Opera Browser slow on Mac

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Giambattista, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. not49p Registered Member

I have the exact smae problem whereby I cannomt syee what is being typed because it gets entered so slowly. Very fr

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. river-wind Valued Senior Member

ok, semi official word; it was fixed in 10.50b, but they seem to have failed to port the fix to later 10.5 builds (edit: there are some reports at the bottom of the link below that suggest going all the way back to 10.10

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

); problem on exists on OSX tiger (10.4.x) only.

There has been a bug report filed, #DSK-304207 the fix for now is to revert to 10.54 and disable auto-update in the application preferences.

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=613312

link to 10.54 installer:
    http://www.opera.com/download/?os=mac&ver=10.54&local=y

try that and report back.

(alternately, just use a different browser, like Safari or even firefox until a fixed 10.6 build is available)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. keith1 Guest

-clean and defrag your computer
    -clean your registry
    -check for firewall restrictions which may slow operations
    -check for superfluous shields in your anti-virus program

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. river-wind Valued Senior Member

All good advice for windows. Anyone with odd behavior on a Windows machine who comes into this thread would do well to check these items.

However, given that this is a software issue on Mac OS X, they don't apply.

1) Not a bad idea for general maintenance purposes, but clearly not the cause of this issue, it's a known bug in various version of Opera on OS X 10.4.x. Also, OS X automatically defrags on a constant basis; additional defragging is a rare need these days.
    2) Macs don't have a registry, and that's a good thing.
    3) Good advice; there could always be firewall blocking needed traffic. Would likely not be the cause of this problem if firefox or safari aren't showing the same behavior, given that all web browsers talk over port 80 & 443 unless otherwise explicitly specified.
    4) This was covered earlier; while OSX has a base level included malware signature ID file, due to a combination of OS design and small market share, there isn't much threat (yet) from malware on the Mac. As such, there isn't much of a market for anti-virus software, and the OP mentioned he/she didn't have any installed.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  8. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Thank you for your sleuthing. I guess I will try loading an earlier version.

Also want to add an extra thank you for that link. I guess I must be lazy, inept, etc. I really didn't think to look there.
    Very surprising how many people are having the same issue on that forum. Here I kept thinking that I was a special case and it was my system at fault. I have been proven wrong! In a good way, too.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  9. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Finally reverted to Opera 10.10. Works like it used to. And faster than Safari.
    Surprising what a difference it makes. I was getting fed up with my Mac because of it!

Oh, yeah. Apparently the problem is rampant and still hasn't been addressed by the recent 10.62 version.
    I'm wondering if ANY Mac users are able to use the latest Opera.

10. Trevis Registered Senior Member

Hello
    I prefer protect my mac and for it i use protemac. com ProteMac Netmine .It's firewall which controls all the network.In my opinion it's really good tool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.