Paperbark Cherry

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Orleander, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I am determined to get one of these. Then I read that the bark is actually a plastic film??? wha??? How does a tree grow plastic?
    View attachment 6077

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

its like cellophane, not really plastic.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The paperback cherry is not a true paperback tree, of which many species (of the myrtle family) grow in Australia. Good thing, because some of them are invasive and crowd out domestic flora. But they also have medicinal properties, and their oil is used in antibacterial and antifungal remedies.

The paperback cherry, like the more common cherry trees, is a member of the Prunus genus and belongs to the rose family, along with plums, apricots, peaches, nectarines and almonds. (Yes, an almond's nut really is a modified apricot pit but the latter is poisonous.) It has no medicinal properties and in fact is not very robust. It needs to be well-tended to avoid infestations. So you'd be best advised to leave this species alone, unless you're the kind of gal who likes to spend a lot of time in your garden every day.

Plastic is made from organic molecules so it's hardly surprising that it is occasionally found in nature.

Although today virtually all plastics start with petrochemicals, substances which satisfy the definition of "plastic" were first invented in the Middle Ages, derived from the sturdy organic polymers in blood and egg proteins. Charles Goodyear invented the technology of vulcanization in the 19th century and many simple (by today's standards) plastics were derived from hot rubber.

Bakelite, invented about 100 years ago, was the first completely synthetic plastic. Many new plastics were synthesized from the molecules extracted from chewing gum and shellac. Polystyrene and PVC went further with this synthesis. Today many plastics are built from entirely synthetic molecules that are created in the lab and not found in nature.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

was this plastic bark ever used for anything?

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'll have to let you do that research.

9. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

I know that Hevea Brasiliensis tree is the rubber tree grown for natural rubber production. As for Prunus Serrula, it is just grown for decorations, no real use of its bark was utilized back where it came from originally, Western China (Tibet). The only real use of the bark would be weaving baskets.

p.s. what are your thoughts on F.R. telling you to look for the information yourself? Did it anger you or did it make you respect him more because of his assertiveness and dominating nature? Me taking advantage of his un-helpfulness, does it make me look kiss-assing or am I "helpful"?

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

odd. :bugeye: I had no thoughts on it at all. Still don't.

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

This is not my board. I am the moderator of Linguistics. I have a lot of knowledge in that field and it makes it easy (or in some cases even possible) for me to find information that might elude the rest of you.

But despite my interest in biology and my experience in breeding dogs and parrots, I am not a biologist. When someone asks a question that piques my own curiosity, I'm happy to look it up in Wikipedia because that way I'm more likely to remember it than if I read it off of a post on SciForums, so it adds to my own knowledge. But if you're talking about real research, which requires rolling up one's sleeves and searching the web for sources that are considerably more detailed (and considerably more reliable) than Wikipedia, I'm no more qualified to do that than you or Orleander or any of our other members. There's no advantage to doing it myself, and in fact there's a disadvantage because I'll only come back with a two-paragraph abstract, whereas Orly will come back with a head full of new knowledge. A scholarly article on the paperbark cherry will probably tell her a lot about the other Prunus species, at least a little about the "real" paperbark trees in Australia, and perhaps even something about plastics, herbal medicine, plant parasites, etc.

Besides, my time is as finite as anyone else's. I can't do everything for everybody. (Seems like I just had that same exchange at the office with my boss.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

12. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Paperbark cherry is best known for its stunning bark. The dark coppery peeling bark is actually a plastic film! It works quite well for winter interest. Unfortunately, it isn't planted that often because it is highly susceptible to borers and diseases, making it a short-lived tree. Still, if you have room in your yard for this showy little beauty, think about giving it a chance.

Excellent for winter interest as the shiny bark will definitely stand out.

Plan on this tree being short-lived, as it usually falls prey to insects and diseases readily.

This can be used as a rootstock for other cherry trees. One combination that is especially lovely is a weeping cherry grafted on top of the paperbark cherry.

Growing Tips For Paperbark Cherry:

Plant in a location with fertile soil that is moist, but has good drainage.

Propagation is through seeds, cuttings and budding.

Maintenance/Pruning

This tree does not usually require much pruning besides removal of problem branches (i.e. damaged or dead). Since they bloom in the spring, it is best to wait until just after blooming has finished, before they start forming the buds for next year.

Pests & Diseases of Paperbark Cherry

Paperbark cherry is highly susceptible to damage from borers and beetles (such as Japanese beetle), which can severely weaken the tree. Aphids, scale, spider mites, tent caterpillars and leafhoppers can also be a problem.

As with all cherries, it is also prone to diseases. Leaf curl, fireblight, dieback, leaf spot, cankers, powdery mildew and root rot are all diseases that may show up in the paperbark cherry.

http://treesandshrubs.about.com/od/commontrees/p/PaperbarkCherry.htm

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I didn't think tent caterpillars actually damaged a tree. do they?
    and my husband loves those things. He uses them for fishing bait

14. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

From 9th post...

Pests & Diseases of Paperbark Cherry

Paperbark cherry is highly susceptible to damage from borers and beetles (such as Japanese beetle), which can severely weaken the tree. Aphids, scale, spider mites, tent caterpillars and leafhoppers can also be a problem.

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

yeah, I read that. LOL. I have always been told that the tent caterpillars don't hurt the tree. They make a 'web' in the leaves, eat them and that's it. Doesn't hurt the tree