Over soaping

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Sylvester, Feb 22, 2015.

1. elte Valued Senior Member

Soap leaves a residue that gets to my stomach.

Almost all my friends have died from age-related causes like lung cancer.

Anyway, a computer is a necessity these days.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    Sylvester likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Most folks consider soap a necessity, and cancer isn't "age-related".

I'm done with you.

Truck Captain Stumpy likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Truck Captain Stumpy The Right Honourable Reverend Truck Captain Valued Senior Member

ok. for starters, i realise far more than you think. you can't have any worse living conditions than i do and be telling the truth. So don't give me that pity-party cry-baby post about how i don't understand: i live in a 450 sq foot cabin with limited electricity (solar, wind) and no running water (gravity fed pumped into the house by hand pumps at the kitchen). Gas/Wood heat & outhouse and i put most of my own food on the table myself because i am poor. AND i live remote.

go cry elsewhere on THAT issue

now about your "appeal to authority" claims...
    no, that was an appeal to the SCIENCE
    there was no authority in there other than the health department (US) and that link simply stated the KNOWN SCIENCE
    so again, go cry elsewhere with that sob story
    i don't care if you never talk to me again
    if you continue to post easily refuted anti-science, anti-hygiene BS then i will likely refute it just like i did above

EXCEPT that i am not guessing about ANYTHING you said

you made some claims
    as well as
    these calims are easily refuted with the SCIENCE and links i provided which clearly show that you are not scientifically literate enough to comprehend the dangerous nature of your choice of actions

this is substantiated by your refusal to link any corroborating evidence of your own choices and how they are beneficial, as well as your reaction to being publicly discredited with my links and posts, especially with your fallacious
    rapidly followed by your rabbiting from the discussion because you cannot validate your poor choices or hygiene
    so now we can only come to a couple of possible solutions from that:
    1- you were trolling and got caught, so tried to bluff your way out
    2- you are embarrassed about sharing too much about yourself publicly and being outed as UN-hygienic

i rather think Dr. Toad has hit the NAIL on the HEAD
    or is this some grand conspiracy against you because you are poor like me and living in hardships like mine?
    maybe you should read this study while you are at it?

http://www.plosone.org/article/fetchObject.action?uri=info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0075637&representation=PDF

then rinse it off after washing

irrelevant and OT
    no cause or correlation linkage

soap and food and hgiene are normally considered far higher in the list than a computer, especially given that libraries are FREE and offer computers and internet FREE

now i KNOW you are trolling
    or going for the sympathy vote

Dr_Toad likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

... what in the world does this have to do with anything...?

8. Bells Staff Member

Which is why you use water, to rinse it all off..

I am very sorry for your loss.

Perhaps this is something you should look into, in particular, paying attention to what they did for a living, where they were living, what they were exposed to and if they all smoked or were around smokers. Because it seems rare that almost all of your friends died from age related lung cancer. Unless of course you have only ever had like 2 friends?

That said, this really does not have anything to do with using soap.

That depends.. I know many people who do not have a computer and manage exceptionally well.

They also use soap.. In the form of detergent to wash their dishes. Not to mention soap and/or body washes to wash themselves.

It is called good hygiene.

9. Truck Captain Stumpy The Right Honourable Reverend Truck Captain Valued Senior Member

Ok, now... i am actually in the medical field and my wife/oldest daughter are nurses and i've never heard of an "age related" cancer...
    but just to make sure, i have been googling and "ducking" ( https://duckduckgo.com/ ) to check myself:

now, for the layman:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancer

Now, there IS a correlation between aging and cancer.... the longer you live, the more likely your chances of getting cancer -http://www.newsmax.com/Health/Health-News/cancer-gene-mutations-age/2015/02/26/id/627125/

but the facts of the matter are... it is not the age that causes cancer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancer#Causes
    it only increases the risk

just pointing out some of the science behind cancer

10. elte Valued Senior Member

I was asked if I have any friends, and you misunderstood when I said that most of them died of age-related ailments. That was my best friend who died of lung cancer. He did smoke, and probably had occupational exposure, too. Thanks.

Sylvester likes this.
  11. elte Valued Senior Member

The library won't work for me. Yeah, I need sympathy.

12. elte Valued Senior Member

He asked and I gave him an honest answer, which he disrespected.

13. elte Valued Senior Member

Age correlation is what I meant by age-related.

14. elte Valued Senior Member

I leave the thread to you all now. I've said my piece. I only have to do what works for me. You all do what you think is best for yourselves.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    Sylvester likes this.
  15. Truck Captain Stumpy The Right Honourable Reverend Truck Captain Valued Senior Member

I would like to point out that Kittamaru & Bells have excellent answers
    One other point i would like to specifically address, however:
    First things first: every time you flush you stir the air and you can spread fecal matter up to a couple feet away from your toilet so ALWAYS keep the lid closed when flushing
    some interesting articles to read: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/01/02/flushing-can-spread-diarrhea-disease/
    http://www.healthiertalk.com/exposed-toothbrushes-risk-contamination-flushed-toilets-3474

secondly: when dealing with bathrooms and kitchens, bacteria (etc) can live long terms of life in small places
    -like sponges or rags used to clean up-

Soap is one method used to mitigate the problem with bacteria and the spread of crap-o-la all around, but it is not the only thing
    like it is pointed out, it is an emulsifier, it helps clean the food and grease off dishes...etc
    that also means that it is removing the better living environments for bacteria and disease

food and dirty environments are perfect areas for bacteria and disease to propagate and thrive
    removing that environment is the primary purpose of soap

you don't have to use a bottle per cleaning job, but i would recommend it's use

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  16. Bells Staff Member

Mod Note

We may not agree with elte's personal habits, but they are his own and he is not demanding or foisting it on anyone in this thread.

If he finds himself happy and leading a healthy lifestyle as he is, then that is his choice. None of us are forced to eat at his house, or use his cooking utensils.

It does not mean that his posts are report worthy because he chooses to not follow the advice given. Nor does it mean his answering the comments and questions posed to him, and sometimes asked rudely in a very personal way, is tantamount to trolling or baiting.

If we cannot conduct ourselves in a reasonable fashion, then I will close this thread.

17. Sylvester Registered Senior Member

Man...this is the smartest forum i've ever seen. All my questions have been somewhat answered. And lets face it, can all our questions truly be answered?

18. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I can't answer that.

19. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Conceptually, perhaps, but very very unlikely - Probably eating food with dirty hands is much more likely to cause botulism. Botulism is almost always result of poor canning practices or dirt contaminated puncture wounds where O2 is low. The oxygen in air, hot over the stove, kills botulism:
    The Center for Disease Control should know.

elte likes this.
  20. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Funny, but sure you can. -No one said your answer had to be correct or even make sense. There are many such answers posted in Sciforum's threads.

21. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

You need to look deeper BillyT. By saying I could not answer the question, I answered it. If I only made posts that are to be read at a single level I would get bored very quickly.

22. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Perhaps, but that is the same logic as this:
    This statement is false.

At what "level" - point in the endless logic cycle - do you exit?

23. Truck Captain Stumpy The Right Honourable Reverend Truck Captain Valued Senior Member

Billy T
    Yep, the CDC and NIH is where you can get a lot of the info from. Good sites for info

Conceptually is how i was addressing it... with a caveat: if hygiene is not followed and washing is not a regular occurrence, especially in the kitchen or bathroom, then the chances of cross contamination grow almost exponentially (for many types of bacteria, fungus, viruses, etc). Especially when food and warmth get into the mix.
    (to really drive this point home, buy a black light and go 24hrs without washing- just a single day. Then, at night in a [very] dark environment, examine your body. Moist parts should fluoresce slightly because a common fungus tinea, is fairly common and widespread and you are very likely to get it through various means. Many also fluoresce under a black light. This is not to say all of what does fluoresce is tinea, but the odds are decent you will see some fluorescence under the light from various sources, normally biological in nature, which is really my point. Also do the same test with typical hygiene practices and notice the differences.)

Forensically speaking, the less you wash, the more likely you are to be exposed to a wide array of germs, microbes, bacteria, viruses and more. That part is not really debatable... it happens all the time. Common knowledge, right?
    now include food, dirty utensils and you get habitat with food source. Add warm and you get perfect conditions - conditions that can support their growth (by warm, i mean room temp or warming the food without having a high enough temp for long enough to kill the Botulism)

Considering this is how some of the home canning practices get contaminated (the most common source of Botulism), it is not as far fetched as it seems when you take poor hygiene practices and mix them with food and warmth, then throw in long periods of time for exposure, cross contamination or breeding and the odds really start to suck.