Osama Bin Laden is Dead

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SciWriter, May 2, 2011.

1. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Not to take away from anything else you've said, but I'd have to think there should be some leniency on this definition. They say Mexico is part of Latin America, yet technically it's part of North America, separate from the rest.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Near a military base, they say, and the reports are claiming that whatever the original intent was, Bin Laden was given a chance to surrender and refused.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Saddam didn't have to. Saddam wasn't outside of his own nation state running with a bounty on his head. Bin Laden could have shat himself but if he went to all the trouble of being off the grid electronically there is no point in him keeping sensitive information in his midst, especially if he isn't needed to actually master mind and carry out every individual operation. What they do know is for every cell there is a limit to what people know and with whom they have contact. I'm sure he didn't keep little books with names and lists of all his central commanders. I mean he's not an idiot, he didn't remain below radar for as long as he did being sloppy.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah Abootabad is a military town with one of the largest Pakistani military bases. Its also a Hazara town although it falls within the Pakhtun province. i.e. Shia territory

Its named after Major James Abbott who was the first deputy commissioner with the Hazara division there.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Abbott_(British_army_officer)

8. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

I don't know. I think his FBI most wanted profile would list all those details. He wasn't already inside a military base his compound was in a residential suburban garrison town which is near a military base and school I believe.

9. CptBork Valued Senior Member

In this case, "under the radar" means right across the street from a Pakistani military base. :roflmao:

Some of the antics that nation pulls remind me of a Canadian show called Trailer Park Boys, where these dumb petty criminals are always cooking up stupid schemes to steal petty sums and always thinking they'll evade the bumbling cops (they usually do, but pretty much every season ends with them being tossed in the slammer for yet another stay).

I think there's quite a lot more to the story than what's been told to the public so far. On ABC news they're claiming Pakistan scrambled fighter jets with the possible aim of shooting those US helicopters down, on their return trip after snatching OBL's carcass.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hmm wasn't Anbar where Bush did a photo op with his fake sheikh also a Shia province? It seems that all the Shia provinces are breeding grounds for Osama slash al Qaeda hideouts.

11. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

You never heard the term 'hiding in plain sight'?

12. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

I don't know. I really don't know the story behind Bush and the sheikh.

13. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Is that a trick question?

He fought back?

While DNSA Brennan could not tell reporters specifically if Osama bin Laden got off a shot, or how many shots he might have fired, we've known for at least ten hours of the assertion that bin Laden allegedly refused surrender.

You're already under fire, your suspect isn't coming out peacefully; things are probably going to end badly for someone, at least.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

God, the sympathizers are losing their minds today.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No problem - I'm trying to figure out the cui bono here.

So if they couldn't tell if he was shooting how did they know he refused to surrender? Or that he fought back?

Wow, was there candy being distributed?

16. CptBork Valued Senior Member

In that case, OBL should have bought a fake ID and gone to live in the US. Maybe he was so dedicated, he simply refused to shave at all costs- I'm curious to see if he has a beard in his death photos. Still, I think it's extremely suspicious that the US had to send its own troops in to do this job, that they've been pretty quiet about what should have been extensive Pakistani assistance, and I think the US is deliberately allowing these kinds of suspicions to grow.

I think the message is: "Check. Your move, Pakistan."

17. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Well the only gain is for the American or western psyche. His capture is along the lines of holding the head of Leonidas. Capturing Pablo Escobar didn't stop cocaine cartels but it sure felt good if you were a member of the Colombian government, military and police whom he thumbed his nose at.

18. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Another note on Pakistan: the reports from the US are saying this operation was started months in advance, they even constructed a whole mockup of the compound so the Navy SEALs could practice last month. He didn't just show up there for a weekend visit. Yet if Pakistan knew about it and was playing a helpful role, they sure took their sweet time doing nothing.

19. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

And who should they have counted on? The Pakistani army who were afraid to muddy themselves in the matter and whom were not trusted from the get go? I wouldn't have trusted the Pakistani's to do something like this.

20. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I don't know where you get the lured part. He was living there. We found him.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Seems very stupid to me. They had him cornered and they couldn't wait him out? Haven't they seen Dog Day Afternoon? Even our defenceless unarmed cops were better than that.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yes! Bacon Lollipops.

23. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

It has been reported that the woman who was killed was Bin Ladin's yougest wife. She was being used as a shield by Bin Ladin.