Opera

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by sevenblu, Jun 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

Firefox is a superior browser. 'nuff said.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

^ Alpha have said all that needed to say

^

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sevenblu feeling blu Registered Senior Member

I tried Opera and Firefox, and I like Opera better. It is faster, and much more user friendly with more security options.

Only all product support goes to IE... The worst one of them all.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Well, IE needs the support because it is crap...

I also tried firefox, but I don´t like it.

8. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

Firefox is the fastest browser once you customize it right. Just change a few options and it blazes. Some pages (depending on the site) load in the blink of an eye in firefox.
    Try going to about:config and enabling pipelining. There are a number of tips to speed it up and do other things. And it doesn't have more options than firefox, it's just that a lot of the options are not as obvious. Once you have some decent extensions (especially adblock) installed, nothing beats it.
    Firefox is the most secure and customizable browser.

9. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Firefox needs a lot of customisation before it is user friendly...so in that respect it's not user friendly...

10. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

wierd, because I found it really easy to use right out of the "box" .

only problem was which X to click in the begining, i keept closing the entire thing

11. Dunnoyet Registered Senior Member

Firefox is nice because, unlike Opera, it loads very quickly on the computer I work with at school (266MHz, 64MB RAM).

Funny...I have had no problems with Google popups on SciForums using Netscape (win98) or Mozilla (RedHat 7.3). Good Luck.

12. Firefly Registered Senior Member

I'm using Firefox for the first time ever, just installed it, and I lurrrve it. I'm not that computer literate, but ... how is it not user friendly?! The tab thing is utterly amazing, the themes etc are great and I swear it loads faster than IE too.

13. shoffsta Geek Registered Senior Member

konqueror is awesome...fast, no popups, ...
    if you're going for speed: w3m or lynx

14. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

Firefox speed tips:
    1 - Get an optimized build for your system
    2 - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=53650
    3 - Get Adblock from here and use these filters:
    Note, the /\D\d{2,3}x\d{2,3}\D/ filter may give some false positives, and if you find some images are blocked that shouldn't be, you can try removing that one. I don't think I've had any problems with it though.
    If you really want the ultimate filter list, read through this thread

If you set adblock to remove blocked items (default) rather than hide, you'll be downloading less of the page, and it will therefore be a little bit faster.

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I tried Firefox for 5 minutes now and I must admit I actually like it better than Opera so far.

Does this mean I am switching browser again?

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I used Opera before Mozilla and now Firefox

17. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

I used Opera, then Firefox, then Mozilla, then quickly back to Firefox.

Yes!

18. Blindman Valued Senior Member

It seems that not many people have written any web based applications for if you had you would not be dissing IE. Its is by far the most advance browser available. When you learn how to use it properly you will understand why.

If you dont know how to use the security setting and the automated updates that are provided with XP then you are asking for trouble.

In fact IE has been so successfully that Microsoft have stopped development so to stop the proliferation of Web based applications that are infringing on their own product lines. A bit of a shame and is leaving a gapping hole for the competition. But the competition is so hung up on the “STANDARDS” that they are incapable of producing a good next generation browser.

It easy to bad mouth something if you don't understand it.

IE rules. There used to be a day when it was the feature lists that got the vote. Now it seem that features are second place behind MS bagging.

19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

who are you kidding?
    I am a webdesigner and I see more troubles with IE than with any other browser now in existance (I don't program though). I'm all for a clean code without any exotic "super" features.
    besides.. I'm on Linux -> ..I., Suxplorer

20. Blindman Valued Senior Member

To bad Avatar.. Do you know about the local data store that is available with IE. Save up to 1MB of data for each domain without the use of cookies up to 10MB for intranet. Its indispensable, persistence being a major problem for web based applications. You save bandwidth, server side data storage, code complexity and most of all MONEY...

21. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I orginally switched to Opera because I was making a very simple table in Html and it wouldn't show properly on IE. But it did on mozilla and Opera. I never looked back since. IE can't even do simple Html properly.

22. Blindman Valued Senior Member

IE has much better table management then the "Standard". Take the trouble and learn the IE way. As a programmer you'll never look back. Tables that allow you to sort columns. Integrated with dot net enterprise tables are just a few clicks away with powers most people only get with client side apps..

23. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

what use of it if it shows right on IE but not on other browsers?

p.s. do you work for MS?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.