Ouija

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Rantaak, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Rantaak Registered Senior Member

Does anyone know how a Ouija board works? Subsoncsious muscle movement? Camera tricks?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. leopold Valued Senior Member

muscle movement.
    the oracle will not move unless someone touches it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sgal Principessa Registered Senior Member

Spirits and ghosts supposedly control the Ouija board, but I read that it attracts bad energy so its not a good idea to use one.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I think that a lot of those spirits feel like too many people are crank-calling them.

8. Sgal Principessa Registered Senior Member

Or one way for bad energy to get to people is when they are being channeled so using it makes it easier for them to get in contact.

9. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Ouija Board....

Would you work for me?

I have got to say hello, to an old friend.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Murderous intentions, I'm not sure.

10. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

What happens if it DOES move, but no one's touching it?

People move, single file, out of the room?

A woman screams?

11. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

I grew up with ouija boards. We were never without one. They are pressed particle board, paper, felt, ink and plastic. They don't attract anything but a) the bored, b) the stoned, or c) the gullible desperate. When I was a kid, we fell into category A. When I got older, I fell into category B. I suppose when I'm old and grey, I'll fall into category C.

The planchette moves by light touch. When we used ours, the knees of the operators had to be touching, an awkward position which keeps the body off balance just enough that you won't be able to hold your arms elevated and still for very long. If the surface of the board is kept clean, there will be minimal resistance from the felt on the planchette. The slightest twitch will send it moving. From there it's a matter of the operator's subconscious moving it to form coherent messages.

I noticed, during my lifetime of watching this thing, that the board worked best when one person was somehow fairly submissive to the other, personality-wise. The dominant person essentially controlled the planchette while the submissive person just went along for the ride. When two dominant or two submissive personalites got on the board, it made for "bad conductors", as my family called it. The messages, I noticed, always followed the beliefs of the dominant operator. I believed this to be, as I said, subconscious manipulation rather than any intentional manipulation, based on my personal knowledge of the people at the board.

My family holds reincarnation as one of our beliefs. We would often use the board to learn of past lives. As I got older and more critical of my world, I rooted through our old notes and found so many inconsistencies in the messages as to discount them altogether as whimsical creations of the operators. My belief in reincarnation persists, however based on two things; events and incidents in other areas of my life, and because I find it an interesting and comforting thing. If it was proved one way or the other tomorrow, however, it wouldn't shake my world up.

12. ghost_footsteps Registered Member

It's interesting Oxygen mentioned that the positions people have usually keep them unbalanced. I never thought about that. I've done Ouija once. It was fun with the right company. I never took it any more serious than throwing a penny in a fountain and making a wish. I guess it depends what you expect from it. If you don't take it seriously, and you're friends are particularly funny, enjoy

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Rantaak Registered Senior Member

Thank you very much. I will use this information well.

14. Creator_ Registered Member

It's allot slower and more complex for a being to guide your muscles towards single letters, compared to a being giving you direct telepathic or empathic information, because guiding a muscle towards a letter IS TELEPATHY ALREADY, but it is a slow, slow method of communication.

15. Roman Banned Banned

If the symbols on the Ouija board are randomized and the particpants blindfolded, it spells out, surprise, random letters.

16. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

I remember seeing an experiment on "Bullshit!" where they did that.

During my years with the ouija I will admit there have been some odd incidents, but nothing that can't be attributed to natural, albeit unusual, phenomena.