One of my random thoughts really, but I'll post it anyway

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by visceral_instinct, May 5, 2009.

?

What would you do with such a person?

1. Kill her for her blood. One should die for the good of many.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Take some of her blood on a regular basis and use it to heal people

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Leave her alone, she doesn't owe humanity anything

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Say a mutant human was born whose blood had the ability to heal any injury and most diseases.

Would you demand that this person use this mutation to help others?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

I spend more time around if it's sterile or not and how to best multiply this mutation. It's an Ubermensch or UberWomansch.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Saven Registered Member

Killing someone innocent to achieve another result is barbaric and any society that does such a thing would be UNWORTHY of her healing. Killing her would be the ultimate act of showing that such a society is rotten to the core, and should be left without such abilities.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'd think with todays technology they could just artificially reproduce the blood.

8. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

i'm sure for the sake of the argument that wouldn't be the case.

i think the ethical/moral thing to do would be offer money for her services, the 2nd poll option implies that her donations would be enforced. At the end of the day all people could do more for each other, its an unfair expectation.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Most Native Americans had no diseases that the archaeologists could find, like cancer, small pox and so on.

10. swarm Registered Senior Member

We already have people whose blood has the power to save people. They are "universal donors." They are encouraged to donate often, but not forced to.

11. swarm Registered Senior Member

Wow, what new age bit of flotsome did you get that idea from?

12. ili Registered Member

The pharmaceutical companies would put a hit on his ass.

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

why would they kill this person? Was that in the OP??

14. oiram Registered Senior Member

LOL i think you're right!

15. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

She doesn't owe anyone anything.

16. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

No she shouldn't be forced too. If she is the only one of her kind then she obviously can't help everyone, short of donating her DNA to find out someway to replicate her ability. But even if she never helped anyone (after these abilities were discovered) I can't see her living a peaceful life, ever. There would always be people hounding her. She'd be like Jesus with all the sick people following him every where went in hopes that he might touch them.

17. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Absolutely you shouldn't kill her, because that achieves no purpose; and anyway you can only have one harvest of blood from someone you kill. If the person gives her permission, then you can use her blood to help others. Alternately, find out what genetic quirk has led to this interesting blood in the first place, and see if you can GE it into animals. BTW, as others have said, make sure the pharma-companies don't wipe her out...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Perhaps give her a permanent presidential-style bodyguard for life

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

Let her choose, leave her alone.

19. cadaeic cadenza Banned Banned

Killing her to take all of her blood would be a stupid move. You could take more blood from her over her lifetime than you could if you just killed her and took it all right away. Didn't you ever read the story about the goose who laid golden eggs?

20. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

As an archaeologist, I can tell you this isn't so. I can cite several sources if you really doubt my word. You also have to keep in mind that many diseases don't manifest in the material remains of humanity, but there are good examples of periodontal disease, dental calculus, tuberculosis, syphilis, arthritis, Paget's, and many other bone-affecting diseases. Things like heart diseases/disorders wouldn't show up -nor would many cancers though there is evidence of cancerous lesions in Native American remains prior to the arrival of Europeans.