One for the pro-lifers (scion from abortion thread)

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by visceral_instinct, May 13, 2010.

1. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I'll just repost what I said over there...

Discuss. Or should I say flame?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lightgigantic Banned Banned

um - no
    anything else?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

My answer is yes. Doing drugs and putting yourself in harms way for the sake of sport imo isn't wise. After all, you are just as valuable as a fetus and generally what's good for you is good for the fetus and vice versa.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Ah it's Lori...I can guess what she says. She'd probably have me give up all my favourite activities because they're bad for my potential fetus. Even though she knows perfectly well I'd abort that fetus.

8. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

I was actually concerned about you. See how wrong you can be?

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2010
  9. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

@ lightgigantic
    Thats a fine analogy.
    Of course, and yes it is marvelous. We are attempting to unravel nature. A noble attempt IMO. The faithful may frown on this, but rest assured many, many lives are saved due to such thinking. (when prayers go unanswered)
    A valid view, but one grounded on the assumption that a watchmaker is required in the first instance. Of course this is an interesting argument as complexity requires complexity. Whence from initial prime complexity/G_dhead?

10. lightgigantic Banned Banned

its not so much that I am against material adjustment ... its just the notion that the success of knowledge lies in rendering things into materially reducible components that strikes me as intensely narrow minded (especially since there are so many dogs barking on the street already)

and similarly your view is grounded in the assumption that one isn't required ... or more specifically, that everything is materially reducible ... which, ironically, also requires eternal components in order to be valid ....

11. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

Hm. Existentially speaking, I can relate to that notion, however IMO an exploration of this notion will eventually devolve into Absurdism. I really like the intrusion of a cacophony of barking.

Or in time, said complete material reduction can be achieved.
    Conundrum.

12. Pit JAADD Registered Senior Member

I think what visceral_instinct and the OP meant things like drinking, taking over the counter drugs, junk food, and caffeine. These things, while slightly bad for you, are very bad for a fetus. Most people don't, say, go into destruction derbys or smoke marijuana, pregnant or not. I think it's unfair to ban these things to post-pubescent women on the off chance they've got a baby. Side question: Should doing any of the above when pregnent be considered child abuse?