On The Fringe

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Seattle, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I'm curious as to why this forum decided to include the whole "On The Fringe" sub-forum? It seems to attract the opposite of what it would seem that the overall forum was meant to attract in the first place.

I can see keeping "The Cesspool" or "Free Thoughts" as a single catch-all category but why have "On The Fringe" with all of its further sub-sub-categories?

Is there really a difference between "Alternative Theories" and "Pseudo-science"?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

UFO's, Ghosts, and Monsters ... really, in a forum called SciForums?

Just curious how all this came to be.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. leopold Valued Senior Member

yes.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Seattle Valued Senior Member

What might that be?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

8. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I have yet to see any alternative hypothesis put on this or any other forum, that has been deemed reasonable or ever likely to replace any incumbent model.

My reasoning tells me that if anyone had anything worthwhile, with any evidence that matches observations better then the incumbent model, in reality, they would not be posting here.

I understand your frustration, and I'm only a lay person..that same frustration must be 10 fold for any scientists seeing science dragged through the gutter as it often is by unscrupulous trolls as did chinglu, undefined and at least three other presently active trolls.

Why cannot we put a months grace on any alternative hypothesis, to show real evidence supporting their stance against the incumbent models, or any evidence genuinly invalidating that incumbent model.
    That and answering properly all questions put to them regarding their hypothesis...running the gauntlet in actual fact, just as present incumbent theories needed to do.
    After one month, if no evidence is forthcoming, or questions are not answered, then the thread is closed.

This worked on another forum I was on.

9. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

That would require mods who actually care about the content being posted. That is apparently not the case here.

10. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Perhaps threads like those started by theorist constant should be looked at?

11. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I agree with the view that there aren't likely to be any valid alternative theories put forth on this board and I don't quite see the point in having some of these threads last for a month.

It's not like any original research is going on here so nothing new is going to happen in a month. All of the data is already out there.

The question is do you provide a forum for cranks or do you try to discourage that kind of forum membership?

12. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Concisely, the names tell you:
    "Alternate theories" should be scientifically approached.
    "Pseudoscience" is only sorta scientific....

Not that SF has or applies clear definitions....

I am a member on another forum that tried several approaches of various rigor (including a paper submission forum), but it produced no value for the time spent moderating it.

Moderating crap forums is tough because crappy subjects, by definition require violations of forum rules, so the forum has to find a way to balance the contradictions to make it work....or just choose the no moderation route, like this place does.

13. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

The problems are:
    1. Most unknowns have already been researched, even if they yet have no answers. So they can go in the main sections.
    2. Laymen rarely, if ever, produce publication quality work (a properly formatted and researched paper), much less publication worthy work (an actual/valid new theory).

So by letter of the law, the Alternate Theories forum should be empty or contain only locked threads...which would be pointless.

14. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

I've posed the question to the mods in several threads and the answer essentially is (paraphrase) "yes, we want to be a forum for cranks" and "freedom is more important than quality".

Moderator comments in the current TC thread confitmed: we have to be nice to the crackpots, but the crackpots have no responsibility for quality content (contrary to forum rules that say they do).

15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I can't really argue with that.

16. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I wonder... if they made the nutcase sub-fora not viewable to non-members (like the Cesspool is) then we'd probably get fewer loons joining AND the added bonus that, since the rational posters wouldn't be so concerned about "protecting" / informing the less-educated (i.e. newbies/ lurkers who don't know how to tell crap from science) there'd be fewer relies to the loons and shorter (thus-shorter-lived) nutcase threads.
    Most the "traffic" in idiot threads is pointing out how stupid they for the benefit of the non-involved (because we all know that the proponents of such threads aren't going to learn of change their minds), so: fewer corrective posts, shorter threads and a quicker die-off.

17. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I think a good start would be (if possible) to make the crank sub-forum not be reflected in "new posts" so that you would have to actually go to the sub-forum to see those threads.

18. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

And then nuke those posters from orbit.
    It's the only way to be sure ...

19. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I don't know why we have any of those sub-forums other than perhaps the cesspool if someone thinks one is needed.

Who starts a science forum and then adds in crank forums?

20. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

It "pulls in the traffic" apparently.

21. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I'm sure it does as there is going to be very little science traffic pulled in given the forum's current reputation. How many "scientists" are going to want to hang around here?

22. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

That would only work with aggressive moderation of the Science forums.

23. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Nah, it would work by simply altering the access/ view rights to those sub-fora.
    If there were "aggressive" (or even active) moderation then there wouldn't be a need for my suggestion.