Over soaping

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Sylvester, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Sylvester Registered Senior Member

What do you think about "over-soaping"?

Recently, i found that there is little need to use soap for washing dishes.

Say if you live alone and even as an example you were to share a toilet with you dish washing area why would you need soap?

My understanding is the simple act of rubbing is enough to kill bacteria.

This is also much more environmentally conscious and really is there even a need for soap? Sure you may invite steange people over who may harbor diseases THEN you need soap.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Well it isn't soap that kills the germs but very hot water. The hotter the better.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sylvester Registered Senior Member

So say if you did not want to use very hot water and eve used cold water. Wouldn't the friction from the rubbing kill the bacteria? And after the bacteria were to expire al that is left is really aesthetics. I am trying to decide if soap is even necessary.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. zgmc Registered Senior Member

Water and friction doesn't seem to get grease or oil off of dishes... I'm sure you can limit your use of soap and be just fine.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Rubbing doesn't kill bacteria but heat over 130 degrees does.

9. Sylvester Registered Senior Member

I already limit my soap. What I am asking is if i can E-L-IM-I-N-A-TE it. As in...ERADICATE it.

10. zgmc Registered Senior Member

Why do you want to eradicate your soap usage?

11. Sylvester Registered Senior Member

Nothing to do with what i want. Keep going and reveal yourself as TROLL.

12. Bells Staff Member

Hot water alone will not remove the slime left behind by oils and any fat left on dishes. In short, dishwashing soap/powders/liquids are used to get the dishes clean.

Your toilet is in your kitchen? And you are wondering why soap would be necessary in such an instance?

That depends on what you use.

Usually you would use a dishwashing soap of some kind and hot water. That said, the bacteria will tend to grow on any food remains left on the dishes and things like wooden chopping boards or wooden knife handles, which require a good scrub with a dishwashing liquid or soap of some kind and boiling water to get it clean so that bacteria does not grow.

If you like being clean, you will need soap. Water alone is not always enough. Even people who live in huts use soap and some who do not have access to soap, resort to using plants that act like soap to remain clean and to wash their cookware.

Most dishwashing soaps, for example, are biodegradable in that they break down easily and are not harmful to the environment. Or you can find the plants that are like soaps when rubbed and interact with water for the same effect naturally and without damaging the environment.

Truck Captain Stumpy likes this.
  13. TBodillia Registered Senior Member

Soap is an emulsifying agent. Soap doesn't kill germs. Soap allows the water to grab all the grime on your body, dishes and wash the grime with the germs down the drain.

Scrubbing to kill bacteria? Friction killing bacteria? Are you serious? Don't you have any idea how small bacteria are? Bacteria thrive in sponges & washcloths.

14. zgmc Registered Senior Member

What are you talking about? If it isn't you that wants to eliminate soap, then what is the reason?

15. billvon Valued Senior Member

You need it to get rid of grease.
    For what? For your hands? Because you may infect someone outside your house if you leave feces on your hands. If you never leave your house then it might not be an issue.
    Nope. Rubbing doesn't really do much of anything.

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Sylvester - try washing your dishes for a month without soap, then run your fingers over the top of them. You will likely feel a residue.

Now, wash them with a good dish soap, and try it again - you should notice they are "squeaky clean".

Truck Captain Stumpy likes this.
  17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's not the soap exactly, it's the water that washes bacteria off. The soap destroys surface tension and allows the water to wash things off surfaces. Rubbing doesn't kill shit.

18. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Were you trying to be punny?

19. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

So Proctor & Gamble, etc. will tell you, but why? Did you not just eat 100 times more of it than is in the film left on the plain water and hand washed plate? I don't think soap is too harmful, although we did not evolve with it. What most concerns me is detergents. - They greatly lower surface tension, even small amounts. That has the potential of really messing up some biological processes, I think.

Soon after eating, I take just used dishes to sink wipe off all food I can see with running water and hand or commercial "two sided" rectangular sponge and then place in rack to dry. I would much rather eat a tiny film of dried food, than detergent film and have done this for decades.

Also closely related is fact that solar Vitamin D is created only in the extreme outer layers of the skin - UV making it does not get to the inner layers, but in a day or so if you don't use soap, it will diffuse there. Half my showers are just a soapless scrub - man did not evolve with all this hygene. It ain't natural and probably not good for you. A tiny does, a few dozen germs are probably beneficial aid to vigorous immune system. I don't recommend licking every door knob, but more natural living.

I try to avoid doctors when have simple illness, but at my age do get regular health tests. My dad was an MD and liked to say: "He was in partnership with mother nature. - "She cured most of his patients and he sent out the bills." Don't let a fever get too high, say not up to 102F but your body is smarter than all the doctors combined. Let it cure you if it can. There is good reason to avoid hospitals too:
    In the last 50 or so years, I have had one infection that my body did not cure in four days or less, with only bed rest an plenty of water or OJ drunk. I did get a shot of antibiotics early on the fifth day. Some germs have evolved well too - know how to use your body to breed many more, despite an efficient and active immune system.

I'm not giving medical advice - just telling what works for me and why I think it does so.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2015
  20. elte Valued Senior Member

I just reuse the same utensils over and over and don't do much washing. I don't have anyone else here that could be bothered by not having washed utensils.

21. billvon Valued Senior Member

?? No. Soap is water soluble. Thus rinsing the plate removes it.

22. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

No, he is saying why bother trying to remove all the grease since you have eaten much more of it.

BillyT - the issue is that the bacteria will thrive on that thin coating and you will ingest them the next time you use the plate. Am I really having to explain this to you?!!

23. billvon Valued Senior Member

Ah, I see.