Open Mind

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Cactus Jack, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Allright, a lot of Athiest and A LOT of Theists are closed minded I've noticed. Not opening up to the other point of view, no empathy. Now I am an atheist (though in my new philosophy this does not matter truely) however I have read the bible and the theologic works of Saint Thomas Aquinas. So before you become closed minded to things I just have this story to relate:

A Graduate student comes to visit a Zen-Master to learn Zen Philosophy, however after everything the Zen-Master says the student goes on with something liken to "well we have that in the west..." after along time of this interuptions the Zen-Master begins to serve the student tea however the Zen-Master keeps pouring until the tea is flowing from the cup. The Student says "enough the cup is overflowing!" The Zen-Master Replys "Like my teachings, you must first empty your cup before you can taste my tea."

Peace Out.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xev Registered Senior Member

Keeping an open mind is a virtue, but not so open that your brains fall out --James Olberg

Or as our own Tony1 put it:

It should be obvious to everyone on this forum by now, that "open mind" is code for "stupidity."
    I'm guessing that due to the large number of people advocating openmindedness on the other guy's part, that it isn't obvious.

One must, as always, evaluate new ideas using reason, logic and perhaps emotion. Evaluation and rejection is not the same thing as rejection out of hand.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

An open mind is often considered one that is prepared to believe anything. That isn’t accurate. An open mind is one that is prepared to consider anything. After consideration and examination it is quite reasonable to conclude that the considered claims are invalid.

Cris

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

Open mindedness goes both ways. It also means someone needs to be prepared to consider if something is completely garbage, like communism or religions.

8. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

No, I agree with all of you. But what I dislike the most is if someone says/does something liken to: "Well I obviously have considered this more then you" and stops debating or "well I truley understand you don't, you haven't opened your hearts." I actualy feel Athiests as a whole have more open minds, they listen to the claims and then tear it apart with logic, they contemplait the ideas then tear them apart after. Some Thiests do also. However, I have noticed most won't even think of the concept of no God. That is blatantly close-minded.

The main reason I posted this however was I enjoyed the story and am a very open-minded person, always looking at both sides of an issue, empathizing

P.S. Keeping an open mind is a virtue, but not so open that your brains fall out --James Olberg Really liked that quote Xev.

9. ~The_Chosen~ Registered Senior Member

Right on the money Cris. Consideration, instead of blowing off without reasons.