Opposition to space exploration

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by flameofanor5, Sep 24, 2009.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

On the contrary, having humans in space was largely a public relations move and did not substantially contribute to the science, apart from the science of how the human body reacts to space conditions. Unmanned missions can establish wether a manned mission would be practical. Look at the success of our robotic rovers on Mars! They have been incredible. As technology improves, so will remote sensing.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

The 400,000 years is the predicted time for the wr104 might nail earth with a jet from the pole that is facing us.

The 5 mil years was a typo that I just noticed. It was intended to be 500 mil years. That is the time required to achieve enough heat for the oceans to boil.

A massive dead-on gamma burst could really mess us up possibly to the point of extinction. There are alot of long lasting bad effects that follow that kind of a burst.

That sounds about right

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Haha, that's a death sentence. There will always be problems in the world and it's not possible to solve them all.

I've been amazed how many times I've changed my mind on something after playing devil's advocate.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. superstring01 Moderator

I hate to agree, but I have to.

I'm the biggest proponent of space exploration. I think that the US currently spends about a quarter of what it should.

That said, with the money we do spent, it would be best spent on robotic exploration missions. Building a puny space station in orbit is nothing but a PR investment, and little else. The $20 billion or so that NASA receives would be best spent on robotic missions developed through US universities and corporations. That investment, would in turn, increase our knowledge of space and be an investment in our technological development.

~String

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. jpappl Valued Senior Member

I second this but I think we need to also continue with manned travel testing.

We don't spend enough and we need to be able to invest in both.

I think is reasonable to assume that manned travel should follow the robots.

Cheaper, safer and more time can be spent at each location gathering information.

8. jpappl Valued Senior Member

This is where we need leadership.

9. X-Man2 We're under no illusions. Registered Senior Member

I mean when one looks at the picture of what the US spends or waste money on why choose NASA? At least NASA has a long term benefit and maybe even a life saving benefit to us humans.

How about unnecessary war,drug war,paying out for bailouts,etc?I see no benefit tied to any of these.Why not use this money to feed the world?

If the US spent more money on sending more food over to starving kids,it would just get stolen even more by the bad guys.

10. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

That's the GRB event that I said that, along with a life-killing asteroid, did not have much of chance of occurring. WR 104 Won't Kill Us After All

Naah. We have well over a billion years before that comes to pass. Half a billion is when the majority of the plants will have died.

11. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Gah. I apologize if this offends anyone...wait, screw that... but it's a monumental waste of gold. We spend billions fiddling about with little dials to observe phenomenon that we can neither reach nor alter. Until such time as propulsion changes to allow us the ability to actually get to these events, and sociality to allow us a meaningful production base to support such exploration...don't we have people to feed? There's nothing better we can do with the cash except fire plants into space to see how they'll grow?

12. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

OK, let's look at them.
    What Spirit and Opportunity have done in 5 1/2 years on Mars, you and I could have done in a good week. Humans have a way to deal with surprises, to improvise, to change their plans on the spot. All you've got to do is look at the latest Hubble mission to see that.​
    So who said this? Some jarhead astronaut?

Nope. It was Steve Squyres, the principal investigator of the Mars Exploration Rover Mission. http://www.space.com/news/090715-apollo11-40th-squyres.html

13. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Yes the distance is increasing, but the Moon isn't going to get away.

Rubbish, by the time the Moon gets far enough away for any really noticeable effects we'll be long gone.

14. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Ooooh that's good news (nice find).

With that I disagree with:

http://faculty.physics.tamu.edu/belyanin/stars.ppt#290,27,Slide 27

It took Earth ~4.6 billion years to result in humans. 500 mil or even 1 bil years is the cut off point for life on earth.

15. thinking Banned Banned

so its moraly wrong , space exploration

space exploration is a fraction of the US budget

the problem is really about sharing the wealth , by every country

16. draqon Banned Banned

than you will be my friend, still. But space exploration is very important to civilization, I hope you will understand that.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  17. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

That there are starving children somewhere in the world makes space exploration morally wrong? Please.

A tiny fraction, yes. Do you care to hazard a guess?

That is a problem, alright. The problem is thinking that doing that is a solution to anything.

18. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

Starving children is a good enough reason but those starving children are mostly at the cause of their own governments. African governmants, for example, pocket most aid money but we still give it. Have you ever seen a thin or starving politician in Africa? If we could 'unlock' those bank accounts in Switzerland I think we would be so shocked it would cause the world to tip over!

The earth will not last for ever, nor the sun. If we as a race are to continue we HAVE to go upwards and outwards. The other excellent reason is the discoveries of new vaccines and technology that has come about as a direct result of space research and of course, the 'discovery' that the universe is made by physics, not gods. Micro technology is a result of space research, velcro, and many other inventions. Computers? Invented here in the UK in WW2, it took space exploration to accelerate the process to what we have now. My watch has a greater computer capacity that the computer used to land Apollo 11 landing craft on the moon. Without space exploration you would not be able to complain about it uselessness!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  19. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

No, it is not.

First off, you are assuming that starving children represent a moral obligation, period. For the sake of argument, I will grant that starvation is morally repugnant. However, those of you who are arguing from a perspective of starving children have simply assumed that solving starvation is a moral responsibility.

Secondly, you are assuming that solving this moral problem is something that lies in the domain of things our governments should do. While the US Constitution does imply that addressing starvation within the bounds of the US is within the bounds of government responsibilities ("promote the general welfare"), it is absolutely silent on feeding starving children in Africa.

Thirdly, you are assuming that this moral obligation trumps all others; that nothing else counts until the problem of starvation is solved. This is an overly simplistic and even dangerous point of view. The fact is that governments have many responsibilities, all of which are competing for a piece of a limited budget. I do not want our government thrashing around, spending all of its monies on solving the problem of the day and ignoring all other issues.

Fourthly, you are assuming that spending money on space exploration (and science and technology in general by extension) does not "promote the general welfare." I argue exactly the opposite: that government spending on long-term research and development is one of the best ways to promote the general welfare in the long term. While private entities tend to do much better than the government when it comes to short-term R&D, long-term R&D requires a longer time perspective than most corporations can sustain. Long-term R&D is essential for long-term improvement. Government-funded R&D has done a whole lot to promote the general welfare of our society.

Fifthly, you are assuming that if the government stopped spending money on space exploration (and science and technology in general) that all of that extra money would go to feeding the starving children. Good luck with that!

Sixthly, you are assuming that if the government somehow did transfer all monies currently spent on space exploration to programs aimed at ending starvation that this transfer of money would somehow solve the problem. That is a tiny, tiny amount of money. Federal spending on domestic welfare programs is 50 to 100 times that spent on space exploration. Increasing domestic welfare programs by a percent or two will not solve the problem of starvation in America, let alone world-wide.

This argument appears to come solely from the left. There are many on the far right who are vehemently opposed to same-sex marriage on moral grounds. One response from those who favor legalizing same-sex marriage is that those on the far right need to stop trying to foist their twisted morals on society at large. I'll accept that as a valid argument. So what are you on the left trying to foist your twisted morals on society at large with respect to the subject of this thread?

Those of you who feel that solving starvation is a moral obligation can freely donate your own money to charities whose specific aim is feeding the starving children. If solving starvation is such an overriding moral obligation that it precludes spending government monies on scientific research, why do those of you who feel this way still have a computer and an internet connection? (That you posted here is proof that you have both.) Why haven't you sold your computer, your TV, your stereo, and every other nonessential possession you own and donated the proceeds to charities such as Feed The Children?

20. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

You completely read my post wrong, in fact you could not had read it more wrong. Read the entire first paragraph again. What I said was that it is a good enough reason but not true. I then go on to completely justify space exploration.

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Can I choose which half? Can I? Please? Please?
    Indeed. The sun will burn out in several billion years, but one of the first steps in that stellar evolution will be for it to grow larger. It will eventually expand to a diameter larger than Earth's orbit, but during that expansion it will only take a billion years (I think your figure is off by a factor of two but it hardly matters) for Earth's surface temperature to reach the boiling point of water. The planet's water-dependent biology cannot survive that. Surely the rich and powerful will build a few air-conditioned bunkers with hydroponic gardens, but dissipation of the waste heat of their biological and technological processes will become increasingly difficult as the external temperature continues to rise.
    My favorite is the combination of spending tax money on farm subsidies to tobacco farms, and spending tax money to encourage the citizenry to stop smoking.
    To paraphrase a speech that I didn't have the foresight to write down:
    Just spamming the galaxy with probes containing digital libraries of the beauty of our planet and the magnitude of our accomplishments will, hopefully, be appreciated by the other species who find it. Not to mention our darkest moments such as the Holocaust, as a warning that civilization must always be vigilant against backsliding.
    Our species needs a frontier. It's of enormous psychological importance to humans, with our powerful instinct for exploration. A frontier into an uncivilized--or even unknown--region serves as a reassurance that if you get to the point that you really can't stand the life you've settled into as a cell in the organism known as civilization, you can make your way to "the ends of the earth" and live the (highly romanticized) carefree life of your Stone Age ancestors.

More importantly, knowing that you have that choice forces you to make the choice. Very few people actually quit their jobs, left their families and went off to trap their own food or to live with the premodern people in America, Africa, Australia, Siberia and Oceania. But the ability to turn down the option helped them make peace with the life they had.

That option is gone now; even Siberia and New Guinea have cities. People are no longer able to judge how dissatisfied they are with their lives, so they go off into fantasies about it. Some of them turn into mass murderers, some become dropouts, but most just tread water, working in sinecure jobs where their net contribution to civilization is negative. ("They think they've beaten the system when all they're doing is hiding out at the bottom of it.") Whichever escape they choose, the rest of us have to carry them.

Gene Roddenberry knew this and wisely called space "the Final Frontier." Today, it may not be a practical escape route for most of us. But it holds that promise, and we need that promise.
    Homo sapiens is a pack-social species and our pack-social instinct includes communally caring about the survival of the children of our pack-mates. Twelve thousand years of small nomadic tribes settling into farming villages which became cities which became states which became nations which became transnational entities like the EU have expanded our definition of "our pack" to include anonymous strangers on the other side of the planet who are nothing but abstractions to us. (Stop and consider the outrage in the USA over the murder of a single adolescent in Iran, whose people we don't even like very much.)

Starving children anywhere on Earth are a moral obligation to every human being. Not because some government document or religious tract or persuasive philosopher says so. It's because that's how we're programmed. People who can ignore starvation in a distant country are just lagging a bit behind the rest of us in the evolution of their pack-social instinct, as modified by civilization.
    It's also silent on bringing freedom to Iraq and democracy to Afghanistan, but that doesn't stop them. All three branches of the U.S. government have been using the Constitution for toilet paper since FDR proved that they could get away with it 76 years ago. As a libertarian I have an endless list of things that we must stop our government from doing. I just checked that list, and feeding starving children in the Third World is not anywhere in the first hundred pages.

The one single factor in a person's life that has an astoundingly high correlation with the probability of him being abjectly poor is... the country he lives in. As long as the political right in America wants to erect barriers to his ability to immigrate to a country where he can feed his own children, then I'll happily approve the political, moral, philosophical and practical compromise of helping him feed them where he is. I may be a libertarian but I'm still a human being and unlike the cartoon characters in Ayn Rand's books, I have not lost my pack-social instinct.

22. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I agree with the notion of the frontier - or of the psychology driving it, rather - but shouldn't we try to get over the barrier instead of staring at it, then running to one of the barrier's supports and dry-humping it until we chafe? Maybe we could climb or figure out how to build a ladder, because this solid propellant crap is not going to help us at all.

And, frankly, everyone hates spam.

"Ugh! Not again!"

"What's the matter, Xardoz-9?'

"Bloody spam from Earth again. You know, their sun went supernova a billion years ago, and I'm still getting advertisements about something called Prozac. And just what the hell is 'Zuu Pr()n', anyway?"

Apologies for the crass analogy.

23. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

Highly doubtful. The only way we could shift say half the Earth's population to Mars would be if the Earth's population shrank to say ten. The odds that you would be one of the ten survivors of the cataclysm that led to this decline are rather small.

A spaceship that could carry 1000 people to Mars is something that is purely in the realm of science fiction. Yet if we had such a capability right now we would have to launch one about once per second just to make a tiny dent in the Earth's population. The Earth's population is currently growing by about 900 people every second.

NASA is not going to solve our overpopulation problem.

All this stuff on the ultimate fate of the Earth is an interesting subject but is completely off-topic from the gist of this thread. I guess I need to move the off-topic stuff to yet another thread (amusingly, this thread started as a completely off-topic comment to this thread.)

That is assuming that there is some other species out there in close enough proximity to retrieve these probes before all information decays to nothingness. Morever, it is assuming that even if some other species is in close proximity to us that they will find those probes. The chances of the first assumption is, IMO, dubious. The latter requires that this hypothetical species has developed an Infinite Improbability Drive.

OK. Now we're getting back to the reason for why we should explore space. This still doesn't say why we should explore space now.

You omitted the rest of my post, Fraggle. I agree that starving children is a moral issue. What I don't agree with is that starving children is a reason to forego spending money on space exploration, and presumably anything else that doesn't directly address the problem of starving children.

Oh please. It is not just the political right that wants to erect barriers to immigration. The 1965 immigration law, which remains the law of the land, was passed by a Democratic Congress and signed by a Democratic President. That law placed immigration quotas on immigrants from all nations. I see no plans by the current Democratic Congress and Democratic President to get rid of those immigration quotas.