One of the biggest climate change threats -- Rain

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by wegs, Jul 19, 2019.

1. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Personally: What have you done?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

For starters, believing that we play a role in global warming and vote for political candidates who aren’t naysayers is a good first step. Doing my part to not contribute further to pollution and waste is another. Not enough nor perfect, but I try to do what I can. What are you doing?

Why are so many, deniers of our role in climate change issues? Humans aren’t the sole reason but a significant one, imo.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    RainbowSingularity likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

Keep in mind that up until about 1992 both democrats and republicans recognized it as a potential threat. But in 1992, Clinton signed the Kyoto Protocol. And at that point, climate change became something that republicans felt they had to oppose, because otherwise they would have had to admit that Clinton did something that was good.

RainbowSingularity likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Personally, to me it doesn't really matter who or what is to blame.
    What really matters to me, is that we accept that something irrespective of Who or What is to blame, is in fact actually happening.

The science involved is in the current data collecting and the historical data facts.
    There appears to be a significant trend that indicates that the climate is deteriorating rapidly. If that trend continues we face extreme hardship, massive economic loss and possible extinction as a race.

That is all people really need to know to begin with IMO.

Once accepted that "something" extraordinary is happening then the issue of responsibility can be worked on. ( not the other way around)

Ultimately the quibbling over who and what to apportion responsibility to is a question for the historians of the future..

So the question needs to be more focused IMO
    • Why do people not see that the global climate is in fact rapidly deteriorating?
    Then
    • If they do accept that it is happening, why are they not seeking answers themselves, as to Why is it happening?.

The pressure to understand must come from the ignorant for them to own their answers. Other wise virtually nothing changes.
    Knowing is one thing but believing what you know is another...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  8. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

it is an interesting subject ( for me and others ) : the Kyoto protocol... here is a relevant excerpt from the wiki on it.
    Non-ratification by the US
    The US signed the Protocol on 12 November 1998,[94] during the Clinton presidency. To become binding in the US, however, the treaty had to be ratified by the Senate, which had already passed the 1997 non-binding Byrd-Hagel Resolution, expressing disapproval of any international agreement that did not require developing countries to make emission reductions and "would seriously harm the economy of the United States". The resolution passed 95–0.[95] Therefore, even though the Clinton administration signed the treaty,[96] it was never submitted to the Senate for ratification.

When George W. Bush was elected US president in 2000, he was asked by US Senator Chuck Hagel what his administration's position was on climate change. Bush replied that he took climate change "very seriously",[97] but that he opposed the Kyoto treaty because "it exempts 80% of the world, including major population centers such as China and India, from compliance, and would cause serious harm to the US economy."[98] The Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research reported in 2001:

This policy reversal received a massive wave of criticism that was quickly picked up by the international media. Environmental groups blasted the White House, while Europeans and Japanese alike expressed deep concern and regret. [...] Almost all world leaders (e.g. China, Japan, South Africa, Pacific Islands, etc.) expressed their disappointment at Bush's decision.

In response to this criticism, Bush stated: "I was responding to reality, and reality is the nation has got a real problem when it comes to energy." The Tyndall Centre called this "an overstatement used to cover up the big benefactors of this policy reversal, i.e., the US oil and coal industry, which has a powerful lobby with the administration and conservative Republican congressmen."[99]

As of 2016, the US is the only signatory that has not ratified the Protocol.[100] The US accounted for 36% of emissions in 1990. As such, for the treaty to go into legal effect without US ratification, it would require a coalition including the EU, Russia, Japan, and small parties. A deal, without the US Administration, was reached in the Bonn climate talks (COP-6.5), held in 2001.

src: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoto_Protocol

perhaps the USA could have maintained enough interest to come up with another solution instead?

9. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

narcissistic defense
    used offensively

wegs dont expect an answer.
    because sculptor is banging on his tambourine

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

wegs likes this.
  10. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

spoilt rich fat little boy stealing pies lying and crying and claiming the pies are his anyway and everyone should stop not doing what he says.
    The modern expression is "white privilege".

11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Not so much blame, as much as acknowledgement. I think if we don’t at least acknowledge our part in global warming, we are destined to see more catastrophic weather patterns.

Blame is such a harsh word lol

12. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

sure, but the person has to acknowledge that there is even a need to apportion responsibility to begin with... which was my point...
    If they don't believe there is a problem then....how can they blame anything.
    So many do not believe there is a problem to start with....

wegs likes this.
  13. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Ahh! I see. So there are people who don’t even believe that global warming is happening. I hadn’t considered that possibility lol

Quantum Quack likes this.
  14. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

You know ... I have been ranting on this issue for ages maybe 28 years or so, yet I live with a flat mate who has not the slightest idea about it. Every attempt to discuss it fails.
    He simply just doesn't want to know. He refuses to watch any news, prefers movies tv soap, and is totally insulated from world affairs.
    It is actually staggering to think that he is just one person among millions if not billions of like minded people, some of whom have no trust in news media what so ever, or any one impacted by news media.

wegs likes this.
  15. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

So true. Get him to become a member here...we’ll set him straight. Lol

16. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

lol... the Farsi (*) translator working over time... lol
    (*) Persian language.

17. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

lol
    blame in homogenized US culture = taking money off someone to spend on more single use plastic toys for your children.

18. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

And some don't actually care, which is hard to believe. I call it the " f&^% you, I'm alright Jack" mentality. If it isn't a doomsday, catastrophic scenario that is happening now or tomorrow, they literally don't give a flying f%$#!!

19. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

lol You are funny sometimes, RS. The things you say...

You're right, apathy can be just as bad. :/

20. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

sell-out suburban parents wish to avoid being accountable by exporting their (E-Waste)rubbish and buying their kids plastic crap.
    a lot of kids plastic crap buying is done as an addictive behaviour to buy out personal guilt.
    sometimes it is personal guilt while other times it is addictive behaviour like a cultural model of OCD as a addiction to feeling like you have something new and shiny when inside you feel worthless
    it is very common

it drives anti-vaxing, domestic abuse, drug and substance abuse
    many things in varying complexities.

21. billvon Valued Senior Member

Those people do exist. And creating more of them is one of the primary tasks of the Republican National Committee. Trump once famously said "I love the poorly educated" - because those are the easiest people to convince that climate change doesn't exist, or is natural, or is all good.

22. sculptor Valued Senior Member

OK
    Trees(mostly), enough to go carbon neutral 30 years ago, and as the saplings have matured, carbon negative for myself and a dozen other folks.
    and research
    eg: The holocene ocean high stand(s) --men sea level(msl)
    this is the conservative estimate:

and: a tad less conservative

OK up to 10 meters,and , most likely 2-3 meters above current.
    and, Between 1900 and 2016, the sea level rose by 16–21 cm
    ok we have a way to go before we reach previous sea levels during this holocene(mis 1) interglacial.

and....(of course) the Rs
    reduce, repair, rebuild, retask(re-use) recycle

I think that voting for people who use sound bites while not knowing what in hell they are talking about would be a fool's errand.

23. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

So, should the government and we, as individuals ...do nothing?