On a date: How much of the food on your plate should you eat?????

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Deathfromabove, Aug 10, 2007.

1. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

lol i agree with wine, but then again i think whiskey tastes like rocket fuel, i used to drink beer though. but i dont touch booze anymore atall, i still drink malt drinks though wich taste like soft beer. super malt or guiness malt.

i dont see anything wrong with picking up a bit of meat on the bone and chomping on it. aslong as you dont make a mess everywhere. i remember less than a year ago i was in a west london restaraunt, i was eating this minted lamb shank and thought the knife and fork were not good enough, because i was very hungry. so i picked it up and started to eat it. and some guy at the table next to us called me a caveman to his partner, i overheard and asked him to repeat that to my face. and i realised i was shaking the shank of meat at himwhile talking, and i did kind of look like caveman with his big club of meat, so i shut up and left it at that.

peace.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

yeah with friends its not usualy like that anyway, but with dates you will find the majority of guys will be expected to pay for everything. its good that you want to pay your half, but if you dont let the guy know beforehand then it can be awkward for him and he will most likely feel that he has some kind of duty to pay for it all.

peace.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yup, where ya been bro?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

exactly thats the problem, and its been drilled into everyones head from birth. "treat a lady like a lady" basicaly dont treat her like a equal human being with her own independance. treat her as a soft flower that is spoiled her whole life.

i have found it awkward plenty of times in the past when it comes to paying, because you never know what to expect. because the general rule (unwritten ofcourse) is that the guy pays for the meal, and if you dont pay you might offend, if you insist that you pay you might offend. if you suggest doing dutch you might offend. so for guys its not very easy and can cause problems.

i agree with the first date thing, out for a movie. but i have found a good way of dealing with potential gold diggers and snooty assholes. suggest to go somewhere free for your first date. like an art gallery or on a nice sunny day to the park. or something like a walk through the city and go in all the free attractions, like museums open exibitions and generaly just spend a day going about and getting to know each other.

i think its a good idea to talk tot he person about paying for things before going out. i know it might seem forward or cheap, but i prefer to be honest more than anything else with people. if i feel unsure i would rather get it out in the open than be lept waiting and thinking if it might be awkward. ask where they stand on the issue and tell them how you feel.

peace.

8. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I guess its not a good idea to go to Medieval Times where you eat with your hands lol

Big rule in my house growing up was "keep your elbows off the table

'

9. Xev Registered Senior Member

Yep. I don't really date (does anyone these days?) but when I do it's more a suggestion of a mutual event - art exhibition, get baked and go to the zoo, go to a concert, toss firecrackers at cop cars, that sort of thing. It also helps to guage whether they're worth talking to.
    Weeds out the prissy guys who don't want to do anything offbeat and the macho assholes who insist on doing expensive things then making a big show of paying.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

How do you eat crab in the shell?

11. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

eat has much has you want, then he will know what your really like, and if he doesnt like it and doesnt ask you out again then good riddance!

but use manners!

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Maybe put less on your plate then you actually think you can handle.
    If this is not possible, just eat whatever you want. Its hardly worth worrying about.

13. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

The rule of thumb I have always followed is whoever asked pays.
    If I asked her on a date - I pay.
    If she asked me on a date - she pays.

By the way, I really enjoy red wine, and think EmptyForceOfChi description of whiskey as rocket fuel was pretty dead on.

Also, to the opening poster, you should want the person to get to know who you are, not try and pretend to be who you want them to be.
    Would you rather someone be honestly who he is so you can get to know him, or do you want him to try and pretend to be who he thinks you want him to be, only to find out later on that you don't know him as well as you thought you did?
    Do you want him to lie to you and pretend to be a doctor to impress you?

14. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

You have to be very very tiny, or it has to be a very large crab.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Oh hell no. The guy paying is a perk to being a girl. Evolution stuck me with a period and childbirth. Evolution stuck him with paying for the date. He asked me out, it was his idea, he can pay for it.

17. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

What if you asked him out?

18. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I've never yet had a woman pay for our lunch. The company of women , to me, is worth the price of admission.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Wow, er, ummm, ok.

Personally I demand to be treated as on an equal basis, so I extend the same consideration. Though periods suck, but hey, we don't have to shave our faces every day or risk turning into a billy goat.

20. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i pay for meals out, and i like to know that i have paid for somthing good

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah that too, I like food and if I am paying, I can order what I want to eat; I don't expect to have doors held open, chairs pulled out, car doors opened, blah blah. I'm too impatient for all that stuff. All a lot of nonsense in my opinion. What I do appreciate in a man is intelligence, consideration, honesty and kindness.

22. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I open doors for my date - I still open them for my wife.
    It has nothing to do with being a woman, however - I open doors for my father and my friends, too.
    It has to do with respect and consideration.

It took my feminist wife some getting used to, though, I'll say that.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah, my brother likes to do all that stuff too. It really annoys him when I rush forward and pre-empt him. He's convinced civilisation has passed me by.