On Trial For Manslaughter For Failing to Predict Earthquake

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by scheherazade, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Yes, this is the quick answer ....

In truth, it's an American football weekend, so as kickoff approaches Seattle, you get the quick answer:

I would make two points to start with:

• Recalling my earlier acknowledgment that I am looking at this situation with presuppositions derived from American jurisprudence, I can certainly say that while one can reasonably argue there is some question about whether or not the Commission did its job properly, this wouldn't be coming to trial in the U.S. There could certainly be a public process on this, but it wouldn't be to trial, even two and a half years after the event.

• In truth, there must be something I'm missing in the factual record; your storm analogy seems a little simplistic insofar as I don't see it happening that way. In the States, we routinely blow it on storms. Katrina's toll owes something to the dike and levee system being overrepresented, or, perhaps, the storm surge underrepresented. We once had folks hit by a tornado with no warning because Clear Channel ran the station, which means they were piping a feed from someplace on the coasts into the midwest, with the result that when storm warnings went out there was nobody local to cut in and inform the public. Nobody goes to trial over these things; that's probably an outcome of statutory conditions, though.​

Additionally, I would reiterate that I don't listen to weathermen. I know that's a light way of stating it, but living in the Puget Sound region, we're subject to earthquakes, though it's not like living in southern California. But I think of it, in this case, in terms both of seismology and its slightly more specific friend vulcanology. Ever since 1980, residents of Washington state have learned to live with a powderkeg volcano next door, and in the wake of Mt. St. Helens, we have the looming spectre of Mt. Rainier exploding in our faces. The chances change all the time, but Mt. Rainier is on a clock to pitch a major hissy-cow sometime in the next ten- to one hundred-thousand years. And we all know that also means it could be tomorrow. What I'm getting at is that the case of those in L'Aquila who trusted the scientists and went home to their doom, or however that goes, doesn't ring true to living in earthquake territory. To wit, I know that the longer a sequence of shocks goes on, the more energy is released, and generally—statistically—speaking, this means the danger is reducing over time. But I also played a game, as a kid, called Booby Trap, in which you similarly caused minor temblors by removing wooden discs from the board until something slipped, the spring released, and the pressure arm swept all the pieces off the board. What I'm getting at is that it is possible for aftershocks to set up a new major quake. Scoot, scoot, scoot, scoot, and then, suddenly, leap. I see this process every day in life, in little ways. Dirt, flour, sand, even piles of leaves. A child's toy box. What the data says is what the data says, and that's fine. But I never forget that the data is history, and the projection is merely a projection. We won't know conditions have changed until after the change occurs. What happened? Something else broke underground; something big. The settling of the land distributed pressure in such a fashion as to cause another catastrophic slip in the fault. This can happen. I don't see how one can live in an earthquake region and not understand this.

The way the people of L'Aquila come across in the complaint just doesn't ring right to me. Even the idea that with a different warning, they wouldn't have gone home to their deaths seems completely backwards to me. Around here, you don't want to be outside; there are trees, utility poles, power lines, exploding capacitors, windows falling out of buildings, façades collapsing. Around here our custom is that we are, generally—again, statistically—safer indoors.

Nothing fits together the way it should. I would suggest that is a major problem people are having understanding how this trial isn't a farce. It sounds more like a bad movie, and sure, that seems characteristic of the Italian government in general, but a number of factors seem counterintuitive, and resolving that question is a major fault line running through the range of perceptions and, thus, opinions.

Nothing about this case sounds right.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gustav Banned Banned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

??

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

It's funny you should mention Volcanoes.

I grew up in Auckland. Auckland City sits upon the Auckland Volcanic Field. activity began about 250,000 years ago, and the most recent eruption was 600 years ago. Compare the 1859 german map to the orange outline of the auckland metropolitan region, and notice that most of Auckland City - the Istmus, sits on lava flows, and cones &c.

One of the things we know about the field is that although there's no trend in he distribution, the eruptions are becoming more frequent, and more volumous - look at the 1959 map, and mentally transpose Rangitoto Island (volcano, top right corner) onto the Isthmus.

I always expected that any eruption would give days, or even weeks of notice, plenty of time for an evacuation.

I recently found out that there may only be a few hours worth of warning.

Agreed.

Agreed, although I once had an interesting conversation with an engineer who specialized in natural hazards - he seemed to be of the opinion that in the event of a large earthquake, the best place to be is the toilet. Why? It has the smallest roofing area, the smallest walls in the house (it is after all the smallest room), it's the part of the house generally speaking that's least likely to collapse, and should you become trapped, you will be trapped with a water supply (the cistern).

Agreed.

For my part, what I envisage as having happens is familiar, it's something that I see most days in my workplace. What I see in essence, is the people with the technical understanding being railroaded by the people with the power, who have local interests. It's something I've seen happen every day, hell, it's something I've personally experienced. The scenario I have, espoused, suggested, whatever you want to call it requires no greater assumption than de Bernadinis spoke to what he understood from what he had been told by the seismologists. That's not to say that he actually understood it correctly but that he thought he understood it - it's a scenario that we see played out in the micro everyday on sciforums, indeed, it's something that yourself, Gustav, and Bells have protested vociferously, when someone has thought they understood correctly what they were being told, or what was being said, and taken action, or made comments that have been considered by some to be out of proportion to what actually occured.

Bernado de Bernadinis is a fluid dynamicist, not a seismologist, and was speaking to matters outside his field of expertise, and because he did not have a high level of understanding of seismology, he got it wrong.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

However, this assessment appears at odds with what seismologists have known for at least 20 years—that small earthquakes increase the likelihood that a powerful event will happen in the near future, even if the absolute probability of such an event remains low. Indeed, Warner Marzocchi and Anna Maria Lombardi of the INGV showed that a few hours before the earthquake actually struck modelling would have suggested the chance that a powerful quake would occur within 10 kilometres of L’Aquila within three days rose from one in 200,000 (the background level) to about one in 1,000.

Thomas Jordan, an Earth scientist at the University of Southern California, in Los Angeles, who chaired an international review of earthquake forecasting in Italy in the wake of L’Aquila’s quake, says that these calculations must be put into context. He points out that, with the exception of an informal system in California, no country in the world has yet set up regular probabilistic earthquake forecasting that can be used to guide emergency actions. The hope of policymakers until recently was that research would identify precursor signals that could predict earthquakes with near certainty.​

trippy
    would you have any idea what the bolded refers to?

8. kira Valued Senior Member

I haven't noticed this before, but now that I read the link in the OP in its entirety:

There is this paragraph:

Funding needed

We put this to the mayor of L'Aquila, Massimo Cialente. He hopes the trial will prompt a national debate, and make it easier for him to raise the funds and support he needs to protect people against future earthquakes.

He said six days before the major quake he moved local children from a school damaged in an earlier tremor. He said he had no official budget to do that, because prevention is not a national priority.

"We closed the school and we had to transfer 500 pupils. I needed money, but I started the work without the money. If the quake did not happen I would be charged for that." ​

The red bolded part. What does it mean?? :shrug:

9. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

I means either he would have paid out of his pocket or been arrested?? Damned if you do and damned if you don't I guess. What a fuckin mess.

10. kira Valued Senior Member

Yeah :bugeye: (thanks for the reply, btw, I wasn't exactly sure what does it mean "to be charged" in this context).

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  11. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Let me be explicit here, I'm speculating.

Now that we've got that out of the way.

I'M SPECULATING!!

We clear?

They may be referring to this:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/09/20/ap/tech/main20108786.shtml

Which is a system that is still riddled with bugs, and under development.

It's based on the same system that the Japanese use (earthquakes produce two types of waves, fast waves and slow waves, it's the slow waves that cause the damage, the system in question works using the detection of the fast waves).

Addendum:
    Equally, they could be talking about this:

12. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

It's part of what I keep "Flapping my gums" and "Braying" about.

At the time of the 2009 Earthquake, there was (IIRC) a radiation technician making predictions based on Radon emissions and background Radon levels, that there would be a large earthquake at a particular location in the next n days. His location was out by 50 miles, and his date was wrong by a week, but he was effectively gagged by the highest levels of the Italian Government (I think Berlusconni himself may have been involved), this is part of the reason for the climate of fear at the time of the L'Aquilla earthquake. Even the people bringing the charges in the current case have admitted this.

Add to that there has been a prior instance of someone in Italy bringing charges against a seismologist for forecasting an earthquake that didn't occur. The case ultimately failed, but I haven't tracked down why it failed.

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

See tiassa its irrevelent what they "would have done" or "might have done", they wernt given the choice. Hense my earlier post about Rogers v Whitiker. INFORMED concent, without infomation people cant make acurate determinations and by giving false infomation its quite easy to manipulate people, especially when they are scared.

14. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

nice to see you avioided the question asked.

16. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I gave you a relvant answer, to your irrelevant question that once again misses the mark by a substantial margin.

You asked me how much I knew about them, and I answered that question.

17. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

The bushfire equivelant would be "there won't be one next week as we're in the rainy season" - so if you have an unusual dry spell and suddenly there is one, does that make the person at fault? Of course not, because you couldn't have predicted that.

Actually there really isn't a bushfire equivelant, because you can't accurately predict when and where those occur either beyond stating they will most likely occur in hot dry weather. Yet you're still trying to make analogies why someone is to blame for something that cannot be predicted. :bugeye:

18. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

It's this kind of thing that leads me to assert that you're not actually taking the time to read and understand my posts.
    Above and beyond what Antiflag has outlined...

If the Chief Commissioner of the CFA stood up and said there was no risk in Marysville, then I would first expect a non-judicial inquest into what happened at Marysville - a Coroners inquest, to determine what blame lay where. I would expect the coroner to focus on, among other things, whether the people on the ground did their job properly, whether that information was communicated effectively to the chief commissioner, and whether or not that information was communicated effectively by the chief commissioner. If the information communicated to the Chief Commissioner was accurate, but the information communicated by the Chief Commissioner was inaccurate, then it would seem that the Chief Commissioner was at fault, and pending the coroners decisions liable to whatever action was pending, not the entire CFA (which is why your argument fails).

19. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Thankyou.

20. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

In truth it feels a little like the scenario where the defense is cross examining a hostile witness (arressting officer), and asks the question "What else was discussed at the interview with my client?" And the witness responds with "I'd rather not answer that question, it think it would be a bad idea". To which the defense council responds "But I'm asking you, in a court of law, a question that is directly relevant to the case, and you're refusing to answer a question which is tantamount to with-holding evidence, so I ask you again, what else was discussed at the interview". And the witness replies "I would really rather not say, discussing it is a bad idea." And the lawyer replies "And I rather insist you must" and then goes into some lengthy diatribe regarding discovery of evidence and full disclosure, which the Judge cuts short with "Council, the witness has warned you twice, and now I'm warning you that this line of questioning is a bad idea, are you sure you wish to continue?" To which the defense council replies "Yes your honour" and the judge compels the witness to divulge what was discussed, and as it happened, it was the defendants prior convictions, which the Judge was now compelled to consider because the defense council had introduced it as evidence, and earned their client a harsher penalty than would otherwise have been received.

The point being that sometimes it's better to just keep your mouth shut, and in this instance in his fervor to try and contradict me, or demonize me, or prove me wrong, or whatever it is that Asguard was trying to prove, he actually illustrated my point for me (or part of it at any rate).

21. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

yes trippy its quite ovious that your argument boils down to scientists should be above the law, which is just stupid

Tiassa's comment on "free speach" ignores the fact that they were paid to do a job and therefore are responcible for doing or not doing that job.

Basically there was enough evidence for the case to go to trial, hense trippy's opinion is invalid. Its as simple as that. Wether they did what they have been accused of or not is a matter for the trial but the basic inditment is oviously valid. If it wasnt it would never have made it to court anymore than a charge of murder could be sustained with the alleged victom testifying

22. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Gee, would you look at this:

L’Aquila Mayor Massimo Cialente recalled his frustration at receiving no clear reply to his repeated questions and the apparent lack of concern on the part of some present.

“I well remember the words of Enzo Boschi who said, ‘What do you expect? An earthquake in L’Aquila is bound to happen at some point’,” said Cialente, who said he had been angered and worried by the answer.

It's from a source dated in 2010, regarding the meeting in question, when all of this first came up.

Now, what was it that myself, and others have said about the gap between what politicians want, and what Scientists can provide?

Kinda blows half the stuff mentioned in this thread out of the water, and supports what I have had to say.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  23. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

If this is what you took from what I have said in this thread, then you're wasting your time, and mine.

That's what you think? You think that the Judicial system is invalid? You think that not once in the entire history of the human race there has been a wrong legal decision?

No, it's not as simple as that.

What if I told you that if in the story I mentioned earlier regarding the illegal taking of water from an artesian aquifer, that the judge ruled in favour of the argument presented by the defense, and the case had to be appealed in a higher court?

I don't know what to say other than
    /guffaw That's what you're going with? Really?