Osama Bin Laden is Dead

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SciWriter, May 2, 2011.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Where's the death certificate?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I am not sure what the Tea Party is all about. I know they claim to be fiscal hawks. But these are the same people that slept through "deficits don't matter Cheney" and were perfectly content as Republicans who controlled government for the first 8 years of the last decade, more than doubled the national debt; added trillions to the defiicits; and ran the economy into the ground.

This victory will make it more difficult for the right wing, including Tea Partiers, to paint Obama as a non American as they have tried to do these last few years. I expect that Obama will now surge in the popularity polls and I think that will make Republicans think twice about attacking him as they have been since he was elected. He has done something they have not been able to do, kill Bin Ladin.

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

I think they should have just left the body in an open coffin in front of some Irish bar like the did with Morgan Freeman in 'Unforgiven'. Stick a feather in his cap and call it macaroni.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

According to your reference, the Libyian war could cost between 400 and 800million. I don't know what the marginal cost of the war will eventually be. But a substantial amount of our military costs are fixed. They are there wither we invade or not.

And I think you are missing the point. The point is we have an opportunity to take out an untrustworthy leader who has bombed an American civilian airliner killing hundreds of Americans and killed unarmed American servicemen in Germany.

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  8. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I think they should have stuffed in in a freezer in Quantico, VA. for a few years and then toss him overboard.

9. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

What i dont understand is why they had to bury him in the sea so quick, within24 hours.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

So America just sends in its fighters and starts a war, which you say Clinton couldn't do with Afghanistan back in 1996 when he knew where Bin Laden was located. So just what the hell are we doing in Libya, Since those rebels aren't going to be loyal to America once they overthrow Gaddaffi. Then America finds out that they are actually helping those rebels that just a few years ago were killing Americans in Iraq! While I agree that Gadaffi should be removed are those that take control going to be an improvement over what he is or only going to use that oil money to further the actions of the Islamic Brotherhood? Gadaffi has been quiet for almost 15 years now and all of a sudden we need to get rid of him, what's really going on there? :shrug:

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Also they had to fly his body over 1000 miles to do so! They could have buried him there.

12. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

My guess is they didn't want the body to become the object of a hostage exchange or something similar.

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

They could have hidden it so that they only knew where it was buried.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

really why so far? why did they fly his body so far just to chuck him inthe sea within 24hours
    why so quick it doesnt make sense!

LOL

who would negotiate with the US govt on an exchange for binlids body. Surely most people would know that binlids body is un-negotiatable

15. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Interesting opinion piece from Al Jazeera on the death of Bin Laden:

What now?

...the physical death of bin Laden will no doubt lead to a serious psychological and inspirational setback for al-Qaeda fighters and their causes.
    But for the Muslim world, bin Laden has already been made irrelevant by the Arab Spring that underlined the meaning of peoples power through peaceful means.
    It is also worth recalling that bin Laden's al-Qaeda and its affiliates have killed far more Arabs and Muslims than they did Westerners. And it was only after they failed to garner real support in the Arab world that they ran back to Afghanistan and began to target the West. After long hijacking Arab and Muslim causes through its bloody attacks on Western targets, al-Qaeda has been discredited since 9/11 and its organisational capacity diminished by Western counter terror measures. Al-Qaeda's bin Laden has provided the Bush administration with the excuse to launch its disastrous and costly wars in the greater Middle East. As expected, Washington's wars in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan continued to provide al-Qaeda with fresh recruits and support in the Muslim world and perpetuate a cycle of violence that ripped through the region for the last decade. However, it has been the more implicit and less costly US and Western intelligence services that succeeded to a large degree in curtailing al-Qaeda activities, limiting the movement of its leaders that eventually led to his killing.

So what will this mean for the US war in Afghanistan and Pakistan? Certainly Washington has less reason or justification to wage a war in Afghanistan now that bin Laden is no more.
    It might also find more readiness among certain Taliban leaders in the absence of the thorniest issue of al-Qaeda, to make a deal that insures a power sharing arrangement in favour of the Taliban in return for curbing the use of Afghanistan by al-Qaeda to export "terrorism". Bin Laden will continue to be a distraction for the short term, and especially if some of al-Qaeda groups muster revenge attacks.

But in the long term, it is the historical transformations in the Arab and Muslim world that will eventually close the book on al-Qaeda.

http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/opinion/2011/05/20115282016417366.html#disqus_thread

16. milkweed Valued Senior Member

I see, still claiming he was a muslim... At least most christians distance themselves from killers claiming to be doing it for god (hes not a real christian).

17. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

thank you for posting this Lucy

18. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

its all very strange i dont undertsand why he was buried so quickly. The sea bit i can actually follow the logic but the speed of his burial i can not!!

19. milkweed Valued Senior Member

They have pictures, and tissue/blood for dna. Now there is no dispute over who gets the body, no burial ground for a shrine, no court injunction over who gets the body.

Of course, there remains a chance the body is not buried and is still in possession.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Isn't it according to Muslim tradition?

21. Bells Staff Member

He had to be buried within 24 hours according to his religious customs.

No country would have wanted his body to be buried on their soil as it could potentially become a shrine to extremists. The Saudis, it seems, refused to take his body back for burial. And one could possibly understand why they did refuse to take his body back:

On the streets of Saudi Arabia, bin Laden's native land which stripped him of his citizenship after September 11, there was a mood of disbelief and sorrow among many.

"I feel that it is a lie," said one Saudi in Riyadh. He did not want to be named. "I don't trust the U.S. government or the media. They just want to be done with his story. It would be a sad thing if he really did die. I love him and in my eyes he is a hero and a jihadist."

And the fan boy is not alone.

22. Pinwheel Banned Banned

What are they going to compare his DNA to? Do they have a copy of his DNA from an earlier time or something?

23. Bells Staff Member

Umm... He would have had to be buried within 24 hours as per his religious customs and beliefs.

The point of contention for some Muslims is not the speed, but that he was buried at sea.