Organoid Mini brains inside rat bodies

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Brainshock, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Brainshock Registered Member

Hello Everyone at SciForums. My name is Jay and I have been working on a simple videos that talk about new internet discoveries. Most of them are science or technology based since that is what grabs my attention. These videos are meant for me to get better at video editing while forcing myself to learn about different science topics.

This week's episode was about Organoid minibrains inside rat bodies, scientists editing single letters of DNA code, and a headset made from MIT that lets you google your own thoughts.

I am up for criticism so if anyone has any suggestions for me on my editing or information, please let me know.

Thanks for seeing my first on thread on here and I hope to post much more!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Welcome to sciforums, Brainshock (Jay).

It's good that you want to publicise new science. I watched the video, and I can give you my own impression.

I found that on topics that I am not very familiar with, the video moved too fast for me in places, and there was a bit too much unexplained jargon. It depends, I guess, on who your intended audience is. If it's the general public, then you really need to take a moment to explain what an "SNP" is, before you start dropping that term into every second sentence. On the other hand, if this is News for Geneticists, then it's probably not such a big problem.

I didn't catch why organoid minibrains are being implanted into rats, or what they are. If that as in there, I missed it. The focus there seemed to be on the ethics of doing that research, but you didn't really explain how the ethical issue arises in the first place.

Regarding the headset thing, I would have liked to know more about what kinds of things are possible with it in its current state of development. I was interested to see what looked like a guy directing a cursor/selection control on a screen, but there was no explanation about that. You mentioned that it could help people to communicate. My question is: can you type words with it, or use some kind of selection method (a bit like Stephen Hawking's software used)?

Finally, a technical point: I had to crank up the volume on my laptop almost to maximum to be able to hear your voice clearly. I'd suggest increasing the volume level on the recording, and/or maybe using a better microphone.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Brainshock Registered Member

Thank you very much for the awesome feedback on this. I truly appreciate this and will work on these specific issues in my next upcoming videos. (unfortionately I just finished the next episode but I am currently working on many more videos and this will surely help me in pulling an audience's attention.

I will try to be a little slower and explain things throughly more. I assuming people have more knowledge than me a lot of times so I tend to skip to things that I feel are the bigger point of what I found out of the data. However, that is unfair to others and I will work to ensure the scripting is better versed for understanding.

I will also increase the master audio when I level the audio tracks to have a higher sound.

Thanks again and I hope to post many more science topics in the future with better fundamental understanding.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.