Open note for Moderators

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Neverfly, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neverfly Banned Banned

Maybe we need some lawyers to join the forum.

Holy hell... What am I saying?!

Scratch that.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

Don't really know what has you in a tizzy. But if mods aren't moderated. Then this is more than a dictatorship. Watch you back Neverfly. An stay low. An try not to tick them off an get banned ok.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Neverfly Banned Banned

Uhmm... I'm not staying low, I'm standing up.

But for the record... No mod has been insanely rude or acted as though they have plans to 'abuse power' or anything.

It raises a question: Who moderates the Moderators? My best guess is: Eachother.
    I'm under the impression that some of this may be being discussed in a back room. I don't really know for sure- I'm being kept in the dark, too.

I figure I'll give it a few more days.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

We moderate each other and ourselves, and the admins/super mods moderate the regular mods.

8. Neverfly Banned Banned

Bold mine:
    There's an implication here that my request is a lost cause, then?

9. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Well...

You kinda hit the nail on the head there...

Super-mods and admin, are basically on the same level.

So, if you have a beef with a super-mod, or an admin...Just give it up brother, you lose.

I'm not saying they are always right, but, they are never wrong...

Know what I mean?

Just my opinion...I see infraction points coming.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Like Kittamaru put, for the most part moderators do keep an eye on each other. If someone breaches the trust of the site owners or the membership, then the moderators will act and this has occurred in the past with certain ex-mods being reduced to normal membership on the account of how they were.

For the most part though, it's only really occurred in serious cases, ones that people can actually draw a conclusion about. In the instance of what you referred to it's a difficult thing to actually deal with as it's not like you can point at someone and say they "stole your sweet roll". Like I pointed out it just seems that a particular subject had emotional retorts and the moderator in question decided to nip the whole thread in the bud, it just happened to occur when addressing you, but I'm pretty sure the thread would of been closed even if you hadn't posted in it.

11. Neverfly Banned Banned

Yes, and I'm not out to ask Mods step down. There are instances where I'd like Mods to tone it down, that's different.
    And yes, I could stand to tone things down, sometimes, too.

In this case, Stryder, I do see your point. What I disagree with is that the action enforces a character attack, which is not well justified considering what was actually said. I'd prefer it to be a more accurate Mod note- one that informs the parties to check their behavior, not one that makes a character assumption.

If you feel I'm over-reacting- let me know. I'd hope you can see how I would personally see this. But I'll defer to your judgment.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  12. Balerion Banned Banned

I've seen no evidence of this. At least not in a long time.

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Sorry, I've been very busy of late and I am a bit out of touch.

This thing has been going on for how long now? A week? Two?

From this thread, I can't get any clear idea of what your issue is, Neverfly. And as far as I can tell, your issue is mostly scattered somewhere among a raft of PMs to various different moderators.

If you actually have a legitimate complaint you wish to raise, be specific. Start by reading post #13 of this thread, and try to summarise your complaint for us. On the other hand, if this is just a general rant because your feelings have been hurt by a moderator, please spare us.

14. Neverfly Banned Banned

I was specific when I PM'ed you, James R. I will assume you have that PM, still. If not, I can forward you the initial copy.
    Forwarded response to #13.
    Forwarded rebuttal.
    Forwarded response.
    Forwarded Mods Original reply.
    Forwarded Request to confront. Mod in question should be able to clear up if I've missed anything.

Quoting myself:

15. Neverfly Banned Banned

Is this your whole attitude, James R?

What you have is a clear double standard in which the Mods Insult and speak abusively and go unmoderated. It gets justified, however wrongly.

I raised this issue to hold Tiassa Accountable for making a character attack and then shutting the door on it. Making that character attack, as a MODERATOR and then justifying the attack with unfounded Absurdities.
    If you wish to be "Spared" from having to deal with your mods behavior- perhaps you should re-evaluate the position you hold. It is, after-all, voluntary.

16. Neverfly Banned Banned

I was reasonable, patient, understanding and polite. I waited - and waited- and spoke of understanding that Mods are busy and human.
    The argument with Bells makes a nice distraction. It doesn't change anything more than demonstrate, in great clarity, how unchecked Mod behavior is.

17. Balerion Banned Banned

I learned this lesson myself very recently, so listen up: In a forum such as this, where such varied ideas and personal beliefs are shared, hackles will raise and teeth will show. Occasionally, someone's hand might get bitten. In order for this forum to operate, some degree of this must be allowed. The alternative is a forum where nothing of any import is said, and the kooks' opinions are just as valid as those of the sensible folk. We may disagree on what constitutes a kook, and you might take offense when the accusation is thrown your way, but that's part of the exchange of ideas. Feelings get hurt. You can endlessly groan about it, or you can take your lumps and move. Don't get me wrong, if you feel slighted, say so, but don't think that it entitles you to display the offender's head on a spike atop the city wall.

Bells got personal with you, yes. So did I. And you got personal with us. What a disturbing menage a trois. Now it's time to put on your big-boy pants and move on. I mean, dude, she said I was no better than Anders Behring Breivik, the guy who murdered 77 people in Norway last year. She called him "my kind." Yes, I threw a fit after that, tried a couple of times to get her banned or demoted, but look at me now! I'm even agreeing with her on stuff. And it's almost kinda funny looking back on it. She was caught up in the mess and let loose with a stream of ridiculousness right in my eye.

I don't--and won't--forgive Tiassa for agreeing with her, but what do I do about that? I stay away from him. Problem solved.

18. Neverfly Banned Banned

It sounds like you're saying: Buck up and tolerate intellectual dishonesty, abuse of position- doing otherwise will get you nowhere or banned.

Maybe others have learned to just take the abuse- I will not. I'm not intimidated. I'm unwilling to accept abuse and fighting back is a necessity.
    I question their actions and poor decisions. I question that Tiassa fully supports anything Bells does or says and even goes to absurd lengths to justify a mistake.
    I find it disturbing. Thankfully, Kittamaru is wrong in the other thread- this is not how things work elsewhere.

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

*shrugs* Not to sound condescending Neverfly... but it kind of is... who moderates the "moderators" in real life? The ones above them. Who moderates those above them? The ones above them... at some point you get to a level where there is nobody "above" and those at that level must self-moderate... for the US, the government "self moderates" with checks and balances... though that system fell into utter chaos decades ago *shrug*

20. Neverfly Banned Banned

You didn't come across as condescending.

I'll admit this much- If it was peoples nature to just accept what is, we'd still be paying taxes to England and minorities would still be sitting on the back of the bus.

21. Balerion Banned Banned

I am not a fan of Bells as a moderator, and I've been on the other end of her diatribes. I know what it's like. You have seen nothing, and in my view have earned the whipping. You have been one of the most intellectually dishonest--not to mention crude--posters seen here in some time. You'll deny it until you're blue in the face, but the ideas you forwarded in that thread were disgusting, and your denial of them demonstrated an immaturity that will make you the target of people who will not suffer your kind. And those people will say mean things, and they will be justified in doing so, and won't be moderated for it.

What I'm saying is that there's no point in complaining about it, especially when it comes from the mouth (er, fingers?) of a moderator, because nothing's going to come of it. You can say "I won't stand for this," and all that jazz, but trust me, nobody's listening. So...what next? You're going to spend your free time taking a stand against tyranny at sciforums.com? C'mon.

Get over it. Otherwise you're just going to waste your time and everyone else's. And if you keep up your act, you'll be banned eventually. It may take 11 thousand posts like it did for Wynn before the Back Room finally gets fed up, but it will happen. And then what? You see where I'm going with this? Even if you were right, you can't win. And you're not right, trust me.

22. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

23. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Who watches the watchers... heh... hasn't that been the stuff of movies and conspiracy theories for years?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.