OIC pushing for global anti-(Islamic) blasphemy law

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by GeoffP, Dec 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Interesting how that happened, no?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Respect ma authoratay! The new cry of stupid. Don't you dare criticise a system that executes homosexuals, imprisons women and suppresses anyone not following the state religion! Or we will do it more!

Really, will there be a time when stupidity of this sort is just treated on its own merits, rather than accorded some kind of special exception based on some absurd internalized guilt? Oh, those darn Crusades! And some of us thought your mosque location was insensitive! What's that? You want us to ignore your brutalising the defenseless members of your societies? Why, it's the least we could do.

Strangely, I don't think this view is much in their mindset. Can I complain about the vilification of my religion over yonder?

Er, slightly, yes.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

They should just call it H.R. 1913

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

More of an Islamic-specific H.R. 1913. Close-ish, though.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

They are all kissing cousins anyway

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Or did you imagine the religion clause in H R 1913 was to protect Christians in America from being hated?

8. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

So it's bigoted at the national level in the US, and more generally via the OIC.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Well it is a hate crimes bill. No matter which side of it you stand [Jews or homosexuals vs Arabs or Muslims] there is always some justification to both offend or be offended. The only certainty is that everyone feels morally obligated to take a side.

10. Gustav Banned Banned

do you need a tug to come ashore?
    seems like the winds off your sails

11. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Well, you could certainly stand for a hate crimes bill that was going to be evenly enforced. As it stands now, I suspect that you're right and that it's an Islamic protection bill. I've no doubt that before long some Muslim suspects will complain that their wife-beating activity is thus protected, as is the right of imams to preach hate against other religions, both here in the US and elsewhere. A fair bill one could support, but not more protectionism for something that a) doesn't require it and b) doesn't extend it to anyone else.

Classless and unsophisticated, to say nothing of imperialist.

12. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Oh Gustav: if the pointless criticism of trolls were enough to gladden me, don't you think I'd already be delerious with joy by now?

13. Gustav Banned Banned

non sequiter sparky
    criticism of any variety very rarely engenders feelings of joy
    in the few, if any, instances that it does, i would not hesitate to infer mental retardation, perhaps even madness. here, i am obviously right

14. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Don't be silly: some people actually enjoy a debate with reasoned, thoughtful commentary by mature, intelligent individuals.

Needless to say, I'm not holding my breath.

15. Gustav Banned Banned

of course

good luck

/snicker

16. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Religious extremists make a better case for atheism than we atheists do, we just need to make sure not to get too tangled up in their trainwrecks as the 21st century age of info obliterates them.

17. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Oh, it's working better than you think.

/SNEER

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It seems to me this law would make Islam itself illegal, since parts of the Quran may offend people of other religions.

19. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Well, if acted on or forthrightly propounded, I could see some problems for any of the three Abrahamics.

As for which one is most likely to offend, I'll leave it up to the reader. Still, it's a little ironic that the globally most offensive religion of the three (i.e. Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Pakistan, Malaysia, etc) is the one that demands protection. From what? one might ask. On a related note:

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Ah but do you have the right to be offended?

We live increasingly in a culture of wimps who have to be protected from words and thoughts that are too complex for them to be exposed to in their raw form

21. birch Valued Senior Member

it's always been this way. it just seems different but it's not. people have always been trying to censor others either through belligerence, argument, undermining, ostrization or peer pressure/group-think etc.

i could even say that more different ideas are tolerated today than ever before.

22. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Of course. What I do not have the right to do is shut down fair criticism.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I agree that its not a new problem. But the degree of political correctness in the west, be it media, academia, liberal politicians and worse, students, who are supposed to be the stuff of revolutions rather than apathetic weak entities manipulated by the system is excessive when compared to other places. Even though more information is available today and there is greater diversity of opinion available to us, the thought and morality of societies is becoming ever insular, ever intolerant

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.