Optics

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by RainbowSingularity, Jan 12, 2019.

1. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

whats that about ?

perception of materialism ?

assumed moral authority of material personality ?

subjective deportment of interpreted observer effect in the function of absolute ideological fascist Ego self positioning as an interactive model of personality ?

anyone have any thoughts on what "optics" means to the modern socially interactive psyche ?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Well I possess a socially interactive psyche, though not perhaps a fully modern one, and as far as I am concerned optics is a topic within physics.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

My take on the word in
    conversation

Fred took holiday alone for 2 weeks when his wife was about to go into labour
    Not a good optic

ie not a good look
    doesn't look good

Open to any other interpretations

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Optics is s subset of physics.

Context is everything.

8. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

when used, it is the assertion of the 3rd persons moral judgement as a form of normative social function ?

placing yourself as the experiencer, hearing/experiencing it being said,
    does it contain any new or different data or different level of implied force to the nature of implied energy of specific meaning ?

is it simply a colloquialism or is there also a new meaning with the word ?

e.g

"he was beating his wife at the local pub, the optics are really bad"

"people are not entirely convinced of the veracity of his character, so we are focusing on the optics"

"she was drunk & wearing skimpy clothes, the optics are not what you think"

"he has only stolen once from the charity & once from the company and has hardly stolen anything from the government, it is the optics that are misleading"

after reading those examples do you feel the moral nature of the word has any different value ?

9. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

i thought of another one

"hand on heart, im focusing on the optics"

"if your focusing on the optics, don't let public opinion hit you on the ass on your way out"

"im defying the optics! it think its a good look"

10. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

I would have imagined, telescopes, microscopes, replacement lenses for the cataract patients....
    But, no. Just a new word - yet another one! - for PR, spin, public perception, image, face-saving, cover, etc.
    iow - sophisticated lying

RainbowSingularity likes this.
  11. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Yes you are right that there is a political jargon use of "optics" to mean what in proper English we call "appearances".

All part of the pointless vogue for co-opting sciency-sounding terms for uses that have nothing to do with science and which add nothing to the previously available means of expressing the same thing..

12. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

precisely my current suspicion of where the moral compass sits on this word with its per-determined meaning.

much like terms like "snowflake"
    if it is introduced by its meaning as a specific moral position having a specific ideology attached to it then it becomes something other than a word.

i am all for modernization and linguistic evolution, which is why this word is of interest.

speaking of which
    there is a massive expansion in audio aids for those middle aged people who suffer from hearing loss, more soo with the miniaturization tech developing.
    i wonder if we might see glasses & contact lenses start to get more technical in the next few years.
    cataract surgery is likely to become vastly more accessible hopefully.
    on the shoulders of ... Fred Hollows(giants)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Hollows

13. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

In Canada, it's already accessible. I had both eyes done this past winter. Hugely improved optics!

14. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Australia
    Freely done both eyes
    One done, second scheduled one year later
    Fibbed after first operation, rode home on motor scooter, no career at home
    Year later decided I may as well stay overnight in self care monitored ward and get feed and watered
    Hoped to perhaps meet some co-workers from years past but didn't happen

15. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

eventually i would guess you will get DNA sampled & stem cell coded then wait 6 months as they grow custom lenses that simply sit over the top once the cataract has been removed adding sight capability by several hundred %.
    kinda like a custom immune & dna coded contact lens that can zoom in when you squeeze your eyes in a certain manner.
    mechanical(bio-synthetic) science at the electron microscope level

16. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Not sure viable option if the old lens still present with the foggy cataract being removed taking away a fair amount of the lens

Looking at the card they gave me for each lens it seems each lens is custom made

The plastic lens will not fog up

17. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Each lens is custom -made. That's the only part I had to pay for: getting measured by the latest, most sophisticated equipment. (The not-as-good option is covered by OHIP.)
    Still, growing our own spare parts is coming. Once we have the population under control, after the apocalypse.
    Not a good idea to grow them in the same body to which the damage will happen - you could too easily lose both the original and the clone in the same accident or illness.

18. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

when politicians are getting paid for accommodation & travel , should they also be given the same funding frame as the normal citizen ?
    bottom level.. the least possible cost ?
    with a little bit missing ?

should be equal if you want a democracy with moral equity.

the tax payer should not be funding government employee private health insurance.
    elected or chosen to work for the people, should mean they get the same level of health payment as the normal tax payer who elects them.

"let them eat medical waste cake" is not my idea of higher values for leadership morality.

do they do that with laws ?
    right to assemble ?
    patriot act ?
    tax evasion act ?
    proceeds of crimes act ?
    financing terrorism act ?
    currency manipulators act ?

when it comes to fighter planes they pay the top price for the best
    why are they not doing the same when it comes to hospitals and medical equipment ?

its patently dishonest

"optics" ... ?

19. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

i digress in to the scientific term optics after reading your personal storys

now that there is eye tracking technology, with deeper tissue scanning ability will allow the glasses to change the lens focus depending on eye muscle movement.
    squinting changes focus or focual length etc
    allows zooming ability
    eye tracking allows adaptive lens modification to various areas to give well blended different effects.
    bent screen technology will enable pulling a wider view into the lens

the potentials are massive

20. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Now I'm even sorrier that the word is wasted on BS.