Oldest Fragment of the Earth confirmed

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Kittamaru, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Yeah, I seem to recall there's even some evidence vaguely suggestive of life in some of the early Greenland formations.

Makes me wonder what we're missing because we haven't looked in the right places yet...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I think that is part of the Mormon belief. I knew a Mormon Ph.D. in physics who was so well indoctrinated that he said reason that we think some stars / galaxies are millions of light years away, is God created the light streaming towards earth so that it seems to be that way - that they must be millions of years old.

When asked why God would intentionally trick men, answer was: To test their faith.
    There was no way for us to know if the Universe radius was only ~10,000 light years or much bigger. God could have made the stars /galaxies far away as they seem to be and the long stream of light all say only 8,000 years ago.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

It's implied by a literal interpretation of the lines of ancestry laid out in Genesis.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

2012 Pew poll: 46% of Americans believe that God created humans within the past 10,000 years. 67% of regular churchgoers believe this and 58% of Republicans believe this.

2009 NCSE poll: 39% of Americans agree that “God created the universe, the earth, the sun, moon, stars, plants, animals, and the first two people within the past 10,000 years.” However in the exact same poll only 18% agreed that "the earth is less than 10,000 years old." Go figure.