Offensive PETA ad / Animal ethics?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Kernl Sandrs, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Kennyc Registered Senior Member

What's for Thanksgiving?

ToFuRKY?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

F*ckin' Aces man, way to keep it real. If you don't ascend and come back, you will definitely be a vegetarian in the next go around man.

GOLD STAR. You rock. :cheers:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Ah, quadraphonics, my friendly stalker. Always a pleasure to hear more from you.

Let's cut to the chase, shall we?

You think it's an honour to be bred solely for the purpose of consumption by another animal? I guess you imagine that your rightful place in the rich tapestry of life is to have all cows and chickens bow down and thank you every time you have one of them slaughtered to satisfy your appetites. quadraphonics: King of the Beasts. Master of all he surveys! And oh so moral and righteous!

Praise him. Praise him!

Do your views apply equally to breeding other humans for your consumption, too? I assume not. Because humans are special and "above" the cows and chickens. Is that correct? If so, tell me why. Why are you King of the Beasts, and Entitled, quadraphonics?

What do you think their position would be on the matter, if they could tell you?

Or do you think that the fact that they cannot tell you justifies your position?

If the roles were reversed, would you be happy with the status quo? If not, why not?

How much do you know about factory farming? Do you think it's all hunky dory for the animals?

Take battery hens, for example. Any cruelty there, do you think, or do you think that, by and large, the majority of battery hens live good lives and ought to be thankful for the conditions they are raised in?

What is the salient difference?

Are you aware that humans are animals? I'm sure a smart guy like you knows that.

So, what is this salient difference you speak of that justifies treating non-human animals as mere property, while giving human beings rights such as a right not to be arbitrarily bred and killed for consumption?

Are "we"? Maybe if you want to know what I'm countenancing, then rather than setting up more straw men you could ... like ... ask me.

Are you always this disingenous? I believe I have discussed this very point with you before, yet here you are ascribing to me a position that I have never expressed.

In other words, you have erected another straw man. You've knocked it down, and off you go with a smug smile congratulating yourself on a job well done.

Are you consciously aware of your alteration of my position, or is this how you remember it from our previous conversations?

Also, it's one thing to push this distortion onto others in the hope that they'll buy it as the argument that I actually put to you, but it's quite another for you to imagine that I'm dumb enough not to notice, or not to pull you up on it. I was there during our previous discussion, remember?

Please precis your memory of the point about nervous systems, because here again I sense that you either didn't grasp the actual argument, or have retrospectively edited your memory of it so that it has become a straw-man that is easy for you to demolish in your own mind.

Hint: you don't do it on the basis of the type of nervous system (or lack on one).

Would you like me to explain it to you again? Or you could go back and read the last time I told you. But let me know if you need help.

Then why make the kind of silly statement that I responded to with my comment? You're a strange one, quadraphonics.

Well, in part you are. But then again you've misrepresented and/or mentally revised at least two of those arguments already in this single response.

I don't think you've grasped the Principle of Equal Consideration yet. I can explain it again to you if you like. Just let me know.

Now I know you don't understand the principle.

They have. I have.

It's not my fault if you want to keep rationalising to yourself and knocking down your straw men. At least I tried. Some people are too set in their ways. Some people just aren't that moral, or are morally inconsistent. Some people are wilfully blind. And some just don't grasp the relevant arguments. And so it goes.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

You again! Hi TW Scott!

Long time no see. You disappear from the forum for months on end, but you come running back at the first whiff of an argument about vegetarianism.

Still feeling guilty, deep down?

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Having replied to the substance of quadraphonics' post, let's see what's left. Hmm... there's the sniping, of course.

Is this guy good, or what? You be the judge. Remember, as quadraphonics himself says:

Always a pleasure.

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Here's some stuff that's relevant to the kinds of points I have raised in this thread:

[enc]equal_consideration[/enc]

I urge people who are new to the topic of animal rights to read this, so I don't have to repeat some of the basics again.

I also urge quadraphonics to read it. I was under the impression that he'd read it before, but it seems either he didn't understand it the first time, or else has only a vague memory of the arguments put there now.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  10. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

@James R

I clicked on the 'Equal consideration', but an empty article shows up. *shrugs*

this is not about vegetarianism though..it's about animals being kept under atrocious circumstances..

I don't understand why vegetarianism is always thrown into topics that are about animal rights and the way they're being mistreated.

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

For some reason, the link didn't work. I have altered it so that it works now.

12. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually, I have posted ina few other threads in the last few weeks.

And you'll notice i took a nuetral stand.

However there NOTHING for me to feel guilty over as I enjoy my bacon cheeseburger.

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

So you say, TW Scott. So you say. It's a pity you lack any justification.

14. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

I don't need any justification for enjoying a bacon cheeseburger.

15. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Justification is for those who think that they need to vindicate something.

I have done nothing needing either. I am merely one omnivorous animal consuming food.

16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

*sigh*

Another one who's never actually considered the issue.

Really, why bother posting at all, if you're just going to display your ignorance?

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

TW Scott:

And yet, here you are in this thread. Why are you here?

18. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

So if I don't agree with your position, it must be ignorance?

If nature did not intend for me to eat meat, I would not have canine teeth for tearing it. Nor would I be able to digest meat.

Therefore, I must conclude that it is your position which may be labled as unnatural.

19. woowoo Registered Senior Member

a lame argument much used by meat eaters unable to rise above
    their primitive origins; and after gorging on the raw flesh, under the direction
    of the remnants of their reptilian brain they crawl back into the swamp.

20. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

My opinion is not solidified on this issue. I don't find that most ethical issues can be resolved so definitively or universally, there are too many variables. But I figure I'll test the waters and see how I fair.

The unqualified statement that meat eating is universally "immoral" seems unsound to me. We've leapt past the defining arguments and gone to the conclusion. I'll attempt to set the argument back to the beginning and present my argument.

For the moment, in order to have the discussion become overly complicated, I'll consider only food animals and killing them humanely in order to eat them. Other considerations, while realistic, involve a vast array of values and principles that will confuse the issue beyond any debatable scope.

The judgment as to whether eating animals is moral or immoral depends on the relative value placed on the animal(s) in question. If the animal's food value is greater than its intrinsic value as a living thing it is perfectly moral to eat them. If their intrinsic value is greater it immoral.

To demonstrate that these values are not constant and to set some sort of boundary values, let's take the example of a human in extremis with no food source other than a live animal. Is it moral for a human at the point of starvation to kill and eat an animal in order to survive? Would it be moral for a father to do so to save the life of his child?

My personal answer to this is yes, all things being equal I value a human life over the life of an individual of another species. Although there may be some that disagree with this I think the opinion is extreme enough to put them well outside the norm. So I will conclude for the moment that at some point an animal's food value does exceed its intrinsic value.

At the other end of the scale is what is often presented as the moral argument for vegetarianism. If a human has no need for meat to sustain life and health, is it moral for a human to kill and eat an animal for mere gastronomic pleasure.

This picture is a bit fuzzier in my mind. While at first take my reaction tends towards no, I think that most people (myself included) do regard pleasure as being rather high in value. Certainly it drives a great deal of human behavior, often overriding other highly valued ethical principles and at some point I think it can be fairly stated that any human may be so motivated. The person who has never committed an act out of emotion that they later regarded as immoral is welcome to contest the point but again I think this range is fair enough that those who are sinless are outside the norm.

Let's take the Epicurean point of view, however, and consider the case of gluttonous meat eating. From this view, although we might say that at the beginning the pleasure value is rather high as it decreases it becomes rather low or even nonexistent. At some point, let's say after a huge Thanksgiving dinner after you've had to unbutton your pants and roll onto the couch, killing an animal in order to eat yet more becomes immoral. That is, the live animal has some value greater than one gets by shoveling yet more down one's gullet.

I will anticipate a protest from those who might believe that an animal has no intrinsic value and state that at the very minimum, a live animal may be killed another day to feed you when you are actually hungry or perhaps it may pull a plow or lay eggs.

We now have some reasonable value boundaries for the question. On one side, it is moral to eat an animal to save a human life. On the other, gluttonous meat eating is immoral.

This is already a long post and I find it gets even more complicated further on so I'll stop for the moment to see what the response is.

~Raithere

21. woowoo Registered Senior Member

I don't have a problem with that position, except to say that the life
    saving scenario, in the developed world, would be relatively uncommon,
    while the gluttonous side appears to be the norm.

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

AlexG:

No. It's that you haven't even begun to examine what my position is. All you have is an unthinking belief that everything you do is automatically moral and good. Or, alternatively, that you haven't even considered that your choices about what you consume may have a moral dimension. And yet you feel the need to enter this thread to trumpet your unthinking beliefs.

You're not the only one, of course. There are lots of others just like you.

Your mistake here is that you assume that everything that is "natural" is moral and good. But you're supposed to have evolved a moral sense along with your canine teeth. That means you are, in theory, capable of thinking about things and of making decisions based on morality rather than base desires and "instincts".

On the flip side, there are many many things you do all the time that are "unnatural", but that doesn't stop you doing them.

23. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Alex G:

One other thought.

Would you be happy to raise human beings so you could eat them? After all, canines that are good for tearing flesh can tear human flesh just as well as chicken or cow flesh.

So, if human was on the menu, would you have any moral qualms about chowing down? If you would, on what basis?