"paleolithic" diet?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by bgjyd834, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Do you check your blood sugar when this happens? Sounds like you may be running it a bit low.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

No, but some sugar always solves the issue...

I suspect a combination of low body fat (I'm under 16% too, for a female, that's pretty extreme) and my high metabolism...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

For most people, I don't think so. I suspect at six hours the average person would get the beginning feelings of sugar lowness, but what I'm talking about is a loss of functionality. I've learned to keep caches around me. The first time I had one of those crashes due to having newly adopted the diet, and not having had eaten anything for around the six hour mark, I was taken by surprise. I was at work talking to a client, telling him how to link his routers, and I kept making stupid mistakes. Then I realized I could barely even have a thought, and that I was freakin' hungry. I made some excuse, got up, had some food, and I was good again.

I suspect your low sugarness has to do with your metabolism though. I would hate to be you during a famine.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Though, I'm sure you'd have no problems with magicking food supplies, even if it involved cannibalism.

Hmm.. Found this.

Could be related to the body not being used to using fat and protein as energy sources.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: We may have had the same grandmother! I would go with her up in the hills of West Virginia to pick "weeds" to make a salad. I remember how good they tasted.

Eating red dirt (Georgia red clay) for example, is called 'pica.' People who are anemic or vitamin-deficient have been known to eat red dirt or dirt with a high content of zinc. It's so much easier to take vitamin supplements.

8. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I suspect that you need to bump the amount of complex carbohydrates in your body to maintain your glycogen reserves. Many of the runners I know pay very close attention to their carb intake for just this purpose. If you are having this problem on an ongoing basis, you should consider strength - building exercise to build muscle tissue and the accompanying intramuscular glycogen storage (will keep your body fat percentage low, but give you additional energy reserves) and make sure to keep enough carbs in your diet to maintain those reserves.

It would not be very funny if you hit one of your lows while piloting a motor vehicle or some such.

I asked about the blood sugar because low blood sugar can be caused by other conditions than merely being skinny. I have a friend who found out he was type 1 ("childhood") diabetic in his 30's. Boy was he surprised when he woke up in the hospital after going down to insulin shock!

I can go maybe 12 - 14 hours before I hit that wall, but I am older, male, athletic and eat a well - balanced diet on a very regular schedule. I also watch my blood sugar like a hawk watching a mouse.

9. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Oh believe me...I already lift weights...I do have a bit more muscle than I used to, but still prone to hypoglycemia..

I always keep some sort of source of sugar on me. After a few severe crashes, one in which I lost the ability to walk normally and almost fainted, I watch out for those and eat something if I'm starting to feel weak.

Yep. I have a ramjet engine for a metabolism. Lol, I can go out in subzero temperatures in a short sleeved shirt and literally not be affected...

10. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

also
    I don't drive. Let's just say my sensory processing sucks...

11. phlogistician Banned Banned

I've had the same,... trying to assemble a new awning, just couldn't work out how to assemble the various poles and corners that came in the bag. Realised I'd not slept well, skipped breakfast and lunch, so ate, had a coffee and 15 minute rest, and looked at it again. Realised instantly we'd been given two sets of one set of poles, and they were completely redundant, and there was no way to fit them in, hence my former confusion.