old testament names

Discussion in 'Comparative Religion' started by mathman, Nov 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mathman Valued Senior Member

The author(s) of the book of genesis seem to have been male chauvinists. The only woman named until the generation of Abraham is eve. For example the section on Noah names his sons, but not his wife or his son's wives.

Dennis Tate likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. timojin Valued Senior Member

I would say that is matter of time . Abraham 4000 years ago , Noah perhaps 4500 to 8000 years ago

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

The first ten names seem to form a pretty neat message. One near death experiencer stated that Moses was taken back in time and given all of the Book of Genesis.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

That is completely off topic for this thread. Please stop inserting NDEs into every thread. NDEs have not been shown to give anybody any special knowledge.

exchemist likes this.
  8. exchemist Valued Senior Member

But wait, isn't Chaim Henry Tujman, M.D., an Old Testament name?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

James R likes this.
  9. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Actually, no, it isn't.

10. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

They never pretended to be anything else. In those days that was considered a virtue and a duty.
    To non chauvinist, that would be Eve.
    That's because they're a mystery. They didn't come from anywhere in Adam's line, nor were they Noah's daughters. There was some loose talk about angels mating with human females, and I guess they didn't name their offspring. Noah's daughters-in-law may have been from that tribe.

11. exchemist Valued Senior Member

12. Luchito Registered Senior Member

What a despicable question accusing the good will of the honourable ancient men mentioned in the most holy of the holies books.

The names of those ancient men belonged to heads of families, clans, tribes. It is like to our modern world when we mention mayors, governors, presidents, (my beloved president Trump bewteen them).

So, when I read the news, their wives are mentioned maybe 10 times in 5 years while the names of those men in charge are mentioned hundreds of times a month or a year.

Same it happens when the political leader is a woman. The queen of England is mentioned very often but what about the husband? Well, probably in a wedding, aniversary, funeral, only sometimes until he dies.

It is not out of common that the name of the wives of those biblical men are not mentioned because in our current society happens a similar scenario. Check how many times the name of the wife of Joe has been mentioned since he became president. Not many. And for you this situation portraits Joe and the whole communication media as a bunch of male chauvinists? Come on.

Matchman, before oppening an agenda portraying as male chauvinists to the writers of the Bible, better is to THINK and MEDITATE and COMPARE if today same sceanrio does happen. And it does.

13. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

In case there was any doubt Luchito is a troll, interested in nothing but a pot to stir.

14. Luchito Registered Senior Member

So, from your point of view, being a president Trump supporter makes him a troll.

What if he was a Joe supporter?

Better going back to topic. One can't just accuse others in base of personal feelings or ideals. First is to search if the other's position is in error or negative or harmful or etc. If we were to point fingers at right and left without a valid reason, then we will found ourselves at the same level of the person we are acussing and even in a worst status than him.

Of course I will aggregate my inner wishes in my messages, but those won't be the main statement but just a decoration. From my message you didn't give a dime for the explanation but solely for the part when the political leader was mentioned.

I wish I can do the same than you, so I can understand better your behavior.

My regards.

15. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

You.
    You are the troll.
    Injecting an irrelevant inflammatory topic for the sole purpose of getting a reaction - that is the definition of a troll.

16. Luchito Registered Senior Member

I have the right to support the leader I like, that won't make me a troll. I can praise him, adore him, and more, that is me, and same when other people do the same for Joe Biden, I don't call them trolls when they show their support.

By the way, is any place or rule where it says Trump supporters are not welcome? If so, show me, and I leave this site immediately.

Anyway, you keep following me and calling me troll, and it's working for you, because I just received an infraction note.

I participate in forums for education and information, and the extense library shows more than current websites publications, and it appears you have never had access to such information. In the topic here, I have explained why only names of the heads of clans, and tribes were mentioned, because those were men, not women. The Bible writers have nothing against women, there is even a part where Abraham obeyed his wife and had sex with their slave. Sadly, like Adam obeying Eve, the consequences of having a child with the slave caused them lots of trouble.

However, names of women are mentioned from Genesis up the New Testament, and nothing encourages to establish the writers were male chauvinists.

Respect deserves respect. You don't see anything wrong with that malicious accusation against the writers of the bible, but you find me a troll because my message clarified the reason of no women's names from Eve to Sara.

17. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Quit trolling!

18. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Ummmmm does not appear to be working

Thought of trying something else?

origin likes this.
  19. Bells Staff Member

Mod Note

Here is what makes you a troll..

You resurrected a months long dead thread on old testament names and the very blatant sexism in the bible, to have a political whine.

And for your FYI, the Christian bible does not mention Naamah, or the wives of his sons. At all. Which given their roll in the aftermath, says a lot of the sexism and chauvinism of the writers.

And thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.