"our Best And Brightest"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by paucorumhominum, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

dixonmassey

The liberals do it all the time.

La Shawn Barber’s Corner » Hillary Fakes Southern Accent At Black ...
    The issue is that Hillary affected a bad southern drawl in a black churches (sic), not which song she may or may not have been quoting. I can’t speak for ...
    http://lashawnbarber.com/archives/2007/03/05/hillary-fakes-southern-accent-at-black-church/

Why Does Hillary Clinton Always Have A Southern Accent When She ...
    First it was this god-awful drawl in front of a black church in Selma, ... I ask again, when Hillary speaks in front of gay groups is she going to affect a ...
    http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/why_does_hillary_clinton_always_have_a_southern_accent_when_

Digg - Candorville cartoon on Hillary Clinton & the Black Church ...
    Candorville cartoon on Hillary Clinton & the Black Church, part 3 ... And should we pretend not to notice that when Hillary Clinton speaks in the South, ...
    http://www.digg.com/political_opinion/Candorville_cartoon_on_Hillary_Clinton_the_Black_Church_part

WorldNetDaily: Gore's loose marbles
    Gore is also a man of multiple personalities, a sure sign of pathology. When he spoke at a black church he assumed the personality of a black preacher, ...
    http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=12838

the view from jersey
    He pointed out, in his speech in Newark, how duplicitous it is of Gore to show up in urban Black churches for photo ops while at the same time Gore says ...
    http://www.constantreader.org/view27.html

Jet: Rallying For Black Support - Vice President Al Gore speaks at ...
    Full text of the article, 'Rallying For Black Support - Vice President Al Gore speaks at Mason Temple Church of God - Brief Article' from Jet, a publication ...
    http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_26_96/ai_58342826

Fiedor Report On the News
    Apparently they were upset about all the news photographs of Bill Clinton and Al Gore attending Black churches just for the photo-ops. ...
    http://www.uhuh.com/reports/headsup/fron206.htm

Barack "Al Gore/Kerry" Obama | Sarasota Speaks
    Barack "Al Gore/Kerry" Obama. By Eddie huff Posted Thursday, March 8, ... has ever graced a black church hand fan, or the walls of black homes for decades. ...
    http://www.sarasotaspeaks.com/node/8558

Salon.com Politics | Black like Al?
    I am a black American and I have watched Gore speak before black audiences on several different occasions. I thought I was the only one to notice Gore's ...
    http://www.salon.com/politics/feature/2000/07/18/al_gore

Cross » 2004 » September
    If the IRS is willing to poke around at political black churches, it must find a ... Al Gore speaks a bit about faith in politics in this New Yorker piece, ...
    http://fortt.com/cross/?m=200409&paged=2

Jesse Jackson News - The New York Times
    William Safire Op-Ed column suggests that Jesse Jackson and other black leaders ... photo; Mayor Willie Brown suggests Al Gore visit black church every ...
    http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/j/jesse_l_jackson/index.html?offset=75&

Online NewsHour: One-On-One- October 30, 2000
    I was incensed to find Mr. Clinton and Gore going to the black church ... Mr. Bush says he is for... for access, and his record in Texas speaks to that. ...
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/politics/july-dec00/one-on-one_10-30.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. broadandbeaver 'Now I am become Death Registered Senior Member

Here's a silly question. Why would the UN need anyone to sell candy bars? Does it make any sense that the UN has college students selling anything? Must have been a scam. Had to be. Which of course would make them conservatives.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

broadandbeaver,

Greed?, I remember the UNICEF, The United Nations Children's Fund, campaigns in the 60tys, the kiddies were sent out to beg money from the public at large, and then send it to the U.N.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. broadandbeaver 'Now I am become Death Registered Senior Member

Yes, the kiddies. As I was born in the 60's I don't remember that. Why would college kids be selling candy for the UN? Greed? Scam?

8. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

broadandbeaver, With age comes wisdom, hard earned from life.

9. John99 Banned Banned

oh yeah, the boy scouts scare you?

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

paucorumhominum,
    How many kids did you vaccinate in the last two years? How many wars did you stop? Arrogant schmuck. At least they are doing something. They may not be graduate students in political science, but they don't go around feeling superior for hating a valuable international institution.

11. Sgt_Fury Registered Senior Member

A valuable international institution that is mostly made up by representatives of nations without any respect for rule of law, or political representation of their peoples....the majority of members are in fact dictatorships, and warlord controlled nations......it's as simple as that as to why the UN can not help or solve the problems in the world.

Why don't we get a panel of Columbian drug cartel to work on the problems with drugs?

Or perhaps we could get a pannel of members of nambla to work on helping to end child exploitation......

Wake up to the reailty of corruption that IS the UN.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You negotiate with the nations you have, not the nations you would wish to exist.

13. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

spidergoat

And this reply makes sense? What is your point?

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The objection to the UN seems to rest on the fact that it doesn't constitute a Unified World Government with it's own army. I assert that it was never meant to be such. It's a meeting of many nations with diverse and often contradictory interests. As such, it serves it's purpose wonderfully.

15. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

spidergoat

The objection is that it is a corrupt, ineffective organization, and those that don't want the U.N. to have a independent military force, could you see the explosion of corruption from the U.N. if it could back it demands with its own forces?

Thank God.

How? What has it really ever done?

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It only reflects it's constituents, there is nothing about the nature of a UN (or Democracy itself), that is inherently corrupt.

What have they accomplished?
    The World Health Organization (a UN agency) eliminated smallpox.

United Nations Children's Fund (or UNICEF, a UN agency), helps children all over the world, reports on issues, and fights disease and abuse.

UN peacekeepers are sent to various regions where armed conflict has recently ceased, or temporarily frozen, in order to enforce the terms of peace agreements and to discourage the combatants from resuming hostilities, for example in East Timor until its independence in 2001.

It established the World Bank / International Monetary Fund.

On 9 March 2006, Secretary-General Kofi Annan launched the Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) for those in the Horn of Africa threatened with starvation.

In 1993, in response to "ethnic cleansing" in the former Yugoslavia, the UN Security Council established the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia. In 1994, in response to the Rwandan genocide, the council established the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda.

In 2002, the UN established the Special Court for Sierra Leone in response to the atrocities committed during the Sierra Leone Civil War.

The Human Security Report 2005,[33] produced by the Human Security Centre at the University of British Columbia with support from several governments and foundations, documented a dramatic, but largely unrecognized, decline in the number of wars, genocides and human rights abuses since the end of the Cold War. Statistics include:

A 40% drop in violent conflict.
    An 80% drop in the most deadly conflicts.
    An 80% drop in genocide and politicide.

The Report singles out several specific investments that have paid off:[34]

A sixfold increase in the number of UN missions mounted to prevent wars, from 1990 to 2002.
    A fourfold increase in efforts to stop existing conflicts, from 1990 to 2002.
    A sevenfold increase in the number of ‘Friends of the Secretary-General’, ‘Contact Groups’ and other government-initiated mechanisms to support peacemaking and peacebuilding missions, from 1990 to 2003.
    An elevenfold increase in the number of economic sanctions against regimes around the world, from 1989 to 2001.
    A fourfold increase in the number of UN peacekeeping operations, from 1987 to 1999.

-those are just a few of the UN's accomplishments
    -------------------------

It's true that the UN has been ineffective in certain areas, but that is no reason to scrap what is basically a good idea.

17. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

spidergoat

And still totally ineffective and corrupt, so we should keep it alive?

And why is their a fourfold-sixfold-sevenfold-elevenfold-increase in these missions? could it be that there is a 4-6-7-11 fold increase in those problems?, I wouldn't call that a accomplishment, so what has the U.N. done to stop those increases? And you still want to keep it running?

18. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

spidergoat
    Yes the U.N. really cut down on the Genocides?

Mao Ze-Dong (China, 1958-61 and 1966-69) 49,000,000 ("great leap forward" and "cultural revolution")

Pol Pot (Cambodia, 1975-79) 1,700,000

Kim Il Sung (North Korea, 1948-94) 1.6 million (purges and concentration camps)

Menghistu (Ethiopia, 1975-78) 1,500,000

Yakubu Gowon (Biafra, 1967-1970) 1,000,000

Leonid Brezhnev (Afghanistan, 1979-1982) 900,000

Jean Kambanda (Rwanda, 1994) 800,000

Suharto (East Timor, West Papua, Communists, 1966-98) 800,000

Saddam Hussein (Iran 1980-1990 and Kurdistan 1987-88) 600,000

Yahya Khan (Pakistan, 1971) vs Bangladesh 500,000

Savimbi (Angola, 1975-2002) 400,000

Mullah Omar - Taliban (Afghanistan, 1986-2001) 400,000

Idi Amin (Uganda, 1969-1979) 300,000

Yahya Khan (Bangladesh, 1970-1971) 300,000

Mobutu Sese Seko (Zaire, 1965-97) ?

Charles Taylor (Liberia, 1989-1996) 220,000

Foday Sankoh (Sierra Leone, 1991-2000) 200,000

Slobodan Milosevic (Yugoslavia, 1992-96) 180,000

Michel Micombero (Burundi, 1972) 150,000

Hassan Turabi (Sudan, 1989-1999) 100,000

Jean-Bedel Bokassa (Centrafrica, 1966-79) ?

Efrain Rios Montt (Guatemala, 1982-83) 70,000

Papa Doc Duvalier (Haiti, 1957-71) 60,000

Hissene Habre (Chad, 1982-1990) 40,000

19. Roman Banned Banned

So... is that a concession then?

You have terrible reading comprehension. His statement implied that if he physically threatened boyscouts or a church group for holding a belief different than his own, as you physically threatened some college kids, he would be accused of a hate crime.

You are so dumb.

Hmm, maybe I should go punch out girl scouts when they come by on their next church fund raiser. I hate methodists.

Not really. All soldiers share one thing in common: their profession's sole purpose is to kill. Teachers teach. Soldiers kill. When a teacher fails at his profession, he teaches the wrong information, or fails to teach. When a soldier fails, he shoots the wrong person or misses.

See the difference?

I take it your daughter goes to an all girls school with only female teachers?
    Sounds oddly... Saudi.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's a basically sound idea. If the constituents are fucked, well times change. Having this institution to help settle disputes is better than having none, and no tradition of civility. If you cut off this basic cooperation, will the world get better, or worse?

21. iceaura Valued Senior Member

I went through the list and marked the ones that I happen to know (no mark means no knowledge, not inapplicability) illustrate a major problem the UN has in interfering with genocides: the major military power on the planet during the entire existence of the UN has enormous influence over UN behavior, to the point of having veto over UN interventions, to the point that its level (and kind) of support for UN ventures often determines their success.

To stop Montt in Guatemala, for example, the UN would have had to have forcibly - at gunpoint - banished US forces and influences from the country. The UN was - is- not strong enough. The lack of support from the US, the undermining of UN initiatives by the US, is a major cause of UN ineffectiveness; where it has been ineffective.

Which is not everywhere. The disarming of Saddam, sadly moot now, was not the only accomplishment of UN forces. One problem with UN successes is that they are almost by definition invisible to casual view: they are wars not fought, children not dead, epidemics never happening, etc. The rewards of sane, adult governance.

22. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

iceaura

Wasn't pointing out what ever you think that you have, I was pointing out that even by U.N. standard, and those standards are dubious, as the make up of the commities that wrote them up, there is a lot of Genocide going on around the world, and the U.N. hasn't done a thing to slow them down, The U.N. as a idea is just great, but in action it fails due to the fact that most of the countries are run buy thugs and dictators, hereditary royal families, that have their own interest first last and always, not their peoples, not their neighbors, not their enemies, if the U.N. was worth a pimple on the worlds ass, it would cut the Palestinian authority off at the knees, no more money, that no mater what it is intended for, is used by the Palestinian Authority to buy weapons to attack the Israelis with, or skimmed off into their own bank accounts. Remember the U.N. established Israel on 1947, and hasn't settled the problem yet. Now what else has the U.N. ever done? to stop wars? the only time a war has stopped was because the combatants decided to do so, take a break until they were ready to resume the fighting, and U.N. peace keeper didn't do a thing to prevent it.

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

So, the problem isn't the UN, the problem is those nations that refuse to cooperate with the international community. How much worse would it be if there were no such community.