principles. When he tries to explain it, the picture of the fool pops up in peoples heads and they judge what he says according to what a fool is supposed to say, so the meaning of what he says may be lost in others imagination of him.

We may be the fools.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. yinyinwang Registered Senior Member

so others will not accept no-familiar things even they are not correct?

8. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Paradox. I don't think that word means what you think it means.

9. yinyinwang Registered Senior Member

please, be specific.

10. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

Yes, what's familiar to me, may not be familiar to you. I have other experiances, everyone have their own unique worldview (allthough we are the same deep down).

We accept things that we recognize (especially if we allready have a working model).

11. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

Wait a second... everybody are fools on some way, right? So we all have to came to accept it.

12. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

That's what I think too.

There are even different intelligences, what one considers smart may not be smart to another. For example, if someone explain something that sounds very, very complicated then he is considered smarter than the one that explains the same thing in a easy way. Shouldn't it be the opposite?

It may even be so that the ones we consider dumb, may be the smart ones, or we are all equally smart, in our own way.

13. otheadp Banned Banned

once the fool accepts the fact he's a fool, he's no longer a fool

14. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

But if he really aren't a fool, but accepts it because everyone say he is, then he is a fool.

So what if he aren't sure of if he is a fool or not?

Maybe we are a fool when accepting something as true, instead of simply seeing the possibility that it may be true. We are observers of the world, we shouldn't make the truth our own - but don't accept it as true cause then you are a fool, see the possibility

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

Now that I think about it, I believe fools are the ones that ignore possibilities.

16. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

...or chooses to believe in one for the wrong cause...

17. Gagarin Registered Member

95 % of population are fools and they don't know that, 4,99 % are fools and they know that (I conceitedly think I belong in this group) and 1 out of 10000 approximately knows what's going on on this planet ((s)he could be a fisherman at lake Baikal, a farmer from southern Argentina, amateur painter from Bronx or even a scientist from Harvard or other universities).

18. ProCop Valued Senior Member

How this "1 out of 10000 " got this knowledge. Genetic lotery?

19. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

Maybe the same way that we get our knowledge, except that they see it the right way, right away

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Maybe some of it is genetic, but I think that those who have "bad intelligence genes" (or whatever you wanna call it) just have to work harder, and because of that may even be smarter than those with good genes. Who is more intelligent, the one who drives a car or the one that invent a car?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2003
  20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I have the self confidence of a mouse! I think I am a fool, therefor I am.

21. yinyinwang Registered Senior Member

I did not notice a mouse has such thing as confidence, let me think for a while, if you think you are a fool and do nothing about it, then you are a fool really.

22. scilosopher Registered Senior Member

I think theirs assymetry in judging intelligence. A sufficiently smarter person can see the mistakes in reasoning a less intelligent person makes, while a less intelligent person can simply not understand what a smarter person says (assuming adequate communications skills on both parts).

When judging oneself the best tact to take is to start reasoning from multiple starting places about a topic. If the results don't come out consistent you are making mistakes in reasoning and there's something your missing. If they come out consistent, you don't know you're right, but at least you've done what you can to check.

I guess I would conclude that a fool can't understand his limitations or they wouldn't limit him. One can always use references to judge whether others are more intelligent than they. I agree that being a fool is relative ... but would add that what is truly foolish is attempting to do what is beyond your abilities. Being dumb in and of itself is not foolish.

It's interesting to note that fools in medieval times were typically quite intelligent and used their guise of stupidity to say what others did not have the courage to.

23. ItalianItellectual Registered Senior Member

A fool could realize that he is a fool, but it is up to them wether or not to remain a fool becasue once they have the capability to see themselves clearly, they would probably choose not to be a fool, because they have seen their errors that were unseen by themselves